Digital controls

Bigbovine

I went to parts at CW to see about replacing mechanical thermostat with Digital. Was told I would have to change the board in the AC unit to Digital so they would work. I do A C for a living and this makes no sense to me. Is the correct in the RV world?

weekender01

Not sure what unit you have, but most of the time this is not correct. The biggest issue is matching up the correct wires with the digital thermostat. I had an analog thermostat in a previous trailer and changed it to a digital thermostat. Googled the directions and found many videos and instructions on how to match up all the various wires.

Once I wired it up it worked great.

CDN

B and B
Hello,
A Standard Honeywell home thermostat will work to replace a analog one. Drop the R and RC jumper. You need to figure out which speed blower you want, I did select high speed. I did this with a standard AC and Suburban Furnace

danemayer

They may be thinking about moving to a Dometic digital thermostat, which will not replace an analog thermostat. Residential digital thermostats should work.

Bigbovine

I guess I should have elaborated a little. I have the Coleman-Mach mechanical thermostat and wanted to replace it with the Coleman-Mach digital unit. The only reason is because I want a digital reading/ more precise control over temperature. I would like to keep things "factory", otherwise I would just grab a cheapy out of my truck to replace.
so, if I understand right I can do this, with no special mods to the main unit? Like I said, I do this for a living commercial and residential, it just didn't sound right when they said that I couldn't swap thermostats.

weekender01

You most certainly can do that since mine was also a Coleman Mach. It is very easy and in fact I think it may even include the wiring instructions with the thermostat.

Relayman

the digital coleman thermostat should work nust fine. danemayer is probably
spot on. The new Dometic ac systems use ( believe it or not) uses a modbus-like communications system to communicate between the themostat, and the control board in the unit. Thats the way I understand it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk