Does it ever stop? Another problem

GeneF

This morning I got ready to leave my camping spot after four weeks and I noticed that the shore power outlet looked a bit loose. I got the square head screwdriver out and tried to tighten the screws. Well, all the top two did was turn and turn. Finally, I decided to take the whole thing off. The screws were about three inches long BUT they were not really screwed into anything but the fiberglass siding. They completely missed the wood behind the fiberglass. One of the screws will not go into the fiberglass because it was originally screwed in less than 1/32nd of an inch from the edge of the fiberglass. It is worthless. Only one of the four screws really had any firm grip into any wood. I didn't have time to really play with it but put it back in and duct taped it on for safe keeping.

guyc66

This kind of stuff never ceases to amaze me.....there really isn't any excuse for it. I'm sure all RV companies have about the same level of quality control in the manufacturing process so it doesn't matter what product you choose you still get the same garbage. What ever happened to pride in workmanship? Yes, slowing down the build costs more money, but I think most of us who purchase recreational vehicles would be willing to pay a little extra (maybe even a lot more) for a better built RV. I hope someday Heartland takes the lead on this and shows everyone else how to build a quality product without rushing the assembly line. I haven't personally visited the factory, but every video I have watched online of RVs being constructed makes me cringe......it looks like the workers are in a race to see how fast they can get it done! Please, for the love of God.....SLOW DOWN and do it right! Rant over.

happykraut

I would be tempted to put a plate between the plug and the fiberglass. Make a large hole in the center to accommodate the plug and a hole in each corner. If you can't get the wires through, you could make it a two piece plate. Make it a little larger so the screws will go into something solid. First mount the plug onto the plate with oneway rivets. Use a suitable material so it looks nice and round off the corners. Sounds hoakey, but it should work. Good luck.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I know it is frustrating . . .

We had a lot of issues with our Trail Runner (which is a part of the North Trail wing of Heartland), but at least most of our issues were minor compared to some I've read about here in the forums.

It is wonderous that it seems that many people today do not not have any pride in their own workmanship!

Seems to be the new world economy . . .

GeneF

If you have seen some of my other posts about the problems with this rig, you will get more of a picture as to why I am so frustrated with Heartland. There is no reason why I had to have my rig at Campingworld for 9 months ( 3 months and 6 months) for the same problem and again when I get to Florida in September. They do not even care about the anguish, frustration, and stress that poor quality work passes on to the consumer. On two big trips, last year and this year, I have had to worry every time I open the slide and pray that it will open and then close back up. I cancelled my plans to go to Sante Fe and spent a week in Albequeque instead. Dealing with leaks that was simply a washer not put in correctly. This years trip was supposed to be a special one for my wife and I as it may well be our last major trip, four months on the road.. And yes, LEMON is written all across the rear window since I left Nh and came to Deleware. It will remain there all the way to Florida down route 95.

Last edited by a moderator:

Realist

Your rig was sitting for 6 months???
You canceled a trip because of a washer problem???
Sounds more like your frustration should be directed toward Camping World.

Realist

GeneF

Your rig was sitting for 6 months???
You canceled a trip because of a washer problem???
Sounds more like your frustration should be directed toward Camping World.

Realist
Just to clarify. First time I brought the rig to Camping world they had it for three months. Second time, it was for six months. Seems like Heartland kept on sending the wrong parts. That I can believe up to a point. I did not cancel the trip because of the washer, I cancelled Sante Fe because I tried to get the slide problem fixed at La Mesa Rv in Albequegue but that also was a disaster. The water problem was supposed to have been fixed at camping world, they replaced the water hookup. Had water again in Arizona, only rv place was 140 miles away. Problem was a bad washer in the outside shower which we had only used a couple of times. Tech there knew the problem right away. My frustration is with both Heartland and Camping World. Heartland has thrown me to the wolves by saying it is now an adjustment problem and out of warrantee. It has taken outside help for me to get Camping World to take another try when I get back to Florida. It is too bad that this forum is not monitored by Heartland customer service and that they do not try to help unhappy customers out. How many have to reach the frustration level of putting lemon on their rigs to get Heartland to make a better product and be more responsive.

