Dodge Ram Towing

CTA

**** nice truck, I wish you the best of luck with it! Nice truck! Gives me an itch for a new one but I love the one I have and can't rationalize spending $45 - 50k on a truck when mine is paid for and does 95% of everything I ask of it ... I too chose the 3:73 gears and ordered it that way ... no regrets!

garyandbarb

Meandering Canucks
Towing a 3670 with a Dodge

We are full timers and have towed our 3670 with our 2004 Dodge 3500 dually quad cab for more than a year. It has the 410 rear end.To date we have made the following modifications to our Dodge. BD X programmer (use level 1 unless iin the mountains), 5 inch exhaust from the manifold, AFE cone air filter, BD transmission (our stock transmission failed with our previous unit), a BD exhaust brake, FASS fuel delivery/deairiation and heating system and Firestone air bags on the rear axle.

With these modifications the truck handles the 3670 very well. We get approximately 10.5 Miles per US gallon. The stock truck will not perform well or safely. In my opinion the only other option is a mid sized truck such as Freightliner.

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Gary
Sounds like you have a nice setup. With the BD programmer, I hope you have some gauges to go along with those mods. Need to keep the EGT in-line. Also, watch out for the rear axle, they run hot when you are pulling. Change the lube (Dodge states every 15K) or/and get an aftermarket cover. Even the front (4x4) run hot if you don't have free spin hubs.

SherwoodDavis

2009.Me.&.Her
2008 Dodge 3500

I am frequently towing a 2009 Heartland Cyclone model 3912 with a 2008 Dodge 3500, 6.7, 6-speed auto, 3.73 gears, 4X4, long bed, with absolutely no problems. The truck never ceases to amaze me with how well it handles the camper. I highly reccomend the Dodge in any configuration.........

CTA

Mr. Davis,

Thanks for the information. Since I have not been on the Heartland Forum in sometime, I am not sure what my original post was but I can attest to the reliability and ease at which my '03 Dodge, 3500, Quad Cab, 4x4 with the HO 5.9 Cummins, mated to the 6 speed manual transmission and 3:73 gears has done for me.

When I ordered my truck in '02, Dodge didn't have a decent automatic so I opted for the manual, they now have the German equivalent to the popular Allison transmission found in the GM products because they couldn't offer a reliable automatic either that would take the abuse from their large V8s or their Japanese made Duramax.

I have heard a lot of good things about the new 6 speed automatic now offered in the Dodge and if it is still available when I purchase my next truck, that will be the option I choose this time. :D

Thanks again for the comment, I wish you better RVing with your Heartland product then we have had! :(

Chad T. Anderson
Vermont
<vt.code3@comcast.net>

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Chad
The cummins with a manual 6 speed, why would you want to even think about opt for a automatic. You have the best configuration, stay with the manual, simple design more energy efficient.

Dave
Did you see sherwood's post?

Jellystone

In the process of buying a new Dodge 3500 dually with auto trans. Towing the 3670, is the 373 gears good enough or should I get the 410. I want the best fuel mileage and be able to pull any grade with no problem.
What fuel mileage does everyone get with the two different gears.

Bill
I average around 11.6 mpg w/'09 3500 dually- auto trans-long bed-3.73 - pulling 36' Road Warrior fully loaded w/gear and family.