DIY Slide Toppers

BigGuy82

I'm adding slide toppers to my Bighorn and will be doing it myself. I'd be interested in hearing from those of you who have installed these on your own. Installation tips, difficulties, structural considerations, etc.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My opinion
I am sick and tired of dealing with the Carefree toppers !!!!
I wish I would have went with the Dometic toppers instead.
And one better I wish my Landmark would have came with them from the factory instead of letting my dealer screw them up.
Live and learn.
Carefree toppers are a PITA

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

BigGuy82

My opinion
I am sick and tired of dealing with the Carefree toppers !!!!
I wish I would have went with the Dometic toppers instead.
And one better I wish my Landmark would have came with them from the factory instead of letting my dealer screw them up.
Live and learn.
Carefree toppers are a PITA

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks. Yeah, I already made the decision to do the Dometics. As far as my dealer screwing them up, that's not gonna happen! I'm going to do that all by myself - at least I won't have to look to far to find someone to blame it on!

Resiemon

Good luck. Please include photos. We plan on the same adventure soon.

R E Siemon 2015 BH 3875 F B with and 2015 F250 Diesel, 4WD, Firestone air bags

jbeletti

Dick - it's a 2-person, 2-ladder job to install the toppers after you add the brackets. Make sure on any super long toppers that you install a cradle to prevent sag. I have 1 cradle on my coach on my kitchen slide topper.

BigGuy82

Dick - it's a 2-person, 2-ladder job to install the toppers after you add the brackets. Make sure on any super long toppers that you install a cradle to prevent sag. I have 1 cradle on my coach on my kitchen slide topper.

Jim, thanks for the advice. My longest topper would be 14.5' and Dometic says that the cradle is required on 16.5' or longer but may be required on shorter lengths if they start to sag. That tells me that I'll save the post install aggravation and just put the cradle on when I install the topper.

brianlajoie

Our Carefree slide toppers are a PITA! My 14 foot one keeps tearing the aluminum brackets and has sheared the screw holding it together. In vegas, I came up with using a garage u shaped holder that I bent the end on and use mini bungees to take the bounce out. I hook the bungees (I use 2 of them) on the rain gutter. Seems to help, but now after 2 summers, the fabric on another one of them is shot. I love the idea, but hate the product. I plan to replace them, but not sure with which product to use yet.

jbeletti

Jim, thanks for the advice. My longest topper would be 14.5' and Dometic says that the cradle is required on 16.5' or longer but may be required on shorter lengths if they start to sag. That tells me that I'll save the post install aggravation and just put the cradle on when I install the topper.
Good call.