Disney World Campground Question

DWH

DW and I plan to take our 3 granddaughters to Disney world in October of this year. WE will be arriving late, around 9:00 PM. Campground folks said no problem. However, I have these questions for folks who have stayed there. We have a Landmark San Antonio, About 42' long.
1. How big are the preferred sites? Would we fit better on a premium site?
2. How about backing in after hours? Had experience at one campground; arrived late, narrow roads,
vehicles parked on both sides of road and in some cases partly on the already narrow roads.
Impossible to back in. Had to have about 8 people move their vehicle and it was still a hard spot
to get in. Must add, as usual everyone was very cooperative and helpful. I'm hoping Disney is
a better layout.
3. What are the best sites? I was told that 2 or 3 weeks before our arrival I might be able to reserve a site.

4. Any tips or suggestions?

Thank you to any with any information to help.

Doug Hoeffner
2012 San Antonio
2011 Chevy 3500 D&A

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
DWH,

We just spent a week at Ft. Wilderness last October. While we did not come in late at night, it was still necessary to have our "neighbors" across from us move thier truck (it was in their site not on the road) to give me the extra room I needed to get our Landmark Pinehurst into the spot. I think I could have done it without having his truck moved, but it sure was easier. He offered and I took him up on it. The park has a rule about not parking on the road, but, as usual, some folks push that to the limit.

As far as where to stay, we had a preferred site, not a preimum and I really didn't see the difference. Best place in the park? That's really a personal choice. I would highly recommed going on line and look at the campground layout (it's huge) to get an idea of which loop you would prefer. We had a 5 day park hopper pass so we wanted to be down close to the boat dock so we could head straight over to the monorail or to Magic Kingdom. We had a site in the 700 loop and it was a short walk to the dock. They have buses that do the same thing, we just preferred the boat. Be sure to plan on taking the time to walk the loops looking at all the Holloween decorations. These folks really dress up their campers and their sites in the Holloween tradition. Some folks go back every year just to do that. There are some really awsome displays.

Rob_Fla

Since the campground at Disney's Fort Wilderness was built in the early 70s and most RVs were not as large as they are today, getting a large 5th Wheel in many of the sites can be a challange,

We just spent 5 weeks at Fort Wilderness in Jan/Feb and it took us a few tries to get on our site.
Many afternoons I would walk our dog and see people with large 5th Wheels arriving, some had no problem getting on their site, some had to get vehicles moved and took several tries to get on their sites.

hoefler

My wife and I almost had a divorce getting into our first site ( very tight ), in the daytime. We have a 40' Mt. Rushmore, and we are 57' hooked ready to roll. Started getting set up, one leg down in the 50 amp. Long story short, we had to move to another site, in the dark, not fun.

FordMan1966

We go to Fort Wilderness every October for 8 nights. We tend to like the 400 and 700 Loop. They are both in the Pet Loops as well as the Premium Spots and are a little bit larger. This is a great campground and it is well maintained.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
I have camped at WDW Fort Wilderness many times - but I have not gone yet with my Cyclone - I would recommend going with the Premium sites as they are wider and longer than the preferred sites. I never had an issue getting into a preferred site , but then again I was 12 ft shorter.. As far as cars and trucks on the side of the road, this should not be an issue, Disney is fairly vigilant about making sure that all roads are clear. Another plus for the Prem sites areas the Roads are newer and tend to be wider than the older sections of the park. For reservations - I would not wait - the best sites will not be available two weeks before your stay. Talk to Camp ground about your concerns and they will help you get into a site that will work for your rig.

Kevin