Tallyrver

The term "squeaky wheel" comes to mind. Years ago I had a class A rig in my local CW for an issue with a leveling leg. It had been there for 2 weeks with nothing done to it. I saw a few adds for an upcoming RV sale , I called the sales manager an told him about my issue . I was given the runaround ,service is separate from sales he said ,and he gave me the number for the service dept. I called him back and said I was on the way to his location with a couple hundred flyers stating my experience with the service with CW ,and I was going to hand them out to every customer that drove onto their lot. The general manager called shortly after that,the rig was repaired 3 working days later.:cool:

Wayne

Jim.Allison

I fear having a jackleg dealer mechanic work on my rig, I do all my work myself. I think some of you guys are in a vicious circle of dealer trips, you go in for one thing then you wind up going back for the same thing and another thing that was probably caused by teh previous trip.

Its funny, I do all my work myself, and have not found any major thing going on that I could not fix myself. My warrantee expires this month and my rig has never been back for service. Don't get me wrong, I have made repairs that should have been warranty, but I have not had to buy parts. Most of it is mindless, careless inattention to detail and bad installation. I would encourage everyone to study the problems they are having and seek a solution that does not involve a dealer, especially on a rig that is out of warranty.

One way to get intimate with you rig is to install a Energy Management System (built in surge protector), it really is an easy task, and it comes with simple instructions. This will require you to get behind your basement wall, while you are back there you can examine everything. Adjust what needs adjusting and secure what needs securing. You will also gain some knowledge about your rigs electrical system. You know if something like this is within your capability. Everyone needs an EMS, install one, get behind the basement wall and take a look around. There are things back there that you need to know and understand. Learning in this manner will prevent you from cutting your vacations short for silly little repairs that it takes a dealer 30 days to accomplish. You are smart enough to do the work, but you might need a teen ager to do the actual work. A beer, a burger and a $20 bill goes a long way with a teen, well maybe $40, a burger and a Coke. LOL

caissiel

Same for us, never went back to dealer and did many adjustments that prevented disasters. Most work was done to improve the quality.
I was also amazed at the bad quality of product available at the hardware store.
I build my house 40 years ago and never changed one tap washer and the taps in our unit had to be repaired after 2 years. Bad product is available all over the industry not only in the RV segment.
I always believed in the saying " If there is time to do it the second time there is time to do it right the first time".

whp4262

I fix everything myself too. Sometimes it means buying some tools or equipment but it's still cheaper then going to the dealer and I think the end result is better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

It cost too much money to drag that thing to the dealer. I have not done the math, but a trip to the dealer cost about $50 for me. Short trips like this do not have the benefit of economy of scale. The fuel it takes to go get your rig, then deliver your rig, then pick up your rig, and return home is not spread out over a 1000 mile round trip. So its useless expense and it is expensive. Let alone having to make the trip twice because the problem was not addressed adequately, or because it was incorrectly addressed and or they messed up something else.

I worked on my rig this weekend, and I discovered that my couch had shifted. the slideout was now rubbing harshly on on the couch, fortunately the couch had not shifted enough to block the slideout, that would have been disastrous. But my investigation revealed that the feet of the couch were secured to the floor by what I call plumbers tape (1/2 wide flexible metal with predrilled holes), the installers had secured the feet by installing only one screw to the floor. So the device designed to secure the couch accomplished nothing. I moved the couch into its proper position and ran the screw in myself. Problem solved. I write this so that you know to look at any furniture that is installed in this manner for this problem.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
One thing to keep in mind is that some of us are more dangerous with power tools in our hands than others! :eek:

Put a caulking gun in my hand . . . and I'll get more on me than on the project at hand! :rolleyes:

jimtoo

One thing to keep in mind is that some of us are more dangerous with power tools in our hands than others! :eek:

Put a caulking gun in my hand . . . and I'll get more on me than on the project at hand! :rolleyes:

I thought that was the way it was supposed to be. :)

GeneF

Trailer is now at Camping World in St. Augustine. Heartland customer service said they would do no more and that all the slide now needed is an adjustment and to contact Camping World. Well that would not have been enough without some intervention. I haven't had a chance to pick up the trailer yet, but I was told it was fixed and that they had to put in two larger Teflon strips. Hopefully, this will take care of the problem. Very sorry that Heartland dropped their responsibility in getting this fixed and that I have had almost two years of worry that the slide would not go out or come in. This problem originated at the factory, Camping World in Nashville, where I purchased the tt did not do their job of checking the tt out, and Camping World in St. Augustine failed to solve the problem with having the trailer for about nine months and La Mesa RV also failed to fix the problem. It is not only the money or the change of plans that really bothers me, but the mental anquish of constantly worrying while hundreds and thousands of miles away from home. In my retirement, I had hoped to travel around the country in a peaceful manner, however Heartlands poor quality control has not made this possible along with Camping World and La Mesa's sloppy work. Two major trips with nothing but worry. So perhaps, the slide is finally fixed properly but I will never believe that Heartland builds a quality trailer or that Heartland stays with a customer until the problem is resolved. This did not happen over a four week period. I was on the road for four months wondering if that slide would work.

