Do I need a slider hitch for my '15 RAM 3500 DRW MegaCab Short Bed?

Skipm

Hello

I have a 2015 Ram 3500 dual rear wheels mega cab short bed and a 2016 Elckridge 39 MBHS. My question is do I need a slider hitch or not.

Thanks for your response.
Skip

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

Re: What type of hitch

Hi Skipm,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's lots of useful information here along with a great bunch of friendly and helpful people.

The factory doesn't typically give advice on things like hitches, but I'm sure other owners will jump in with their thoughts.

RoadJunkie

Allow me to summarize: Some users will say a slider is necessary, others will say it is not. Some will say they have never used their slider but they like having it just in case they do need it. Others will say they don't have a slider and have never felt they have needed one. Sooooo...the bottom line is, that having a slider, or not having one, is a personal choice.

Skipm

Thanks for your input. I was wanting to find someone with this same setup to see if what they have for a hitch.

Tundra2084

We have had both slider reese hitches and now have a non slider Curt. We weren't sure about the new non slider, but to make ourselves feel better about it, we took the truck and trailer to a parking lot where hubby jack knifed them, while I watched to keep eyes on the distance between the cap and back window. At the tightest point there was no less than 7 to 8 inches clearance between the two.

I guess everyone wants a margin of safety and now we know we have it whereas you may not. If in doubt get a slider or do as we did and measure the distance between. Either way do what ever makes You feel comfortable towing. It's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I have a 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD short box and have a Reese 16K slider hitch . . .

I'd rather have it than not need it . . . than need it and not have it!

Kinda' like having the right tool in the tool box when you need it.

I haven't used the slider option yet, but even with the 88-degree radius turn angles on the Prowler, it gets scaringly close to the back window of the truck in a tight turn and I already know that I probably will use it at a couple of the campsites we like to go to that are difficult back-ins.

As long as I have a short box . . . I'll have a slider.

ProwlerPigtail-P1000474.jpg NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg NewProwler-P1000050.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

The OP is looking for information on a RAM Mega Cab with a short bed.
I understand the concern as that short bed on a Mega Cab is really short.

Peace
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

Here are a couple of links that may help you make your decision. [LINK] [LINK]

Peace
Dave

B

Boatman

We also have a 3500 RAM Mega cab and tow a BH 3875FB. We also bought a Curt slider. However in 2 years of towing we have yet to use the slide feature. But its nice to have it if needed. Its entirely your choice. Good luck

jolar3329

I have a 2009 Big Horn 3670RL and tow it with a 2012 Ram mega cab short bed. I've never used my slider with the Big Horn.

Skipm

Yikes, I think I will go with a slide hitch and if I don't need that's fine but if I do then I will have it. Any suggestions on a good one that wont be thousands of dollars?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

Oregon_Camper

Yikes, I think I will go with a slide hitch and if I don't need that's fine but if I do then I will have it. Any suggestions on a good one that wont be thousands of dollars?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to everyone for your comments.

We installed the Reese Airborne Sidewinder. This moves the pivot point back about 2 feet and you never have to get our of your truck to engage anything. Plus you recover a LOT of space in the bed of your truck.

http://www.reeseprod.com/products/p...e-sidewinder/Jsbr87GrqXlvr!N4oIhle8Gafp5BGHE3

Bones

We installed the Reese Airborne Sidewinder. This moves the pivot point back about 2 feet and you never have to get our of your truck to engage anything. Plus you recover a LOT of space in the bed of your truck.

http://www.reeseprod.com/products/p...e-sidewinder/Jsbr87GrqXlvr!N4oIhle8Gafp5BGHE3

I agree with Oregon Camper. I had the Reese Airborne sidewinder with my shorted and loved it. I would highly recommend it. I still have it with my 8 foot bed now.

IronJ

I'm still trying to get someone to take the pullrite super glide I have that came out of a dodge!!..I have the rails and capture plate too..I mean...if texas is on your travel path...lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Gtoli

I have a Ram 3500 with a regular short bed (6'4"), and I intend to use a B&W Patriot slider just for peace of mind.

IronJ

What are you asking for it?
I'd take 1000 obo for hitch, dodge rails and universal capture plate...

It's the big boy hitch...24k rated. ...

Skipm

IronJ

When you say dodge rails , do they mount on the Ram pucks? Also could you send me some pictures?

Thanks
Skip

IronJ

I'll have to pull the exact model and see what the exact fitment is. The combo is a 2300 isr auto autoslider hitch, super rails, and dodge frame mounts. This uses pins to secure the hitch to the frame mounts and leaves a totally smooth bed when removed. I know the auto slider and capture plate will work with any dodge but if you have pucks it may require a difference frame mount ...previous vehicle it was on was a 2012 dodge mega cab dually....and yes..the xlr thunderbolt hit the cab hence the slider afterwards...lol. .the slider and capture plate were 1800$ new...frame rails were 500$...was used about 10 tows