Dodge particular filter 100% clogged

Bobby A

Need help all you Dodge lovers. Bought my 07 3500 Mega Cab new, it was an early 07 with the 6.7L CTD, had problems from the start with the particular filter clogging up, it was in the shop a month the first. Now it happened again with 55K miles on it. Thanks God its still under warranty. The dealership has done several flashes and software updates, they did tell me the first time that these trucks need to get hot to burn off the junk thats collects in the particular filter. This time the truck never indicated 80% full like it suppose to. It just lost power than the engine light came on, and on my way to the dealership the overhead came on and said exhaust 100% full. Any help in regards to this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby A

beardedone

Beardedone
I have 70,000 km on mine and have never seen that. On occasion I have seen 80% full and when you get that it usually takes a 30 minute drive at highway speeds to clean out. It is important to check the overhead message centre immediately after the engine is started as that is when the dinger will ring once (only) and briefly show a message. Otherwise you should scan through that message centre (far left button) to see what it is saying. If you have been using it for a lot of grocery getting then there can be a problem. It really does need highway driving to keep clean. If none of these things apply to you then the dealer is your only hope as something is malfunctioning in the process. Do you drive with your exhaust brake on at all times, if not you should because the EB being on really helps to keep the turbo clean also.

Rrloren

When it indicates 100% full my understanding is that the Dealer has to burn it off. It may need a new DPF.
I have 58m miles on mine and never saw over 80% full and when I do I go for a 20 min ride to burn it off.
I also run with the EGR valve unplugged which not only reduces the need for burnoffs but it improves fuel mileage between 2- 3 mpg.
There are some who remove the DPF altogether and install sims in the bungs to eliminate code lights or buy a programmer such as Smarty to eliminate the codes. With no DPF your mileage will improve and it will never regenerate. It is , however, illegal .

mgdg

Take it to the dealer they will burn it off and reprogram the computer with a new flash. This will have it regenerate at the right intervals and all will be fine.

Bobby A

thanks guys I knew I could rely on this forum for information. I have seen 80% the first time this happened and I would drive the highway as Dodge reccomends, but this time I never got a message, and when I did it said service required see dealer, and while driving to the dealership thats when it announced filter 100% filled. I got a call and the dealership ordered another Particular filter. I do use this truck for everyday driving, but do use the freeway ofter. We just got back a couple weeks back from a 400 mile freeway drive. I am suppose to leave next week with the horn for a 5 day trip, just glad this didn't happen with the horn attached to the TV. I welcome any more input. Thanks guys

Rrloren

You may want to consider buying an Edge Insight , which will display when you go into regen amonst many other parameters.

PUG

Pug
These are truck engines and are made to work. If you drive them around town they will plug up. My pyro lets me know when it is in regen and I never shut it off until it cools down from the regen. I just drive my car or street bike around town.

Moose

Have you had the J35 flash done?

Drive it like ya stole it . . . . with EB on all the time.

Bobby A

Have you had the J35 flash done?

Drive it like ya stole it . . . . with EB on all the time.

Moose,
I have had so many flashes done I've lost count, I'am not sure about the J35 your refering to. Just can't get myself in the mindset to keep the EB on all the time, I do use it frequently when exiting off freeways though.

Moose

Moose,
I have had so many flashes done I've lost count, I'am not sure about the J35 your refering to. Just can't get myself in the mindset to keep the EB on all the time, I do use it frequently when exiting off freeways though.

FYI on the J35.

April 2010 Dealer Service Instructions for: Emissions Recall J35
Reprogram ECM – Regeneration Strategy

Effective immediately, all repairs on involved vehicles are to be performed
according to this notification. Rapid Response Transmittal (RRT) 09-086 and
Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) #18-024-09 rev. A have been cancelled. All
vehicles that have previously had the above RRT or TSB completed will require
this Recall.

2007-2009 (DH/D1) Dodge Ram Truck (2500/3500 series)
NOTE: This recall applies only to the above vehicles equipped with a 6.7L diesel engine (sales code ETJ).

The Engine Control Module (ECM) software program on about 159,700 of the
above vehicles may cause illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL)
when no problem exists or under certain conditions allow heavy sooting of the
turbocharger, exhaust gas recirculation valve and diesel particulate filter. Heavy sooting could damage emissions components and result in increased emissions. The ECM must be reflashed.