Dish or dtv.

bishgeo

Looking to get a full size sat for on top of camper. Have dtv at home but heard the dish sats are easier to find while traveling. Who has what and pro and cons of each please. Thanks.

Donhutch1800

Looking to get a full size sat for on top of camper. Have dtv at home but heard the dish sats are easier to find while traveling. Who has what and pro and cons of each please. Thanks.
We have the wineguard rooftop sat with direct tv.works perfect.

Pizzaguy

I have had both Dish and Directv. Directv is easier to set up. We have had both for our home at the same time. We have had Dishnetwork for the last three years because of Directv's constant price increases. You never knew what your bill would be when you opened it up. My Parents just switched for the same reason. Dish has a price guarantee that the price will not go up for 2 years. It was three years when we switched. There is also some pay as you go plans out there also, but since we live in the country, satellite is the only option and we have extra receivers for our camper.

RickL

I have Directv and setup my dish on a tripod each and every time. (Too cheap to spend the money on the winegard as I’m somewhat convinced that as things progress that dish ($2000.00) will become a boat anchor a few years down the road. Even Directv sees the handwriting as they will try in a sticks and bricks try to convince you to go Directv Now which is a internet service.

I’m hopefully internet will become less expensive and I’ll start to stream more. However right now it’s too expensive without being in a park that has decent speed and reception.

Ill agree on the price, as since ATT has bought them and started to integrate DTV they are all screwed up. My bill went from $50 per month to $63, now I have a credit of over $200 (changed nothing) which hasn’t moved down for the last two months. The other thing I did was move all my equipment from my sticks and bricks to our trailer(we full time). Some of the support people have said “that won’t work” while others have said it works well. I have had it working well for the last 11 months with no issues. Plus I get the 280+ channel package and no premium channels like HBO (although they are so screwed up I’m getting HBO and the last time I switched locations so I could get the local channels I told the person I was getting HBO and didn’t want it. They said your not paying for it so accept as a freebie.)

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We are very satisfied with Dish network and have been using their service for almost 10 years f full timing. About a year ago we went with the Winegard Traveler and love it! It is super easy to receive a signal and very easy to call Dish Network for the local channels where we are. I like that for weather reports for our location.

porthole

Retired

If you are putting an automatic antenna on the roof how could one be easier then the other?

If you already have DTV at home, take the receiver when you leave with the RV.

I use extra 'parts' in the trailer so all I have to move back and forth is the actual receiver. Trailer has permanent power cord, power inserter, remotes etc.
I leave our house's third bedroom Genie client in the trailer during the RV season and only recently started moving the house's kitchen Genie client in and out as we now have an outside TV in the trailer.

Been doing this for 5 years now.

Piperflyer

I have been using the Dish Network for the past (4) years. We have the Winnegard Satellite System installed on the RV roof and it start and stops with the push of a button. With the Dish App on your smartphone you can pay your bill, select local channels for the area you are in and see the program channels for the area. So far, so good with our system. You also get some good credits when referring a new Dish member.

B

BouseBill

Go with Dish you won't regret it. AT&T will in the end screw you over somehow. RANT ON! We had Direct TV for years and for years the price went up every year, when I finally put my foot down our bill was $150 a month. We also had At&T for our cell phone...until such time as AT&T sold out the cell tower in our little town of Bouse AZ. T-Mobile bought them out. AT&T refused to honor our contract which was for unlimited data so when we went to the AT&T store in Lake Havasu City to see what could be done, the store personnel called the main AT&T office which handled customer concerns. We were told by the Customer Service person on the phone we could void the contract because AT&T were the ones who changed the terms of service. 6 months later AT&T sent a bill for over $600 saying the Customer Service agent did not have the authority to cancel our contract so we had to pay the early termination fee:mad: or it would go to collections. As the old saying goes "you can't fight city hall" so we paid it to get AT&T out of our life permanently.

I for one will NEVER go back to AT&T for anything, OK rant off!

Lynn1130

Again, these "which one" questions get to be "I like this one" and it then becomes a personal preference thread. I have both. Directv at home and Dish when camping. I ended up with Dish in the trailer because Direct has no HD for RVs, unless you want to try setting up a tripod or have a roof mount. None of the portable receivers for Direct give you HD. Having a roof mounted receiver means that I have a limited choice of parking spots in an RV park or in the forest. A forest has lots of trees as do some RV parks (in Arizona you want trees for shade all year around) that makes roof mounted antennas worthless.
Having a tripod, from my past experience is a major PIA. Some will jump in and tell us how easy set up is for them. Sorry but it is a PIA. And if the wind blows, like Kansas or northern Arizona where I hunt in the spring, forget keeping it on target. So, I have a Tailgator that I set out, hook the coax to and start the TV. I am watching TV in a few minutes and can park pretty much where I please without signal interference.

And the final note. I have had Directv for about 10 years now. They do raise prices, and it is annoying but each year I call them, tell them I don't like their price increase and will move to Dish if it keeps up and they knock $50-60 off of my monthly bill. Right now my bill has a $60 reduction on it for the next year because I bothered to call them about it. A lot of companies will do that if asked.

LBR

We use the simple Tailgater with Dish Network. As mentioned earlier, the Tailgater can always be placed to work around trees/obstacles that may block the view of a fixed rooftop unit, and sets up in a few minutes.

Our friends have great tiers of Dish programming that suited us, so they added our receiver to their plan....$7.95/month is what it costs them, so we PayPal them $100 every year.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
We have Directv with a Winegard antenna on our Landmark and have no issues with it at all.

Rod

porthole

Retired
tell them I don't like their price increase and will move to Dish if it keeps up and they knock $50-60 off of my monthly bill. Right now my bill has a $60 reduction on it for the next year because I bothered to call them about it. A lot of companies will do that if asked.

I just did that. $50 off for a year and $5 off showtime for 6 months (the only extra channel we get)

Still I wish they would allow the transfer of recorded programs from old equipment to new.

B

BouseBill

A little more information, we started with Direct TV in 1999 and were with them for almost 20 years, non stop. Did they give us money off,,,yes,,for a few years. Then that stopped altogether. We are now saving right at $600 a year by going to Dish.

carl.swoyer

I have direct TV and simply take a box from my house.
I've been with direct TV for ten years never a problem unless there's something in the way.
I too am looking at putting it on the roof. I have two in motion satilite. I will put one on the roof with a on off switch and the other I will have as a carry out.
No need for the expensive RV package. Just take it from your house.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

pegmikef

I have used Dish for six plus years and have no issues with the cost or the service (since they now have a good phone ap).

Oldelevatorman

We’ve had Dish Network forever over multiple RV’s. We currently have the Pathway X2 and a Tailgater so we can watch different satellites at the same time, ie networks and ESPN since I record a lot of sports etc on the DVR. We may have the Traveler installed when we go to AZ in January and keep the others for when we’re in the trees! My only complaint is the Pathway loses its signal overnight and has to be rescanned almost every morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk