dismayed by the sheer height of Big Horn, Big Country.

We are looking to replace an older 'crawl into bed' fifth wheel, and like the Heartland line for many reasons, not the least of which is their use of block foam insulation (I've taken it into my head that residential fiberglass batts are not suitable for residences that bounce up and down the road, especially the roads in the Detroit area). However, I am dismayed by the sheer height of the Big Horn and Big Country and really disappointed that they've brought out several floor plans that are over 13' high. I know without even trying it that I would find it annoying to climb up four steps and stretch way up for a door handle every time I wanted to get a pen or refill a coffee cup, and climb another four steps to reach up into any of the kitchen cabinets (Cedar Creek has a nice floor plan or two with a delightful Hoosier cabinet, but there's that 'fiberglass batt' problem). My issues with the 'mid-profile' fifth wheels are the generally down-market fixtures and lower insulation levels (we get out in some chilly weather). It would take a bit of engineering to get heights down but it's entirely possible; unfortunately few manufacturers seem to think it would be a valuable exercise and that is what has kept us out of the current market. I'm almost tempted to venture into an Airstream (no slideouts, no storage, batt insulation, crazy prices) or a Forest River Aviator (nicely rounded corners, not too high, but gets a little bit long once you consider the difference between the fifth wheel and travel trailer layouts). Are there other options? Sunnybrook Raven is a possibility (11' 11") but I don't know what kind of insulation they use (their web site is a little short on any specific information) and, to quote Faye Dunaway in 'Bonnie and Clyde', 'These accommodations are not particularly deluxe.'

danemayer

Hi dlrobertson33,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. This is a great place to get questions answered and to join in the discussion about Heartland products.

You might want to actually look at a few of the Heartland models before drawing conclusions. For example, while you're concerned about 4 steps vs. 3 steps, there's another thread today where people are discussing how much easier it is now that they've replaced their 3 step entry with a 4 step assembly. Also, some of the exterior height changes don't necessarily affect interior dimensions. Improvements to the air conditioning design account for some of those changes.

You might also want to revisit the mid-profile products. I think you may find that some of the upscale features found only in full-profile products just a few years ago are now their way into the mid-profiles.

Theresau

I'm assuming having the full profile front AC brings the height of the BC, etc. up to over 13'.

The only other steps we have to go up is to the bath and bedroom. Kitchen and LR are level to the door. There is one floorplan as I recall with a rear kitchen that has steps leading to it.

We are very happy with our floorplan which has the moveable island. There are a lot of things you need to consider when purchasing the new 5th wheel - construction is a very good start and HL has good construction (that was our starting point as well).

We started the thread regarding converting to 4 steps. HL coaches with a 12" frame have 4 steps; those with a 10" frame have 3 steps. Ours has a 10" frame.

We spent quite a bit of time looking at different models of the coaches before we made our final decision. There are shows coming up that may help you with this. Sounds like you are near the Detroit area. There is a good-sized show in Novi in the fall.

Theresa

priorguy

dlrobertson33 take a look at the Sundance and Sundance XLT. They have the same Aluminum and foam insulation construction, but are mid-profile so under or just over 12' high. They used to make North Trail 5ers too, but they have been discontinued or replaced. I own a North Trail bumper pull and in cooler weather the furnace barely runs. Last month it was single digits (Celsius) at night. I like the foam insulation and heated/enclosed under belly for that reason.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm assuming having the full profile front AC brings the height of the BC, etc. up to over 13'.

The only other steps we have to go up is to the bath and bedroom. Kitchen and LR are level to the door. There is one floorplan as I recall with a rear kitchen that has steps leading to it.

We are very happy with our floorplan which has the moveable island. There are a lot of things you need to consider when purchasing the new 5th wheel - construction is a very good start and HL has good construction (that was our starting point as well).

We started the thread regarding converting to 4 steps. HL coaches with a 12" frame have 4 steps; those with a 10" frame have 3 steps. Ours has a 10" frame.

We spent quite a bit of time looking at different models of the coaches before we made our final decision. There are shows coming up that may help you with this. Sounds like you are near the Detroit area. There is a good-sized show in Novi in the fall.

Theresa

I am 13'1" at the front ac which is my highest point. I am 5'11" and don't have any problems reaching my door handle from the ground nor reaching any of the high cabinets from the floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The Elkridge line is a nice full-profile coach to consider, but doesn't feel overly tall, inside or out. Ours is just at 13', because of the front AC. We have 3 steps to get into the coach, and 2 steps to get to the bedroom level. We have a 2010, and we have added a few things to make ours even more comfortable in colder climates -- like a fireplace (was an add-on option our coach didn't come with), tank heaters, and a table-top heater in bedroom. And we take ours skiing! They now have a pearl exterior and painted front cap, and their interior look rivals some of the higher-end Heartlands.

Erika

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm 5'8" and the wife is 5'2". The height of our 3670 hasn't been a problem in the 5 years we've been enjoying it. I would not want a "lower" rig.

sengli

DW and I too looked for a year, and the type of construction drew us to the big horns. We even ended up with a 3260 floorplan which is a toy hauler type roof line profile, so its easily 13' 3" all the way, not just in front. I remember when we first saw the new coach it was so huge! I was a little scared of the size. We have had it year. So far so good, you just have to watch for low hanging trees in campgrounds. We love to camp when its cooler, and the electric fireplace is great to have.