Last edited:

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
While I feel for you and the issues you are having, I have to wonder if owning an RV is a good fit for you. I believe there are two main types of RV owners, those who like to do it themselves, and those who don't have a clue how to fix anything. Sure there are some in between folks too. It is my opinion that if you are not somewhat handy, owning an RV is not something you should take on. If the little things that break on your rig frustrate you this much, well I will just say I feel for you. Maybe I dont know your whole story but you spent 4 weeks camping! In those 4 weeks that was all that went "wrong"? I consider that a successful trip and I hope you enjoyed being where ever you were. Well you must have, you were there for 4 weeks!

GeneF

While I feel for you and the issues you are having, I have to wonder if owning an RV is a good fit for you. I believe there are two main types of RV owners, those who like to do it themselves, and those who don't have a clue how to fix anything. Sure there are some in between folks too. It is my opinion that if you are not somewhat handy, owning an RV is not something you should take on. If the little things that break on your rig frustrate you this much, well I will just say I feel for you. Maybe I dont know your whole story but you spent 4 weeks camping! In those 4 weeks that was all that went "wrong"? I consider that a successful trip and I hope you enjoyed being where ever you were. Well you must have, you were there for 4 weeks!
Yes, I am not capable of fixing some things on the trailer and may not be that handy but I can do some repairs. Fixing this slide is not a one man job and if you do not have the technical knowledge, I doubt that you could fix it. It has taken trained mechanics four tries. Could you have taken the entire front off of the trailer and replaced it with a new one? Repairing the shore power plug, I have no clue how you can screw something in in thin air when the holes were drilled way out of alignment. This trailer was under warrantee and my feeling is that if it is covered by warrantee, then the manufacturer should take care of the problem. If I mess around and it isn't right, then there goes my warrantee. As for my not be being the right kind of person to own an RV, I beg to differ. Over the past 26 years, I have owned a tent trailer, four popups, a hybrid and this is my second 30 foot trailer. I don't know how many miles I have covered over the years but last year our trip was 7000 miles and this year it was 14000. We have been in 49 states. My problem is the frustration of buying a so called quality product the seems to have something wrong with it every time I go on a camping trip. Try enjoying retirement when you never know if the slide will come in or go out when you are many miles from the nearest RV dealer or repair shop. Yes, the big and little things have frustrated me with this rig. Especially when many were supposed to have been adjusted or repaired by a qualified technician. I can turn a screw to tighten something up, but I cannot align a door that has been jammed into place, I can tighten plumbing fixtures that leak,
I can hammer nails back into the chairs that they are popping out of, I can repair a broken door hindge and perform routine maintenance. I can put a screw that mysteriously shows up in a jar so that if I ever discover where it came from, I can put it back. I can replace the exhaust flapper when it broke, I can replace the fresh water tank inlet when it was broken, but not the slide. Our trip was not 4 weeks but 4 months and it was not a pleasure always worrying whether the slide would come in or go out, especially when you are not near any repair shops. I had a problem with a leak and the nearest repair shop was 148 miles from me. I had to chuckle at your comment that basically says that if this was all that happened in 4 weeks, it wasn't much and you would consider it a successful trip. What do you consider an unsuccessful trip?

Last edited:

Jim.Allison

Increase your capability, by planning, study, more planning, more study and execution of well thought out plan. $50, BBQ and a few beers and a promise of a fishing trip will bring a lot of help over to assist you. Look around, there are methods to achieve repairs that have passion poured into the proper fix, rather than a half azzd effort designed to take your money. You must pursue to effect.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
This morning I got ready to leave my camping spot after four weeks and I noticed that the shore power outlet looked a bit loose.

Like I said, maybe I do not know your entire story but that quote is what you started THIS thread with. So yes, if you camped out for 4 weeks and you only had the one issue I do consider that a good trip. I am certain nothing I can say will alleviate your worry but I don't understand it. You went out on your trip with a known issue and are now safely home? I am glad for that. For what it is worth, you are pulling around a bouncing vibrating swaying second home. If all you are worried about is the slide operation I still think you are doing good. Rving is supposed to be enjoyable and I hope you can get back to that soon. I can give you instructions on how to fix your plug in if you like.