Dish Network - Weird Symptoms, Weird Fix

wdk450

Gang:
I thought I would share today's Dish Network problem that had me stumped for a while. The symptoms were picture dropouts, pixeliztion, even loss of some SD channels which then revered to HD channels. Usually when the 129 satellite is partially obstructed I will have a loss of HD channels with the system reverting to the same network SD channel. Signal levels on the dish aiming screen were low and jumping some, occasionally cutting out. These all seemed to me to be symptoms of either poor signal reception on my end, or problems within the Dish satellites. I rechecked the peaking on my dish antenna, and did a slight bit of re-aiming, which had no effect on the problem. I did a standard re-boot, and still had the same symptoms. Finally, I turned off the breaker for the desk slide where the receiver is, removed the smartcard from the receiver for 10 seconds, re-inserted the smartcard into the receiver, turned the breaker back on, and re-booted the Dish receiver. This time the satellite signal strengths were up by a third, and after doing signal acquisition and program guide downloads, everything on the satellite system was working perfectly again.
I can't figure out what the smartcard has to do with satellite signal strength, and signal steadyness, but this is what fixed my problems. Now I can watch the A's game!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Usually, when I have DISH reception problems, it's due to either a storm or a fly landing on the little branch at the edge of the opening in the tree canopy I use to acquire the satellite.

pegmikef

Every once in a while when I turn on the receiver (from standby) I will get an error message telling me to insert the smart card. In every case the smart card has always been inserted. I tried resetting the receiver once and got the same error so I simply pulled the card out and reinserted it. Everything then worked fine. I don't know if it vibrates slightly off its contact point or what. An irritant, but a simple fix.