Dissatisfied with Heartland! (color of awning fabric)

DandJochs

We recently purchased a Sundance 3270RES, the coach trim is brown but the awning is blue. Camping world told us this was an obvious factory mistake and should be covered under warranty. However after submitting pictures we were told Heartland would not replace the fabric. I spoke with Jim Feder at HL customer service, he told me the unit was designed that way, and because it was only a cosmetic issue, they would not do anything. Darn right it's cosmetic! When you buy a 50k 5th wheel, you want it to look right! My wife has also sent 2 e-mails to Chris Hermon regarding this issue and we have not received a reply, not even an I'll look into into it! Lets just say I don't think we will be recommending Heartland to any of our friends looking for a new RV!

Dennis Ochs

DandJochs

Re: Dissatisfied with Heartland!

I would also like to note that I read in the Sundance forum that at least one other owner had the same issue and Heartland replaced the awning fabric for them!

danemayer

I would also like to note that I read in the Sundance forum that at least one other owner had the same issue and Heartland replaced the awning fabric for them!

Dennis and Jackie,

I'd suggest you call back and ask to speak with the Sundance brand manager.

DandJochs

Just not sure what good that would at this point when we can't get a response from the GM of Heartland.

jimtoo

Just not sure what good that would at this point when we can't get a response from the GM of Heartland.

You will be much better starting at the bottom of ladder and working your way up instead of trying to start at the top and hope it tumbles down to the right person. And also honey will attract a lot more workers that can cure a problem than vinegar.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired

First of all, Heartland's customer service is second to none.

I'm curious, did you special order your unit, or buy it off the lot?
Either way, you paid your money to the dealer, not HL.
If it's not a defect, per se, then it would not be a warranty issue.
I believe your complaint should be lodged with the seller, not the manufacturer.
Your negotiation was with them.

If it's an "obvious mistake", as the dealer stated, why was it not caught by them?
I would think it also should have been noticed by either yourself or the dealer during the PDI.

For the dealer to send you running to HL because an accessory color does not seem correct, is not right. IMHO.
If it is in fact a mistake, the dealer should resolve it with HL at their level, as they are the seller of the product.

If HL were to resolve the issue, it would be strictly a goodwill gesture. I for one, do not believe they have an obligation to do so.

As Jim and Dan stated, a friendly call to the brand manager is a good place to start

I hope you get the issue resolved to your satisfaction either way, so you can enjoy you new rig. Trace

Last edited:

DandJochs

First of all, I gave the short version of the story on here. 2nd, it was during our PDI we noticed it. 3rd we did start at the bottom, and worked up through customer service, until we got to Jim Feder, during my conversation with him I asked him 3 times who was above him, he kept telling me he had the final say in the matter! Last years trim on the Sundance was blue, this years it's brown, so was the unit designed to have a blue awning or was the factory using excess inventory? That said, I doubt any of you would be happy in our situation! We love everything else about the unit!

RuralPastor

Dennis, I can understand your frustration with mismatched colors. It should be changed. You say, "Camping world told us this was an obvious factory mistake and should be covered under warranty." This is where I would start. You pointed out an error to the seller, and they misrepresented the factory. Camping World needs to change your awning. You bought it from them, and they made the promise, not Heartland. Keep pursuing this.

DandJochs

We have been working with Camping World on this and they were working with Heartland. Heartland had us send pictures of the awning and the awning data plate but then denied the replacement fabric. It was after that the service manager told us we may have better luck contacting Heartland directly. I don't see where Camping World should be responsible as they were not the ones that "designed" it that way! Personally, I think whoever it was that designed a blue awning on a brown trailer, needs to be fired or find another line of work!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I too can understand your frustration. I know I would be pretty disappointed. I also feel that since it was noticed at the PDI, that is where the negotiation should have started with Camping World. They sell awnings! No reason for them no to replace it before you accepted the coach. Now that they have their money it will be more difficult to have them negotiate on your behalf. I would try the Brand Manager again at Heartland. We all hope things work out in your favor.

RoadJunkie

Dennis, as you know, the best opportunity for leverage to correct a problem is prior to actually taking delivery. That is, handing over the check. You obviously recognized the distasteful (to you) color, but still took delivery? It is typically not successful to rely on the "good intentions" or statements from a dealer regarding what "should" be covered by warranty. I imagine we've all been down a road like that in our life time. You mentioned you like all other aspects of the coach and that is what you should tell your friends. Try not to let this ruin your, otherwise enjoyable, experience with your Sundance. I know it's easier said than done when I'm not the one with a distasteful situation, but I believe you have to take a share in the problem by taking delivery of something you didn't like. Good luck resolving your issue.

Jochs

No response from Heartland

My husband and I have an issue with our new Rv. We tried talking to customer service about it with no resolve. Also sent emails and no one replied back. Very dissatisfied with Heartland and lack of good customer service.

jimtoo

Re: No response from Heartland

Hi Jochs,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Please let us know what "issue" you have with your unit. Also, did you contact your dealer to take care of your "issue"? You should be contacting your dealer first. The dealer is the one to repair or help you get your "issue" resolved. Heartland folks are great and will do a lot to take care of the customer, but first I would try to go through your dealer, if your dealer cannot make you happy, then try calling customer service.

Jim M

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator

As Jimtoo said, your dealer should be your first line of contact. You say you contacted Heartland customer service but received no help? What is the nature of the problem? Maybe one of our forum members can get you some help. Many things can be taken care of in a DIY fashion. Sometimes much easier than taking the trailer to your dealer. Let us try.

kowAlski631

Perhaps if you shared your issue here, someone could give advice. We all like to help each other. Be as specific as you can.

Martha

danemayer

Jochs,

I am merging this into the thread from DandJochs since it appears to be the same discussion.

iaflatlander

I hope this can be resolved to the customer's satisfaction. Many of us are not as savy at negotiating as others. A blue awning on a brown trailer isn't right, shouldn't have left the factory that way, and shouldn't end up the responsibility of the buyer. Heartland too will get a lot more buyers with honey rather than with vinegar.

jjriker

I hope this can be resolved to the customer's satisfaction. Many of us are not as savy at negotiating as others. A blue awning on a brown trailer isn't right, shouldn't have left the factory that way, and shouldn't end up the responsibility of the buyer. Heartland too will get a lot more buyers with honey rather than with vinegar.

X2

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2