Do you guys run your frig on electric or gas while driving?

Mattman

Cummings motor, GM frame and parts, Ford interior. Is that an option?
I don't tow in mountains. But it's always fridge plugged in at home and over to LP on the road.

Do these have a safety cut out for over heating?

mlpeloquin

GMC and propane, but plan to install two 6V batteries and an inverter next year. Propane is not a problem unless you have a blowout and open up the gas line. If the line gets fully severed, there is a automatic shutoff. If it does not, well your rig maybe toast. So that is the main safety risk. If you run with Towmax tires, well the risk is much higher.

brianlajoie

Cummings motor, GM frame and parts, Ford interior. Is that an option?
I don't tow in mountains. But it's always fridge plugged in at home and over to LP on the road.

Do these have a safety cut out for over heating?

Yes, the ARP controller will shut down the frig rather than let it over heat.

chiefneon

Howdy!

We're fulltimers use electric when we have excess to it to save one propane, and of course propane when traveling or boomdocking.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

ksucats

Dodge and then moved back to what I grew up on - Ford! Propane on my prior coach. There are places (like the Eisenhower Tunnel (I'm told)) that require you to not only turn off all propane but also close the propane tank valves.

As for the earlier post about the extension cord being too short - I've seen several units where the happy campers had a generator in their truck bed and had electrical line running to their 5th wheel. One even went so far as to have his AC running while moving down the road. (I've seen this individual at several Big 12 Football games over the past few years - always has a cool coach and cold brews at the ready :cool:

Jim.Allison

Dodge Ram......LOL, But I run on AC during the day and LP at night. My solar panels and 7 pin provide enough to accomplish the task. Soon I will run 24 hours per day with the addition of a 220 amp alternator on the TV.

One of the things I do that help that coach refer a lot is that I use an engel fridge freezer to chill and freeze the stuff we buy along the way BEFORE loading the coach fridge. That engel runs on very little power either AC or DC, and it will keep your ice-cream hard too.

Sarge

Dumb question time:

Can the fridge cool on electric while hooked up to the tow vehicle?

I've got the dual 420amp alternator setup on the RAM -

With twin 6V batteries in the 362RW....

Thanx, Sarge

danemayer

Dumb question time:

Can the fridge cool on electric while hooked up to the tow vehicle?

I've got the dual 420amp alternator setup on the RAM -

With twin 6V batteries in the 362RW....

Thanx, Sarge
Hi Sarge,

I assume you're talking about a conventional RV gas absorption refrigerator that runs either on 120V AC, or on propane.

When you're hooked up to the tow vehicle, you'll get some 12V DC through the umbilical, and you'll have your 6V batteries (in series no doubt) providing additional 12V DC power.

To run the refrigerator on electric, you'd need an inverter to change the 12V DC power to 120V AC power. You'd also need a transfer switch so you can change the 120V AC between shore power and inverter power.

Keep in mind that the heating element uses quite a bit of 120V power, so you would run down your batteries if you're not careful.

If you're actually asking about a residential refrigerator, you already have these things and just need to turn the inverter ON.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
This may seem a bit ignorant but if running on propane and pulling hills and/or extreme side to side how does the propane fired refer overheat if the unit shuts down as a result of so called "Out of balance?" Years of travel under our belt and many friends with far more miles than me and never heard of this type of issue, is it some kind of government theory like UFO's and you can keep your doctor?

Oh by the way Ford/Propane.:confused:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
This may seem a bit ignorant but if running on propane and pulling hills and/or extreme side to side how does the propane fired refer overheat if the unit shuts down as a result of so called "Out of balance?" Years of travel under our belt and many friends with far more miles than me and never heard of this type of issue, is it some kind of government theory like UFO's and you can keep your doctor?

Oh by the way Ford/Propane.:confused:

The problem is that they don't shut down when they are not level . . . which is why they can over heat.

Over time off-level RV refrigerators can loose their ability to cool.

danemayer

Never had a problem with hills. Even in the mountains, with a worst case 8 mile climb/descent, that's only about 15 minutes and doesn't appear to cause a problem.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Dan, remember that John has a Chevy so it probably takes him longer....LOL

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Check out this website:

www.arprv.com

I saw their seminar last year at the HOC Tucson Rodeo Rally with a demo using an RV refrigerator cooling unit.

Pretty interesting stuff (and I have some photos of the demonstration I'll dig out later).

Kind of explains why we could never keep ice creme cold in the fridge of our last trailer, a 2013 Heartland Trail Runner with the rear kitchen:

Camping11MileSmall-IMG_0420.jpg Campout2012Kitchen-PC270045.jpg

The fridge was on the back wall instead of a side wall, so when we parked it out along the curb in front of the house for a day or two when getting ready or coming back from a campout, I never worried about leveling it side-to-side (although I did always level it front to back).

I now know better about running the fridge when the trailer is not level.

Our Prowler has the fridge on the door side wall so the concern here in Colorado is driving up steep mountain grades:

ProwlerKitchen-P5160700.jpg ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

On the interstate highways I usually don't shut the gas off, but on those slow steep climbs I'll shut it off.

- - - Updated - - -

Dan, remember that John has a Chevy so it probably takes him longer....LOL

Pretty funny stuff! :D

However, that 6.0L gas engine with the 4.10 rear end will kick those fast & furious wanna'bees butts when the light turns green! :cool:

weekender01

Not sure why the multiple recent post concerning refrigerators while traveling, but we travel with the fridge on gas.

Per Norcold:

Operation during travel:

While the refrigerator should be level when the vehicle is
stopped, performance during travel is not usually effected.

Given this I prefer to have my food stay cold and not risk food illness when I eat it later.