Dodge Diesel Temperatures

teasac69

Just returned from nice 30 day trip around Colorado. Saw amazing views and enjoyed some mild temps.

My concern is for my 2012 Dodge 3500 performance on this trip. 55,000 miles, completely stock, have not done EGR delete, every fluid freshly serviced, transmission and differentials serviced just prior to departure, fresh oil change. Yes, we were pulling some fairly serious grades but never imagined for a moment this truck would struggle with my 2014 BH 3875FB. The engine temp frequently got to 220 and the transmission was staying around 200 as well, dipping back into 190's when fairly easy running.

I don't have the Aisin tranny and sure wish I did but that aside, what temps should I be seeing on long pulls?

I lost the transmission coming down from Estes Park via Central City. Had to limp it back to Denver and Dodge dealer pulled it and said yes it was fried. Rebuilt it and put me back on the road in day and half !!!! (Christopher Dodge in Golden if you need a dealer while in the Denver metro).

Very concerned. Just retired, this was our initial "real" trip and then we have many more planned including a possible run to Alaska next year. I need to count on this truck and sure never had problems with a Dodge before. Looking for honest, open feedback/suggestions.

I really don't want to do the EGR delete. Too many horror stories about folks getting caught with the EGR delete and truck smoking like a train and getting fined and impounded. Power is ok but serious concerns about this tranny.

thanks always.

Jim.Allison

Higher altitudes will bring higher temps on gauges. You have less molecules of air for the fan to push across the radiator and transmission cooler, and less molecules of air to absorbe the heat. My question would be, "what were your temps after the transmission rebuild?"

teasac69

Higher altitudes will bring higher temps on gauges. You have less molecules of air for the fan to push across the radiator and transmission cooler, and less molecules of air to absorbe the heat. My question would be, "what were your temps after the transmission rebuild?"

The temps started to climb as the tranny started to slip and lose effectiveness. It finally got up to 240 and red light came on when it went bad. After the rebuild the tranny pulled good but on the highest climbs it got up to 204-205 range staying around the 190's on flat ground. The engine temp would get to 215-219 and then tranny temp to 190-200 when pulling grades.

When I got back to Texas and the ambient temp was 100 the temps all rose a bit with the engine getting up to 221-222 and the tranny getting 204-205.

Power247

The 68RFE is definitely the weak point in the power train but they usually hold up ok on a stock truck :(. There are several companies now that offer products to help support the longevity of the 68. I now guys that have used various products from both BD Performance and Revmax with no complaints. Any where from trans pressure boosters all the way to custom reman trans kits.

Like Jim, I'm curious what your temps were like after the rebuild. I have not pulled our tt into the mountains so I don't know what temps to expect (first trip into the mountains being banned for this fall) but when pulling around here I never see engineer over 205 and trans over 180.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

I did a round trip to El Paso, and another to Dallas from San Antonio in my 2013 2500 6.7 Crew cab. I noticed the water 190 to 210, similar oil temp (oil temps lag water temp), and transmission temps in the 175 to 190 range. I just back off a little or grab 5th and run at about 2000 RPM for a while to get the temps down. Its effective. 100-110 degrees ambient translates to some serious temps from the surface of the road to about 4 foot up. As far as your transmission is concerned, I would not be concerned with the 68, it is a tough transmission, but it is not a AISIN or Allison. It is a fully capable transmission though. To me, the problem with your transmission is not the fact that it is a 68 but rather just a purely mechanical problem, it is critical that the GCVWR is not exceeded and I doubt that you are exceeding that, what diff do you have?. There is no shame in dropping down a gear and running 2000 RPM to help cool all that stuff off.

The temps started to climb as the tranny started to slip and lose effectiveness. It finally got up to 240 and red light came on when it went bad. After the rebuild the tranny pulled good but on the highest climbs it got up to 204-205 range staying around the 190's on flat ground. The engine temp would get to 215-219 and then tranny temp to 190-200 when pulling grades.

When I got back to Texas and the ambient temp was 100 the temps all rose a bit with the engine getting up to 221-222 and the tranny getting 204-205.

