Difficulty in installation of Titan disc brakes?

RoadJunkie

3 1/2 hours is pretty darn quick. I just did my own and it wasn't close to that quick, but then I have only done one set. I love the improved braking capability.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
3 1/2 hours is pretty darn quick. I just did my own and it wasn't close to that quick, but then I have only done one set. I love the improved braking capability.

At the NY rally it was a 3 person crew. They did 2 rigs a day plus an additional wheel bearing repack job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titanguy

At the NY rally it was a 3 person crew. They did 2 rigs a day plus an additional wheel bearing repack job.

It is 8-10 man hours for a complete install. 2 man crew works and with summer daylight it is easy to do 2 installs a day.

SHerrick

It is 8-10 man hours for a complete install. 2 man crew works and with summer daylight it is easy to do 2 installs a day.
Thinking of having this done, but the video I saw had the wire harness at the pin box being external and I'm wondering about the rest of the installation looking like the minor mods Doc Brown made to his Delorian in Back To The Future!

anybody have Bighorn post disc brake install pictures?

Titanguy

Thinking of having this done, but the video I saw had the wire harness at the pin box being external and I'm wondering about the rest of the installation looking like the minor mods Doc Brown made to his Delorian in Back To The Future!

Not sure what video you were looking at but on all of our installs the wiring is pulled from the front compartment into the pin box. Nothing is on the exterior.
We have never found a Bighorn that there was any problem pulling the wire.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
I helped a friend install the Titan system on his Big Country. The Titan install kit is awesome. It comes with everything you need to complete the job except bearing grease. Took us about 7 hrs of actual work, but we had issues getting his wheels off due to seized lugs. Other than the lugs, the hydraulic lines were the biggest pain. If you have ever repacked the bearings on a vehicle with disc brakes you should be able to do the install.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I helped a friend install the Titan system on his Big Country. The Titan install kit is awesome. It comes with everything you need to complete the job except bearing grease. Took us about 7 hrs of actual work, but we had issues getting his wheels off due to seized lugs. Other than the lugs, the hydraulic lines were the biggest pain. If you have ever repacked the bearings on a vehicle with disc brakes you should be able to do the install.
Did his kit come with the grade 8 bolts, nuts, and washers ???
Mine DID NOT. I have to go to OSH and get everything they had the go to the next town to Ace hardware to get the rest.
I know they claim to have everything in there though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I'll be darn :-\
I think I spent almost $50 or more on all of the grade 8 bolts I needed.
I guess I got shorted :-(

StrongJava

I recently did mine on the Bighorn with a friend's help. I am extremely grateful for his help because I seem to have developed a condition in recent months that doesn't allow me to work for extended periods on my back. The running of the lines, in particular, requires that.

The kit didn't quite have everything so I would inventory all parts carefully. I had to purchase the grease and brake fluid (full quart, but could be a touch more depending on how the bleeding goes). I can understand that not being shipped with the kit though, but I wish they'd point it out on the website. But, I also had to buy a dust cap because my kit was missing one, and new cotter pins as they probably shouldn't be reused. Also, the kit didn't come with the bolts or screws to mount the pump.

Back to the dust cap, the one I bought locally wasn't quite right, and I had to buy a pair ($20). Ron sent me the correct cap as soon as I told him about the shortage, but as I had already done the job I needed a temp fix.

@SHerrick What pictures do you want? I can take additional ones today and post them, or I might have some already. There are also a lot of pics already in blog posts people have put up.

Let me know!

Cheers, Tim

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'll be darn :-\
I think I spent almost $50 or more on all of the grade 8 bolts I needed.
I guess I got shorted :-(

Reach out to Titanguy he may be able to help you out

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired

Here are a couple photos of my install on our BH 3670. Mine is a Carlisle actuator but I don't think the Titan would be much different (as far as wiring anyway). One thing I've noticed with some installs is that any excess brake line was coiled up rather than cut to fit. I don't know the reasoning behind this but it may be worth asking.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_199.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_199.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN2758.jpg
    DSCN2758.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 71

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Mine also came with these little plastic clips to succure the brake lines to the frame. I chose to upgrade to a better clamp. I bought 2 packs of 10 count on Amazon.

2f6cb3422b84ed1d9e66839770a58c5c.jpg

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Mine also came with these little plastic clips to succure the brake lines to the frame. I chose to upgrade to a better clamp. I bought 2 packs of 10 count on Amazon.

2f6cb3422b84ed1d9e66839770a58c5c.jpg

I've ordered the kit from Ron as a DIY and will probably upgrade those clips as well.
One of our state HOC members just did his own install. He said it took him the best part of 2 days himself and went without a hitch.