Dodge Ram Longhorn

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
I saw a new Dodge Ram Longhorn today and it was very impressive. I've always been a Ford man but I've got to say, this Dodge looked very nice. My question is, does anyone have any experience with the Dodge's as TVs. It has a 6.7L Cummins with a 6speed automatic. The HP and Torque are the same as the new 6.7L Fords; 400HP and 800# torque. What am I missing here? Ken

olcoon

You'll probably get a lot of responses, there are a lot of Dodge owners on here. I've got a 2010 Dodge 2500, and there is no comparison between the Dodge & the Chevy I used to have. But to be fair, the Chevy had a gas engine. We were in CO this past summer, and the Dodge pulled the mountains like the her wasn't back there. I've got the exhaust brake on it, & LOVE it. While going down hill in tow/haul, hardly used the brakes, actually had to speed up sometimes! Also got the factory brake controller, and it works fine. Some people have had problems with theirs, but so far mine is working fine. I've got around 30,000 miles on it, and I'm getting around 22MPG on the road without the 5er, and around 12-14 with the 5er. All in all I'm very​ happy with it.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
We love ours. It has been an awesome tow vehicle. Our North Trail is by no means a large 5er and does not come close to maxing the weight limits of the truck, but it pulls like a dream. It's quiet, powerful and has tons of low end torque. I can't imagine what it would be like with the new HP and torque ratings. It is an 07 Quad Cab DRW, with the 6.7 and it just turned 12000 miles, so we are hoping to get a few more years out of her. It also allows us to upgrade to a larger unit with no problems. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the new diesels. They all have awesome power. I guess it just comes down to what you like.

I forgot to mention that the exhaust brake is amazing and I get around 13-14mpg towing 10000lbs

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

We have the truck in our sig. The 2012s are 350 hp 800 trq. Towing the cyclone we get 8. In the hills of Colorado, we were getting 5.5 mpg. Unloaded with the cruise set I'm around 11-12. I am having mine bought back by ram for being a lemon. If I could do it over, I wouldve bought a ford. They have a ton more power, make better mileage and have higher payload and towing numbers. The dodge is better looking and the exhaust break is great. My towing mileage hasn't changed in 10k miles with about 6k being towing. Let me know if you have anymore questions. The new truck will have 4.10s instead of 3.73s and max tow option

Brett

Rrloren

I tow my Sundance with my slightly modded 07 and the power is awesome. The tq. comes on at lower rpm's than the V8's which is an advantage.
I get 17-18 mpg rural type driving and 13-14 towing on the East coast flatlands. The mileage seemed to improve after 30-40m miles. Currently have 75m on it and have had no problems.
Oh yeah, the exhaust brake is a very nice addition.

hoefler

We have a 2010, 350 hp 650 torque, been to Key West and to Vegas with it from South West Mo. It has been flawless, we now have 35,000 miles on it. The exhaust brake works way better then the GM or the Ford. We pull a fully loaded Landmark, gets 9.8 doing 70. We are very happy with it.

GOTTOYS

The new Ram H.O. has 350 hp not 400..I have a 2010 with the 350hp engine. More than enough power for me, the best truck seats I have ever had. No problems at all in a little over 36,000 miles, none. My only complaint with them is they have a rather limited load capacity compared to the others. I don't know how olcoon is getting 22mpg on the road and 12-14 towing though. Mine gets 16-18 on the highway empty at 70 mph depending on whether it's Summer blended fuel or Winter blended fuel. And I generally get around 11 mpg towing 11,500# with a low of around 9 mpg in a strong headwind to a high of maybe 12. I have 3:73 gears and the 6spd auto. My factory brake controller is junk. Have it set on 10 which is all the way up, adjusted my trailer brakes way up..and I just hate the way it works. Look around the web and find lots of complaints on them. Supposed to better on the 2012s. I have a P3 to install. Overall I'm pretty satisfied...Don

rarnold

I went from my beloved '79 F250 to a '01 Dodge 2500 Turbo Diesel 5.9. Then, last year I up-graded to an '06 Dodge 3500 TD 5.9 4 spd auto in anticipation of buying our first fiver. We bought our Sundance in May of this year and spent the whole month of July traversing the Canadian Rockies. We loved the experience and had no problem with the truck or trailer. The Banks exhaust brake I added on prior to the trip came in very handy! I LOVE my Dodge and Sundance! Happy hunting and good luck with your choice.

ricatic

The optional HO version is 400 Hp with 800 ft pd torque. Became available around March/April this year as a running change.

Gottoys is correct. The new HO Cummin's introduced mid year in the 2011 Dodge HD pickup lineup is 350 HP and 800 lb/ft of torque. It matches the Ford on torque numbers only. No brand war attempts here...I am considering a 2013 Dodge Dually...but only if they move to DEF emissions control.