IronJ

I no longer have the dodge, but my new 2012 dually ate up 2 transmissions over 12k miles....loads were ~18k and the drives were 1/2 flat and 1/2 mountains....on the 3rd tranny my dodge tech referred me to 2 aftermarket tranny builders who could handle the job......I gave up.....my ford new runs 215-220 tranny temp....tow or no....I guess it just is that way..??. Seems warm but that's what it does no issues....really I have NEVER overheated the tranny...even on long steep pulls I only get the aux jet propulsion fan....lol

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

oldelmer1

I just returned from Cape Cod and Bar Harbor, engine temps would rise to 217, then the fan came on and dropped back down to 200 where it usually runs.

Trans was around 165 to 180 with tow haul and exhaust brake on.

But on the way home, without tow haul and exhaust brake on, coming thru Lancaster PA on Rt 272, lots of up/down and traffic, Trans got up to 230. Started looking for a place to pull over, but the hills stopped so we kept going.

So your temps are pretty close to mine.

teasac69

I did a round trip to El Paso, and another to Dallas from San Antonio in my 2013 2500 6.7 Crew cab. I noticed the water 190 to 210, similar oil temp (oil temps lag water temp), and transmission temps in the 175 to 190 range. I just back off a little or grab 5th and run at about 2000 RPM for a while to get the temps down. Its effective. 100-110 degrees ambient translates to some serious temps from the surface of the road to about 4 foot up. As far as your transmission is concerned, I would not be concerned with the 68, it is a tough transmission, but it is not a AISIN or Allison. It is a fully capable transmission though. To me, the problem with your transmission is not the fact that it is a 68 but rather just a purely mechanical problem, it is critical that the GCVWR is not exceeded and I doubt that you are exceeding that, what diff do you have?. There is no shame in dropping down a gear and running 2000 RPM to help cool all that stuff off.

I have 3.73 gears and yes I also use that paddle shift on the gear shift to help drop it into 5th a bit early when heading up a long pull and I did see a slight drop in the trans temp when I gear it down. + or - 3-4 degrees. I still wanting to talk to either a Dodge engineer or a highly experienced tech that can tell me what the actual expectation is of this 68 tranny so far as normal temp, slightly high temp on steep grades (up or down) and the MAX temp before damage is happening so I would pull over and let it rest a bit before continuing on. I'm retired, I'm not in a hurry. I just want it to be reliable and I can manage the down shifting, etc., as long as I know what those temps are. I cannot seem to find someone that can tell me.

I'm in warranty until 100k so I can't do the after market rebuild but I'm either going to a beefed up tranny or going to a hauler truck. I refuse to worry about what my truck is going to do when I'm heading off on the trip of a lifetime but I respect mechanical devices enough to try hard not to use more than 85% of some capacity. My truck shows to have 25k GVWR combined and I weighed my rig and truck together loaded outbound for this last trip and it weighed 24,400.

thanks, keep up the feedback and thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

I just returned from Cape Cod and Bar Harbor, engine temps would rise to 217, then the fan came on and dropped back down to 200 where it usually runs.

Trans was around 165 to 180 with tow haul and exhaust brake on.

But on the way home, without tow haul and exhaust brake on, coming thru Lancaster PA on Rt 272, lots of up/down and traffic, Trans got up to 230. Started looking for a place to pull over, but the hills stopped so we kept going.

So your temps are pretty close to mine.

AFter the failure and rebuild, I haven't seen the trans temp higher than 205 and engine temp 221 but like you say, then that fan kicks in on the engine and drops the engine temp quickly but the trans temp takes a little gearing down or slowing down to drop it.

GWRam

I called Ram 4 days in a row, talking to different (tech) reps this past June before driving through the mountain passes in Wyoming/Idaho on our trip out west.
After hours of sitting on hold, not a single rep could even begin to give me a range for Coolant,Trans,Oil Temp or Press.
All they could tell me was I would get a warning light (when it is too late).
I monitored our temps and pressure and since they didn't change much from flat land driving I didn't worry about it. I would think that the temp limits and pressures
would be readily available info. I still can't find the info.
IMG_1509.jpg.

teasac69

What was the extent of the repairs? Overhaul? Clutches? TC?

According to the service tech, the tranny was toast. Took complete inside overhaul. Appeared the clutches failed and caused the rest of the guts to implode.

