discolored water, sanitizing lines

pnnf

Hello again, after an earlier post Ive got the water running to all fixtures except the kitchen which is ok for now. I now have brownish colored water. It is not noticeable when running the sink faucet. I noticed it first in the shower and thought that maybe it was just how the shadows were hitting the shower floor and dismissed it as such later i noticed that the toilet bowl water was the same brownish color. I dont notice any smell but when i brushed my teeth i did notice a bit of a bad taste. I had just woken up and did not think of the colored water or i would have used the bottled water...smh. Anyway i was wondering if it may be from the water heater or if i need to run bleach through the lines. im going to try and just let the water run to flush out the lines first. If anyone has any info that would be great and also help on how to disinfect the water ;lines in my rig. Im going to look at youtube and see if i can find anything but wanted to post here first.

thank you all~

danemayer

Bypass the water heater and see if the water clears up. If it does, then the water heater needs to be drained and cleaned.

You can find instructions in our owner-written Water Heater Usage Guide.

For general sanitation of the water lines, mix 1/4 cup of bleach to a gallon of water and use the antifreeze suction line to pump it through all the water lines and fixtures. You'll probably need a few gallons. And if you're filling the water heater with it, you may need 10 gallons just for that. Run some of the mixture through each faucet, shower, toilet and outside shower. Let it sit for 3 hours and then run city water through the system. If you're left with excessive chlorine taste, you can get rid of that with a mixture of q quart of vinegar to 5 gallons of water.

While at it, you should sanitize your fresh water tank. Our Water Systems Guide has instructions on page 22.

pnnf

Thank you all for the replies. I do not have a water filter yet. I was living in my old 5r on the same lot that i am currently on. I just brought the Landmark back and hooked her up. I never had a problem before and just assumed it was my current rig. I will check the water source first just to make sure ( i guess ill just fill up a clear jug to see if its discolored). I have to go do laundry before the storms hit today and that will give me time to find my fresh tank capacity and then figure out how much bleach i need as well as reading the links provided here. Im thinking just to be safe ill fill the fresh water tank with the water and bleach to sanitize the lines and also do the heater while im at it. dont know if ill get it done today with all the storms ( right now im hoping they are wrong about tornadoes and hail with my new rig..smh) I will be back to let you all know how it goes.

Thank you very much for the help and advise~

TedS

That should be 1/4 cup bleach to 15 gallons of water. Or one tablespoon bleach to one gallon water.

danemayer

That should be 1/4 cup bleach to 15 gallons of water. Or one tablespoon bleach to one gallon water.

For clarity, here's the text from the Heartland Trailer Manual:
Prepare a chlorine solution using one (1) gallon of water and one-quarter (1/4) cup of household bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite solution). With tank empty, pour one (1) gallon of solution into the tank for each fifteen (15) gallons of tank capacity.

pnnf

ok and thank you for catching the typo. ill be doing this job after my work schedule. ill let everyone know how it went by the weekend.

thank you all so very much!~