Dodge 3500 mega cab short box pulling 4113

Toybox-1

Is anyone pulling a 4113 or any other 40' plus triple axle with a Dodge 3500 mega cab short box? I have just purchased a 2016 Cyclone 4113 and will be upgrading my truck but I don't want to get a long bed. How is your turning radius and how does is pull? I would love to hear everyone thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Hello Toybox-1,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Be sure and join our Heartland Owners Club. Then join us at a rally when you can meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.
Jim M

Razorbackfan

USN Chief
I pull with a short bed. I run an Anderson hitch with the pin directly over the axle and I can do almost 90 backing. It gets super close but I’ve never been in a situation where I have had to go completely 90. You could also get a slider hitch just watch your tailgate as I had my Anderson setup opposite in the pin putting it behind the axle a bit and the pin box bracket was almost on top of the tailgate.

Todster

I pull a Cyclone 3513 with our 1 ton shortbed. Pullrite 24k slider handles it all day long. We’ve been doing this for 2 years now and no problems or surprises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PondSkum

I'm pulling a Road Warrior with my 3500 Mega Cab Dually. Definitely get a hitch that will push the pin back for maneuvering. I have a Curt Q20 slider, and although it will turn pretty tight without it slid back, if you aren't careful, it will make contact with the cab and could do some damage if you bump it too hard. I managed to barely bump mine and put a small dent in the corner of my cab. It was just a reminder that I have a sliding hitch, maybe I should start using it.... With the hitch slid back in the "maneuvering" position, I have plenty of room to make some tight turns.

Toybox-1

Thanks for the reply's. I have a Dodge 2500 now that I pulled my old rig with and it will pull the new one but I am moving to a dually to handle the extra weight and be a little safer. I like the mega cab short box look but just wanted to make sure.

2PawsRiver

I changed over to a 2018 Dodge 3500 dually from a 2016 Dodge 2500 short box. I went with the long bed because the dealer told me that is where I get that Best in Class Towing...….towed a 4113 yesterday as we were considering buying it. Towed great. My truck has a stock suspension and it did squat about 4 inches, not enough that would think I need to do anything

Just a heads up on the 4113, when we checked the 2018 we were thinking of, at each end of the slides when we got down and looked there were opening you could almost drop a golf ball through. Vents were tore away from the main vent in the storage bay (They use an aluminum tape to build them). Had service come out and they said sometimes they let the vent tear away a little to help heat the bay. Checked under the slides to find out why we could see through the corners and it was because they are supposed to have some foam taped up in the corners on the outside, to seal the holes....yep tape and foam.

Is a beautiful rig, great bay storage and interior storage...….had em down to about 71,000, but only had two AC units. They said they would drop the third in at cost, but I said I would not budge on what I would pay. I think if I had not been so disappointed in the construction I would had ate the 900 and pulled the trigger on it.

If you have any concerns about the electric leveling, make sure you discuss with them how to keep it from going out of sync and how to recover when it does. I used the system to level it, then put it in hitch position, drug it, then couldn't get out from underneath it. Voltage was down and it kept registering an out of sync code, so make sure and include a battery upgrade.

Last thing, then I will quite rambling...…..when we test drove it there was no battery, so the trailer brakes will not register. Truck towed it fine and stopped it fine, just a little unnerving when it doesn't register.

avvidclif

What does a battery have to do with the trailer brakes? If the pigtail is plugged in they should be operational, battery or not. The RV battery is for the operation of the brakes when the breakaway switch is activated.

danemayer

.…..when we test drove it there was no battery, so the trailer brakes will not register. Truck towed it fine and stopped it fine, just a little unnerving when it doesn't register.

There's a problem. The trailer brakes are powered by the tow vehicle, not by the trailer battery. If you mean brake lights, those are also powered by the tow vehicle. You could be missing something at the truck end, or at the connection to the trailer, or in the trailer wiring.

You need to resolve this before towing.

2PawsRiver

There's a problem. The trailer brakes are powered by the tow vehicle, not by the trailer battery. If you mean brake lights, those are also powered by the tow vehicle. You could be missing something at the truck end, or at the connection to the trailer, or in the trailer wiring.

You need to resolve this before towing.

Couldn't tell you. Service tech came out to reset the landing gear and I asked him about it. He was the one that told me that the brakes would not work without a battery on board.

Not working anything out...…..didn't buy it, and after dealing with Terry Town could not be happier about a non-purchase.

You'll be fine with a Mega Cab and either a slider or the hitch we use.
We decided on the B&W Companion hitch in the full-rear position instead of a slider-type.
I highly recommend the Timbren SES for both handling over rough roads and most of the squatting from the hitch-pin weight.

Toybox-1

Thanks for all of the great info. Looks like I will move forward to purchasing a 3500 Mega Cab. With the weights of these new toy haulers you almost need to move up to a 4500 or 5500 to be legal.

chiefneon

Howdy!

I read his post and have a question for those who may know. I have a Cyclone 4000 I’m considering looking for a new TV and like the Dodge 3500 Mega Cab. My question is that I I’ll look at installing a Reese Goose Box (goose neck ball) instead of a fifth wheel. Doing this to keep the bed free for other uses. Any one towed with this type of setup in this truck.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon

PondSkum

Howdy!

I read his post and have a question for those who may know. I have a Cyclone 4000 I’m considering looking for a new TV and like the Dodge 3500 Mega Cab. My question is that I I’ll look at installing a Reese Goose Box (goose neck ball) instead of a fifth wheel. Doing this to keep the bed free for other uses. Any one towed with this type of setup in this truck.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon

Unless the goose box adapter moves the nose of the camper back several inches vs the king pin, then you would have to be very careful during tight turns. I can make fairly sharp turns without sliding my hitch, but the trailer WILL make contact if not watching carefully.