- - - Updated - - -

I called Ram 4 days in a row, talking to different (tech) reps this past June before driving through the mountain passes in Wyoming/Idaho on our trip out west.
After hours of sitting on hold, not a single rep could even begin to give me a range for Coolant,Trans,Oil Temp or Press.
All they could tell me was I would get a warning light (when it is too late).
I monitored our temps and pressure and since they didn't change much from flat land driving I didn't worry about it. I would think that the temp limits and pressures
would be readily available info. I still can't find the info.
View attachment 47000.

so what was your experience with temps? on your hardest grades up or down, what was your engine temp and trans temp?

Ive been following this discussion and all the topics where covered right away. However. I could add that watching my gauges in a 2010 ram 3500. The trans temp seemed to be around 140 until I put a few miles on the road and it would climb to about 180 towing. My first trip hooked up and towing real mountains in traffic and in reduced speed zones. I saw over 200 and even 220.

I got a little concerned. Researching transmission fluids back when I towed with a 97 ram 2500. Trans fluid life was reduced when subjected to anything over 190 degrees.

So i pulled into a ram dealer in Calgary for a trans fluid change. There the tech explained this was normal. He has a similar truck and pulled a horse trailer all across the US and Canada and said 200 was ok because all the recommended fluids are now synthetic and designed to perform and hold up with these temps.

Another conclusion I came to was trucks have their temp senders in different locations. A sender inside the trans pan will read different than a sensor inside the transmission

I also tow easy. I save the heavy throttle for only when I need it. I figure the thousand or so wear parts required to accelerate and pull up a grade would wear quicker than if I took it easy. Like teacac69 commented. Keep the strain on the truck under the 85% capability. And your truck will last a lot longer especially towing near your GVWR.

Sorry to to hear about the transmission issue. A good dealer should swap that out very quickly under warranty

2010 Ram 3500 HD traded in for new 2015 3500 HD DRW mega cab with 3.42 gears
I haven't hooked up yet, we'll see how it pulls with 17" wheels. (Pulls great !)
2014 Cyclone 3100
G614 Goodyears
Good Sam gps
Trimark keyed alike
Xantex 2000 watt inverter "Inverter Service Center"
Blue Sea System toggle source selector
L.E.D. running lights
Quadra Bigfoot levelers
Dexter wet bolts
Boyo wireless backup camera
EMS-HW50C
TST 507RV
Smittybuilt air compressor
Splendide 2100XC
26k Husky hitch
Mor Ryde pin box
6-volt 240 AH batteries
Added dinette
Replaced L.E.D. tail lights with Leading Edge Trailer light bars (made in the US)

Jim.Allison

I don't have it yet, I ordered it on June 16th and it ships on the 20th Aug. I was shopping several dealers, and all of them wanted to order a 2016 for me because I wanted the AISIN, a long bed Crew, with brown over gold to match the rig. There were none in the country with SRW. They all told me that the 2017 could be ordered soon. I said to myself; "self?" why the heck would you order a 2016 when the 2017 was right around the corner. Then Ancira RAM (San Antonio) called and asked if I wanted to order a 17, and I said of course. So its been on order for about 7 weeks now.

Jim, how do you have a 2017 RAM already?

And can you tell us the specs?

Thanks,
Tom

teasac69

Ive been following this discussion and all the topics where covered right away. However. I could add that watching my gauges in a 2010 ram 3500. The trans temp seemed to be around 140 until I put a few miles on the road and it would climb to about 180 towing. My first trip hooked up and towing real mountains in traffic and in reduced speed zones. I saw over 200 and even 220.

I got a little concerned. Researching transmission fluids back when I towed with a 97 ram 2500. Trans fluid life was reduced when subjected to anything over 190 degrees.

So i pulled into a ram dealer in Calgary for a trans fluid change. There the tech explained this was normal. He has a similar truck and pulled a horse trailer all across the US and Canada and said 200 was ok because all the recommended fluids are now synthetic and designed to perform and hold up with these temps.

Another conclusion I came to was trucks have their temp senders in different locations. A sender inside the trans pan will read different than a sensor inside the transmission

I also tow easy. I save the heavy throttle for only when I need it. I figure the thousand or so wear parts required to accelerate and pull up a grade would wear quicker than if I took it easy. Like teacac69 commented. Keep the strain on the truck under the 85% capability. And your truck will last a lot longer especially towing near your GVWR.

