Dodge RAM 2500 - 3500 Factory Steering Recall - 1 Million Trucks?

wdk450

Gang:
This weekend I was driving on a pretty level stretch of I-80 and felt the truck pulling to the right. I didn't bother with the Dodge dealer (at first) since I had heard on this forum about the shortage of parts. Not thinking it WAS the tie rod ends. I took in to Les Schwab Tires for an alignment, they had it on the rack for about 5 minutes, took it back outside and told me it needed new . . . . tire rod ends. I immediately drove down the street to the Dodge dealer with the report from Les Schwab. The Dodge dealer checked my VIN and told me . . . . MY TRUCK WASN'T COVERED UNDER THE RECALL!! Since I am planning to travel about 250 miles on Saturday with the trailer, I just let Les Schwab do the work for a little under $300.
So, even though your truck is in the covered sizes and years, you might want to check the VIN with your local Dodge dealer to see if it IS under the recall; and maybe have the front end checked out anyways, to be safe.

Miller0758

Had my truck in today for inspection of two outstanding front end recalls. All was OK. The dealer went over my truck from head to toe and made a point in saying what good condition it's in for 8 years old. Good thing because I don't have 60K for a new one. At 110K in miles, it's just getting broken in.

olcoon

I forgot to add, that I'm sure somewhere I read that one thing that will "promote" this issue is slow left hand turns, which I was in the process of doing, making a 3 point turn around. I had the wheels cranked all the way to the left & was backing up.

porthole

Retired
I forgot to add, that I'm sure somewhere I read that one thing that will "promote" this issue is slow left hand turns, which I was in the process of doing, making a 3 point turn around. I had the wheels cranked all the way to the left & was backing up.

That is the main contributing factor.

happykraut

Just got off the phone with a Dodge dealer in the RGV. He said they received a shipment of 20 tie rods last week, but they have already been installed. There are 2 types of tie rods. If it is a 49(as stated on your recall card), then it will have to be replaced.

olcoon

Well, we got the truck back this afternoon. We went to the Costal Bend pot luck that was at Southern Oaks, & Dan Halverson came & picked us up. Had a great time at the pot luck, and as things were winding down, got the call that all was finished, & we could pick it up. Steve & Mary Wilson were getting ready to leave & gave us a ride to the dealership, worked out well! THANK YOU Dan, Steve & Mary!!! While they had it in there, I also had them do an oil change, as it was over due & I was going to get it done down here, I've got an "extended warranty" for oil changes, that's what Dodge calls it, I'll pre-pay for I think 3 oil changes & it's cheaper than getting them 1 at a time, wind up getting 1 basically for free. It was nice to have work done at a dealership, & walk out without paying anything!!! Everything seems to be working fine so we are happy. BTW, I was real pleased with Allen Samuels Dodge in Aransas Pass. They got my truck in & out in a very timely manner, and everyone I had contact with were pleasant, helpful, and professional. When all this happened, I had visions of having to wait for a long time to get it repaired due to the parts shortage on the recall. They went over & above to adjust their customers who were in line for the recall parts to get us back on the road. Very pleased!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I got my recall notice today. Dealership said they need to check and see if my truck has the tie rods that need to be replaced. Guess I'll have to dig her out of the garage.

Gaffer

Don't wait to get to the dealer or call in with your VIN. Where I live, the dealer is taking them first come, first serve as parts become available and doing one per week. This is the only dealer for a hundred miles. I am 14th on the list.

Sajo

You would think Dodge would have the supplies available for the repairs. I made contact Jan.6 and was told to call back Feb. 6. We are back on the road in March so I surely don't want to wait 14 weeks! Towing 7 tons, I don't want anything to break.

olcoon

When mine broke, when I picked it up after it was fixed, I was talking to the service guy & he told me that "usually" when it happens, is in a low speed, tight turn. It creates a lot of stress on the tie rod ends. Which is what I was doing. How many times when we are parking our rigs are we in a low speed tight turn?

Clovdahl

On 1-17-14 we pulled into our spot. After a couple back and forths to align the campers triples, the 2500 started resisting moving. I hopped out, and my drivers side tire was about 80 degrees off straight. The tie rod ball joint connection had completely fallen off. Luckily the local dealer had parts and replaced the entire assembly. Since the recall was out, it was no cost to us. Could it have happened at road speeds? Glad we didn't have to find out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Went to the Dodge / Ram dealer yesterday in Yuma, Arizona. They did a visual inspection and the bad news is that mine does need to be replaced. And the bad news is they have a 2 to 3 month waiting list due to lack of parts! I guess I will try every dealer along the road on our trip to Oregon! :mad:

olcoon

Just be careful of tight turns at low speed…like backing your rig into a campsite. I was told that puts a lot of stress on the tie rod end & causes it to break. Good luck finding a dealer that's got one & someone hasn't already got an appointment for it!

wdk450

Went to the Dodge / Ram dealer yesterday in Yuma, Arizona. They did a visual inspection and the bad news is that mine does need to be replaced. And the bad news is they have a 2 to 3 month waiting list due to lack of parts! I guess I will try every dealer along the road on our trip to Oregon! :mad:

You might just want to "bite the bullet" and have an independent alignment shop do the work at your expense, like I did with Les Schwab tires, rather than hoping you don't have an incident/accident. It cost me about $300 to get fixes (including alignment). I have heard on this forum that Dodge replaces the parts adjusted to the same length, but doesn't do an alignment!

olcoon

I don't know for sure, I wasn't there when they did mine, but when I called to check on it, I was told it was almost done & was on the alignment rack as we were speaking. I don't know if the dealer just did it, or it's SOP when they do the recall work. Of course what I was told & what actually happened could be like what we see on the internet….

Bobby A

I'm just doing a followup, does anyone have any updated information on the parts shortage ?? The last I heard was Chrysler was giving out 3 parts per week per dealership ??

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
I'm just doing a followup, does anyone have any updated information on the parts shortage ?? The last I heard was Chrysler was giving out 3 parts per week per dealership ??

I had my oil changed today and the dealer told me that the parts for the recall have been recalled and the already fixed recalls will get recalled again. I was also told that production on new trucks is being halted and the parts are going to be put into the system to address the recall (not sure if I believe that).

OtterMN

My dealer told me the same thing a month or two ago... the recall parts had been recalled... how much of a danger is this? I'm a little nervous about towing my 3950 with my whole family all over the place... how long could it possibly take for a fix to what would seem like a simple issue to me? I'm going to call my dealer and raise **** tomorrow.