DirecLink Brake Controller

Gary521

Does anybody have any expreience with this controller? On the surface it sounds pretty good. Why is it ( if it is ) any better that a Tekonsha P3 controller ( or any other controller for that matter)? This controller was featured a few months back in Trailer Life Magazine.

tmcran

Don't know much about this setup. However, I use the Maxbrake controller. It is full proportional. I have used about ever controller there is and the Maxbrake is outstanding. Once it is setup you don't have to recallibrate each time you change trailers. I use three different types.

CrazyCooter

I'm in the market as well.....done with the P3 and it's non ability to stop this rig. Worked OK with my 10K lb trailer, but with this is fiver it's just not enough.

Max Brake is first on the list right now. The Direclink looks great on paper, but I'm seriously done with controllers that GUESS how much brake pedal has been applied. Besides that, all my gauges come from the OBD2 port and the Direclink requires the use of that port as well.

The Max Brake is the only one I can find that reads line pressure and applies the trailer brakes based on that info. I have read of multiple failures and questionable customer service though. Tekonsha has been awesome to work with, they have just discontinued some their best controllers after the acquisition by Cequent.

tmcran

I'm in the market as well.....done with the P3 and it's non ability to stop this rig. Worked OK with my 10K lb trailer, but with this is fiver it's just not enough.

Max Brake is first on the list right now. The Direclink looks great on paper, but I'm seriously done with controllers that GUESS how much brake pedal has been applied. Besides that, all my gauges come from the OBD2 port and the Direclink requires the use of that port as well.

The Max Brake is the only one I can find that reads line pressure and applies the trailer brakes based on that info. I have read of multiple failures and questionable customer service though. Tekonsha has been awesome to work with, they have just discontinued some their best controllers after the acquisition by Cequent.

Humm, not sure where you read are heard this. I have used the Maxbrake on three trailers and my RV. Never a Problem. The Maxbrake does have a diagnostic program that will alert you if the connection is not good. ie if the hook up is not tight, if a wiring problem exists and etc. I would guess over 98% of problems are related to poor connections and not the Maxbrake. A good friend that sells trailers from 6 foot bumper pulls to 40 foot goose necks got me on the Maxbrake. On his big trailers he strongly recommends the Maxbrake system. He is always surprised that people will spend thousands on a TV and trailer and skimp on the biggest safety item they have to protect their investment ...trailer brakes. Oh, if ya call Maxbrake you will not have to speak to "Peggy.":cool:

CrazyCooter

No doubt in my mind it is better than any of the mainstream controllers. I just had read some stuff from hot shotters having issues multiple times and complaining of having to have a backup controller handy while they sent in the Direclink for repair/warranty.

That's two guys and cases. If that's all the dirt they have on the internet, were good!

porthole

Retired
The Max Brake is the only one I can find that reads line pressure and applies the trailer brakes based on that info.

Well you could get a 2011-2012 Ford :D
The new trucks have line pressure proportional trailer brakes, and it works very good.

CrazyCooter

MaxBrake on the way.

Everyone says well worth the extra money, should be a nice addition. Looking forward to smooth stopping.

porthole

Retired
Jim Horst, dieselengineer here on the site, has the Max in his Doge and swears by it.Still need good wiring back to the brakes though, which in your case is already done. Only other thing to do is disc brakes. That is a pricey upgrade.

After having the Ford version of the hydraulic integration in my truck, I think that is the only way I will go in the future for towing heavy trailers.

The Ford controller being integrated to all the truck's systems, steps it up a bit. At speeds lower then 20 mph the system voltage is reduced about 20% to reduce the tugging that is common in high gain settings and stop and go traffic.
Another super feature is the hill hold. When going up hill and stopped, the brakes will hold for approximately 2 seconds while you transition from brake to throttle.

tmcran

The adapters for the master cylinder are very well made. May have to bend a little but very little. Follow directions and you will be fine.
You are going to be a happy camper.:cool:

CrazyCooter

Should be here this week.....

Just in time for another camping trip! Logged 40 nights since Sept....not bad for a workin' guy!

Dutch & Di

We've had our max brake for over 3 years of fulltime use and never a problem. Wouldn't be without it. We had the Jordon Ultima before that and thought that was great til we tried the Max Brake. You won't be sorry fer sure!!! Di