Sorry to to hear about the transmission issue. A good dealer should swap that out very quickly under warranty

2010 Ram 3500 HD traded in for new 2015 3500 HD DRW mega cab with 3.42 gears
I haven't hooked up yet, we'll see how it pulls with 17" wheels. (Pulls great !)
2014 Cyclone 3100
G614 Goodyears
Good Sam gps
Trimark keyed alike
Xantex 2000 watt inverter "Inverter Service Center"
Blue Sea System toggle source selector
L.E.D. running lights
Quadra Bigfoot levelers
Dexter wet bolts
Boyo wireless backup camera
EMS-HW50C
TST 507RV
Smittybuilt air compressor
Splendide 2100XC
26k Husky hitch
Mor Ryde pin box
6-volt 240 AH batteries
Added dinette
Replaced L.E.D. tail lights with Leading Edge Trailer light bars (made in the US)

As I mentioned earlier the Golden, CO dealer Christopher Dodge did the job in 1.5 days, including a radiator flush and fill. Could not recommend a dealer more than those guys. I took the truck in at 4 pm on Monday and he said most likely could not get it done to Friday at best and Monday more likley. I explained our situation of somewhat stranded on the road with large RV we can't find a place to hook it up and he said we'll talk tomorrow. He called me about 10:00 am Tuesday, said the tranny was on the floor and looked very bad internally and would require complete rebuild. I asked him to do the flush and fill while he had it since I was approaching 60k and want to keep it clear and clean for max cooling. He called me Wed morning at 11:00 and ready to go. Amazing response time and so far so good.

teasac69

Well in case anyone might still be interested, here's a brief update on the saga:

Everyone I have talked to and research I have done into the matter all seem to point to the transmission temp "should" stay in the 180-190 range under most normal situations, while towing. (obviously much cooler if nothing in tow). Most also agree as long as you don't let it climb higher than 205-210 range under max climb/towing/hot temps, you will just need to change the fluid out more often than the 60,000 for towing recommendation.

I added the Mag-Hytech transmission pan to mine, which gives me the cooling fins but also a quick way to just change out the fluid if I were to find myself causing the temp to climb into that lower 200's range a bit while scaling a serious range or in extreme heat.

We still have plenty of summer left in Texas so I'm sure I'll get a chance to test the new temp performance with this new pan. (in case you are not familiar with the Mag-Hytech, it provides 3 more qts capacity and large cooling fins on the pan to provide additional cooling to a higher volume of fluid).

I also took the front grille off and did some detailed cleaning of all the cooling fins on the oil cooler and radiator.

I get the feeling that most think I'm a bit paranoid with my hyper concern over this tranny temp thing but having blown one tranny (your fault, my fault, nobody's fault), I just want to be more aware of the temp and monitor the performance so it doesn't interfere with our trip and good times.

thanks for listening.

Power247

Well in case anyone might still be interested, here's a brief update on the saga:

Everyone I have talked to and research I have done into the matter all seem to point to the transmission temp "should" stay in the 180-190 range under most normal situations, while towing. (obviously much cooler if nothing in tow). Most also agree as long as you don't let it climb higher than 205-210 range under max climb/towing/hot temps, you will just need to change the fluid out more often than the 60,000 for towing recommendation.

I added the Mag-Hytech transmission pan to mine, which gives me the cooling fins but also a quick way to just change out the fluid if I were to find myself causing the temp to climb into that lower 200's range a bit while scaling a serious range or in extreme heat.

We still have plenty of summer left in Texas so I'm sure I'll get a chance to test the new temp performance with this new pan. (in case you are not familiar with the Mag-Hytech, it provides 3 more qts capacity and large cooling fins on the pan to provide additional cooling to a higher volume of fluid).

I also took the front grille off and did some detailed cleaning of all the cooling fins on the oil cooler and radiator.

I get the feeling that most think I'm a bit paranoid with my hyper concern over this tranny temp thing but having blown one tranny (your fault, my fault, nobody's fault), I just want to be more aware of the temp and monitor the performance so it doesn't interfere with our trip and good times.

thanks for listening.
Thaanks for sharing! I don't blame you a bit for being extra cautious. I am still on the fence about upgrading some of the internals on mine when I have the 60k service done.

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310