Disappointed with TST

danemayer

so all that is needed to change out the batteries, is the O rings and batteries right?

You'll need the sensor removal tool to unscrew the case and a tiny screwdriver. Pay attention to the orientation of the battery. Use the screwdriver to push the battery out from the back side, through the open side.

The o-ring looks way too small to get into place, but it stretches quite a bit.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
You'll need the sensor removal tool to unscrew the case and a tiny screwdriver. Pay attention to the orientation of the battery. Use the screwdriver to push the battery out from the back side, through the open side.

I've found that a paperclip with one section bent out straight makes a helpful tool when trying to get the O-ring in place. You also need good eyesight and lots of patience!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Where do you get the sensor removal tool? These are supposed to be owner serviceable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoveredWagon

Having tire pressure/temp sensors is like and is buying insurance. If I didn't buy all the insurance I don't use I could cash buy a new rig every year. :rolleyes:

danemayer

Where do you get the sensor removal tool? These are supposed to be owner serviceable.

It's the tool used to take the sensor off the valve stem and it comes with the system. Just saying you need to get it from wherever you have it stored before you sit down to change the o-rings.

When you remove the sensors from the valve stem, examine the gasket that's inside the threaded area of the sensor. It usually stays with the sensor, but I've had them stay on the valve stem.

TST saved my Bacon in December heading to Alabama for the Winter.
Heading through Tennessee I noticed a slowly dropping pressure on the trailing axle right side tire.
When I got into Pelham, Alabama, South of Birmingham I stopped at an RV park where I've stayed in the past and ask to use a pull through site so I could run my 120 volt air compressor.
I was granted permission, and brought my tire pressure back up.
I was down to 100# at that time, luckily it was a slow leak.
I could find nothing in the tire.
Spent the night in Greenville, Alabama, refreshed the tire in the morning before we got back on the road, and checked again for a nail or something, found nothing.
When we arrived at our Winter RV Park, pulled the wheel and took it to local tire dealer.
I had a cracked rim.
Called Heartland, she emailed me a picture of the rim, which I confirmed.
Heartland had to order it from Tredit Tire.
It was sent to me and tire mounted on new rim.
I would have never known about the low tire pressure with out the monitor system.
I was able to monitor the situation and safely arrive at our destination.
Without the TST monitor, the results would not have been good.
The results of this tire issue I realized I needed a 12 volt air compressor.
I checked on the forum and found what Cookie, & Jon and a few others were using and purchased a Viair 12 volt compressor.
So from my experience, get a tire monitor system & a 12 volt air compressor.
Happy ending.

Hockster

danemayer

To be clear, TST makes a very good product and over the past 6 years has provided excellent customer service when I've had a problem.

They've explained the reason for changing their policy on o-rings and gaskets, and I see why they made the change, even though it's unattractive from my perspective.

I've suggested to them that they should revisit the packaging choice and maybe offer a larger quantity in the kit. The parts cost is obviously the smallest cost component and I wouldn't mind paying to get a quantity of 25, which would be a 4 year supply. I've also suggested they post information so we can buy the correct parts in larger quantities at a lower price from a small parts supplier.

They've agreed to look into making some changes.

As for whether it does any good - pressure and temp sensors aren't going to protect against every problem, but do protect against many. I've had a slow leak that triggered an alarm. Also saw the pressure change when tread unzipped but the tire didn't blow out. And it picked up a high temperature condition when there was a brake problem. I won't go without them.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
It's the tool used to take the sensor off the valve stem and it comes with the system. Just saying you need to get it from wherever you have it stored before you sit down to change the o-rings.

When you remove the sensors from the valve stem, examine the gasket that's inside the threaded area of the sensor. It usually stays with the sensor, but I've had them stay on the valve stem.

I kept a 510 removal tool (had two of them) in the truck, since it's always with me. I'll do the same with the 507 accessories. Thanks for the info, the new set should be arriving soon.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
John, the removal tool will work with either system. Now you will have 3.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
To be clear .........
They've explained the reason for changing their policy on o-rings and gaskets, and I see why they made the change, even though it's unattractive from my perspective.

You didn't say what their explanation was.

- - - Updated - - -

John, the removal tool will work with either system. Now you will have 3.

Or - once you have the theft cap off, leave it off, then no tool is needed.

Lou_and_Bette

Dan, I just bought 100 O-rings for $4.96, free shipping.

Peace
Dave

Dave, how long did the shipping take to get to you? Site seems to indicate 3-6 weeks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Dave. I trust your expertise on this and have risked the $4.96.

Dan, if you or Dave are willing, I would love to purchase 20 of them for $3 or whatever the market will bear. Would order my own but unsure if they would get to me in time.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Lou, I got them in about a week. Guess I didn't get the slow boat from China. I didn't expect that.
I'll give you some.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

You didn't say what their explanation was.

They used to give out a bunch when you contacted them - enough for 3 or 4 years depending on your configuration. But they found that many people couldn't remember where they put them, so the following year they'd call back and get another bunch. With success came thousands of customers, and shipping thousands of bags of little parts was becoming an expensive and time consuming drain. So they structured a kit that is basically for annual use. Then because they were selling it, they felt the delivery needed to be tracked, so that put them into Priority Mail at $6.95 shipping cost.

It's all very reasonable from the business standpoint. But it's a bit ugly for the customer. My disappointment is not that they are charging, but rather that they didn't think hard enough about the customer viewpoint when they structured the kits. I'm hoping my suggestions to them may produce a middle ground solution. We'll see.

Lou_and_Bette

Lou, I got them in about a week. Guess I didn't get the slow boat from China. I didn't expect that.
I'll give you some.

Peace
Dave

Thanks Dave, I have ordered some. We are leaving our current location for Goshen on 2 June, so if they arrive before then I will be good to change my batteries on all 12 of my sensors before we start our yearly sojourn. Nice to know I have a backup plan 😁

esscobra

probably could get several kits shipped at same time to last another 5-6 years for same 6.95 shipping -

porthole

Retired
No reason if we have to start paying that they can't be put in an envelope with a 1st class stamp and mailed like they have been doing for 6 years.

danemayer

No reason if we have to start paying that they can't be put in an envelope with a 1st class stamp and mailed like they have been doing for 6 years.

That's what I would do. But they feel like things paid for have to be tracked. It seems to me that replacing an occasional lost envelope would be more effective for all parties.