Direct TV or Dish

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I change mine with DISH by phone every time we move. Takes about 5 minutes for the system to reset. Should not be an “in the works” response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I change mine with DISH by phone every time we move. Takes about 5 minutes for the system to reset. Should not be an “in the works” response.

X2 on the Dish App. Pay bill, change service plans, activate, etc.
Changes are immediate...

szewczyk_john

I have been with Dish Network almost from their start up in my sticks and brick home. We have 2 receivers for our home service controlling 4 TVs. We use our trailer about 10 times a year. I take the receiver from our master bedroom with us on trips and we hook it up to a Winegard Carry-out automatic dish. I have not upgraded to the Joey receivers nor do I want to as they are not comparable with my carryout unit. By doing this, we are not charged anything extra. If we go outside the "local viewing area" of my home zip code, we can not get the local channels. We can call and change the local viewing area as others have mentioned but then that disables the anyone left at home from viewing the local channels back home. So we usually just rely on the OTA for local channels when using the trailer.

I tell you this because you need to be aware, there are still some things being sold that will say they are comparable with Dish Network but they will not work with the Joey receivers. Just make sure you do your homework. The price for the automatic antenna have been coming down and I really enjoy not having to manually set up the dish anymore. My carryout actually bounces between the 2 different satellites as I change the channels. As far as I know the carryout can be used for DTV, Dish, Bell(Canadian sat provider).

a year OK, dish called and wanted to update our entire house setup. I agreed to new roof mounted stuff to be used with the new satellites but refused the Joey upgrade. When I explained to the local technician my reasoning, he told me that the carryout system was not that good of a unit and if I ever needed to replace it, that I should look at the King Product line. I am just passing along his recommendation, but the carryout has worked just fine for us.

Lynn1130

I have had both over the years. They both have good and bad points. Customer service with either depends upon who you get on the phone at the time. Some are good and some are bad. I left DISH for home service years ago after they messed up, royally, my service and bill. I have had Directv for the last 5 years or so. However, and a big however Direct does not have HDTV with a carryout. You have to carry around the huge antenna, which is bulky, at times difficult to set up, and takes up space in storage that I need for other things. I, therefore, use DISH, a Tailgator, and am on a family member's service for $7 a month. It sets up quickly, gives me HDTV and takes up little space when stored.

Wanderlust

I have been with Dish Network almost from their start up in my sticks and brick home. We have 2 receivers for our home service controlling 4 TVs. We use our trailer about 10 times a year. I take the receiver from our master bedroom with us on trips and we hook it up to a Winegard Carry-out automatic dish. I have not upgraded to the Joey receivers nor do I want to as they are not comparable with my carryout unit. By doing this, we are not charged anything extra. If we go outside the "local viewing area" of my home zip code, we can not get the local channels. We can call and change the local viewing area as others have mentioned but then that disables the anyone left at home from viewing the local channels back home. So we usually just rely on the OTA for local channels when using the trailer.

I tell you this because you need to be aware, there are still some things being sold that will say they are comparable with Dish Network but they will not work with the Joey receivers. Just make sure you do your homework. The price for the automatic antenna have been coming down and I really enjoy not having to manually set up the dish anymore. My carryout actually bounces between the 2 different satellites as I change the channels. As far as I know the carryout can be used for DTV, Dish, Bell(Canadian sat provider).

a year OK, dish called and wanted to update our entire house setup. I agreed to new roof mounted stuff to be used with the new satellites but refused the Joey upgrade. When I explained to the local technician my reasoning, he told me that the carryout system was not that good of a unit and if I ever needed to replace it, that I should look at the King Product line. I am just passing along his recommendation, but the carryout has worked just fine for us.

Thank your for taking the time to respond! This was a lot of great information.

Wanderlust

I have had both over the years. They both have good and bad points. Customer service with either depends upon who you get on the phone at the time. Some are good and some are bad. I left DISH for home service years ago after they messed up, royally, my service and bill. I have had Directv for the last 5 years or so. However, and a big however Direct does not have HDTV with a carryout. You have to carry around the huge antenna, which is bulky, at times difficult to set up, and takes up space in storage that I need for other things. I, therefore, use DISH, a Tailgator, and am on a family member's service for $7 a month. It sets up quickly, gives me HDTV and takes up little space when stored.

Thanks for the response!!

SNOKING

I use wingnuts on the dish to mount connection, as the dish is easily removed. Also have the arm with the lever to attach and remove the LNB easily. I use a fold up DTV roof tripod with adapter on mast for the large mount. Alignment is quite easy with the scales built into the slime line mount. Assure the mast is vertical, set the TV to the meters(101 and then 103). Put my cell phone up in front of the TV(selfie stick with tripod) with IP Webcam app running. Take my tablet and telenet to the smart phone (Smart phone and tablet both on MiFi network) app and see the meters out side on the tablet while swinging the arch of the dish to find sats. Then fine tune and I am done.

I find a chat session with DTV works very well. the agents want good reviews, so they are very helpful. Can change locations fast on chat than on a phone call.

Chris

Lynn1130

I use wingnuts on the dish to mount connection, as the dish is easily removed. Also have the arm with the lever to attach and remove the LNB easily. I use a fold up DTV roof tripod with adapter on mast for the large mount. Alignment is quite easy with the scales built into the slime line mount. Assure the mast is vertical, set the TV to the meters(101 and then 103). Put my cell phone up in front of the TV(selfie stick with tripod) with IP Webcam app running. Take my tablet and telenet to the smart phone (Smart phone and tablet both on MiFi network) app and see the meters out side on the tablet while swinging the arch of the dish to find sats. Then fine tune and I am done.

Thanks but after a few years of carrying a dish around and spending the time setting, aiming, securing, and locating I have found that to be a PIA and it is much easier to take the Tailgator outside, set it on the ground and turn the system on. 5 minutes later, while I am off setting other things up, the TV comes on and we move forward. On top of that the Tailgator takes up about a foot square of space where the dish was about four times that, or more. Pretty much KISS.

wdk450

I just saw a post on the Fulltimers section of the RV Village website with information about state satellite network charges that might be of interest of all. I never encountered these abusive state charges because I always had my Dish service address in California.

[FONT=&quot]"Here's a new wrinkle to wintering in Florida...DISH tacks on an additional $13.25 a month, because of Florida taxes on TV communication service! We have DISH Mobile and it works really well for us, since we domiciled in South Dakota. Only other state to tax was Texas. "[/FONT]

Wanderlust

So we decided to go with Dish Network and want to install our Roof mounted ourselves.. how difficult is this on a 17 Newport? We noticed there is no prep for it on the roof. Does anyone have any recommendations? Trying to save money on the install fees.

Wanderlust

Disregard my last post. We have done some research and have found some great information on this. My question is, do we have any updated schematics on the landmarks on where the backer board /support plate would be located? The 2014 schematic for the Newport that is on one post shows the old style antenna that is more to the outside of the roof where the new king antenna is in the middle by the shower skylight so I am not sure if they have repositioned the support plate based off of this or not.