RAM Diesels recall 2010-2014

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
http://kfor.com/2014/10/29/382000-ram-pickups-recalled-for-fire-risk/

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) — Potential for a fuel leak and fire, as well as a separate issue impacting vehicle stability systems, are behind two Dodge and Jeep recalls Wednesday morning.

Fiat Chrysler said the fuel heater assembly used in certain 2010-2014 model year Dodge Ram diesel trucks can overheat. That can lead to fuel leaking and potentially a fire.

The company said there have been two reports of overheating, but is aware of no fires, injuries or accidents.

The recall covers Ram models 2500, 3500, 4500 and 5500. Most of the 382,000 vehicles are in the U.S. The fix involves upgrading wiring harness terminals and, if necessary, the housing for the fuel heater, the company said.

Chrysler also announced a recall of about 184,000 SUVs for an issue with the electronic stability control system.

A fault can disable the system, it said, but a software upgrade can fix that.

Dodge Durango and Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles from 2014 are included in the recall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kosanko

I know A FEW Az. chapter members are driving these trucks, and hope they see this post...

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I know A FEW Az. chapter members are driving these trucks, and hope they see this post...

I've been driving Dodge trucks for over 30 years . . . but recently bought a brand new 2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD . . . my first ever Chevy truck!

Guess I'm glad I made the switch when I did . . .

Old and new:

DodgeLastTime-IMG_20140901_194212486.jpg EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg CamperInYard-IMG_0069.jpg TaosTruckAtGorge-P1020821.jpg Campout2012CampingWorld-PC270075.jpg TruckOnLookoutMountain-IMG_20141010_134015656.jpg TruckTopper-IMG_20141004_142131159.jpg Rifle2014-IMG_20140920_173417783.jpg Newtruck&trailer-IMG_20140829_090639644.jpg NewTruckTrailerLevel-IMG_20140918_130913251.jpg

But, no matter what anyone says . . . I've loved every Dodge truck I've ever had (six of them over the years) . . . which is more than I can say for the three Ford trucks I've had during that period of time!

Of the three Fords . . . I liked one of them a lot . . . the other two, well . . . no comment!

Other than to say that all three of them loved to see the repair shop more than any vehicle I've ever owned!

stevenssr

Ohhhhhhh noooooooooo, well Im glad they came clean, unlike others.

I agree. I don't mind bringing my vehicles in for recall work. I only get frustrated when problems need to be recalled and aren't. This article says that they have had two overheating cases, no fires, and no injuries. I applaud Dodge for seeing a problem, addressing it with "current" owners and building customer loyalty. If they waited until they actually killed someone or were forced to act that wouldn't be good.

Honestly, I would like to see more accountability in the RV industry. I know they do some recalls, but maybe not everything they should. So far, I've had, what I believe to be, 3 safety related repairs done to my trailer. One was the plastic propane line connecting the slide to the trailer was getting pinched and would have eventually cracked at the fold point and leaked propane. They shouldn't be using plastic gas lines in a movement situation without some sort of metal braiding or something to keep it from folding and wearing at a single point. 2nd was an electrical short in the same slide. The slide was pinching the electrical lines and it wore through causing a short. 3rd may be controversial, but I think Blowmax is a safety issue. The first two issues were addressed under warranty because they became real problems. Of course, I had to change the tires myself.

I know a single problem does not constitute justification for a recall, but I hope the RV industry is monitoring their safety issues and notifying us when we are in danger. In this case, 382,000 trucks are being recalled because they experienced two "real" problems. I wonder what the criteria is for a recall in the RV industry. This just got me thinking.

EPaulikonis

Not sure how many have access, but you can register for an account at Ram Owners. Once logged in, go to the Maintain and Care tab and you can search for recalls on vehicle's you've registered in the system. Be sure to have your VIN handy when you create the account. Really nice since you can subscribe to get automatic Recall info sent to e-mail.

I've checked the site twice since reading the post and my 2014 Ram 3500 isn't on the hit list yet. Assume they'll continue scrubbing vehicles and adding to the recall over the next few days/weeks.

ncrzrbk

I have checked my 14' 3500 as well and still haven't seen anything. Thanks for posting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FiremanBill

I hit the Ram owners site and didn't even need to put my VIN in there, when I put in my name and address it was already on file. Recall in effect, making apt next week to get Bart in the shop.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This thread is about a RAM diesel recall.
There are a couple of non relevant posts here.
Lets keep the replies on track with the recall.

Peace
Dave

EPaulikonis

Your welcome. Hope it helps many find the answer on recall status for their Dodge a little quicker.

Best of luck w/Bart FiremanBill!