Here is a link to the Pickuptrucks.com shootout which has the HO Dodge spec's prominently displayed:

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2011/08/2011-heavy-duty-hurt-locker-introduction.html

Regards

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Gottoys is correct. The new HO Cummin's introduced mid year in the 2011 Dodge HD pickup lineup is 350 HP and 800 lb/ft of torque. It matches the Ford on torque numbers only. No brand war attempts here...I am considering a 2013 Dodge Dually...but only if they move to DEF emissions control.

Here is a link to the Pickuptrucks.com shootout which has the HO Dodge spec's prominently displayed:

http://special-reports.pickuptrucks.com/2011/08/2011-heavy-duty-hurt-locker-introduction.html

Regards

Ricatic... I thought a 2012 without def would be better. All I here about are problems and expenses related to def. I am considering (test drove a 2500) a 2012, what am I missing? Thanks

ricatic

Ricatic... I thought a 2012 without def would be better. All I here about are problems and expenses related to def. I am considering (test drove a 2500) a 2012, what am I missing? Thanks

It is a personal preference decision. The guy's who have no experience with a DEF truck are generally against the change. Guy's like me who have owned a DEF truck know the real story. Both the GM and Ford trucks with DEF systems run cleaner, produce less soot, have many fewer EGR events and fewer Diesel Particulate Filter regenerations. This produces fuel economy increases that easily offset the 1/4 cent per mile DEF product costs. The better fuel economy has been documented by the earlier posted PUT.com article.

Considering that Ford has produced 400000 DEF trucks and GM nears 200000 DEF trucks built, very few issues have popped up. Both manufacturers had a few problems last winter in extreme cold environments. These issues have been resolved and current truck production should be seeing only normal rates of problem occurrences.

I do not wish to engage in a big debate about the DEF vs Non DEF trucks. If you like the present Dodge system, that us what you should be driving. However, the time is short for non DEF Dodge pickup's. The Cab/chassis trucks have it now...I have been told the 2013 pickups will have it as well. If they do, I will be seriously considering buying a 2013 Dodge.

JMO YMMV

Regards

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have 2009 3500 Dodge single wheel truck which we love. DW drives it daily back and forth to work and of course we are weekend warriors. Haven't had any problems as a tow vehicle or a daily drive. Just saw the Long Horn and and was very much inpressed with the changes but can't warrant the cost difference.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
It is a personal preference decision. The guy's who have no experience with a DEF truck are generally against the change. Guy's like me who have owned a DEF truck know the real story. Both the GM and Ford trucks with DEF systems run cleaner, produce less soot, have many fewer EGR events and fewer Diesel Particulate Filter regenerations. This produces fuel economy increases that easily offset the 1/4 cent per mile DEF product costs. The better fuel economy has been documented by the earlier posted PUT.com article.

Considering that Ford has produced 400000 DEF trucks and GM nears 200000 DEF trucks built, very few issues have popped up. Both manufacturers had a few problems last winter in extreme cold environments. These issues have been resolved and current truck production should be seeing only normal rates of problem occurrences.

I do not wish to engage in a big debate about the DEF vs Non DEF trucks. If you like the present Dodge system, that us what you should be driving. However, the time is short for non DEF Dodge pickup's. The Cab/chassis trucks have it now...I have been told the 2013 pickups will have it as well. If they do, I will be seriously considering buying a 2013 Dodge.

JMO YMMV

Regards

Ricatic....Good to know, Thanks. I guess I might wait for the 2013s, gives me more time to save up some $$$. YMMV?

I test drove the 2012 2500 longhorn diesel about 2 weeks ago, very nice.

rustyshakelford

If I were you, I'd look at the fords before settling with the dodge. They are comparable in price but the performance is exceptional.

Brett

Just upgraded to a new 2012 3500 Longhorn 4x4 with the max tow option. Having the 800# torque and 19,100 tow capacity is a good feeling. So far this truck is great and I am enjoying the bragging rights (for all who will listen).

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

JMO YMMV

Regards

Agree, wholeheartedly!! Have a 2011 Chevy with DEF...it has presented no problem at all...the DIC notifies us when DEF is required, usually at about 5,200 miles...quickly done at next fill-up, and continue on down the road.

I too also like the fact there is no more soot all over my truck and 5er, the quietness of this truck AND the mileage we're getting...17mpg hwy unloaded, and over 12mpg towing our 17,000 trailer (26,500 GCVW)....LOVE our Chevy, DEF and all!!!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just upgraded to a new 2012 3500 Longhorn 4x4 with the max tow option. Having the 800# torque and 19,100 tow capacity is a good feeling. So far this truck is great and I am enjoying the bragging rights (for all who will listen).

Congratulations Bruce, great truck. I've seen that truck and it is awesome.

I love the sound of a Cummins in the afternoon. (Or anytime) ;)

Last edited:

robnmo

The perfect truck

Dodge engine
Chevy drive train
Ford Exterior and interior

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all and especially our uniformed folks that can't be with their families tomorrow.