Dog ride in trailer?

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
well I mean I guess I could put the kids in the trailer?! Then the dogs would be up front!:rolleyes:

Seriously tho, Two dogs over 100lbs, 2 adults, and 2 kids in booster seats. There is no room up front for all of us.

What about the dogs when the outside temps exceeds 100 degrees?

Honestly, I'd leave mine a home or kennel them for a couple of days. I'm not sure what the Highway Patrols reaction would be if you were pulled over. I don't think they could say much about the dogs being in crates in the back of the truck...but, they might have something to say about them being locked in an RV, in the summer heat and not being in your direct sight.

wyleyrabbit

Lefty,

Well, I suppose this is where common sense has to come in. I put our dog in the back of the truck, in her crate, in 10 degrees C (about 50 F) for the 20+ min ride to the local campground.

On a longer trip during the summer, I could only think that we would put her in the trailer (that would have a lower temperature than the back of the truck in the summer, especially if it's sunny) and would put a spill-proof bowl in with her, AND stop at rest stops for regular walks. Not much else we can do.

Chris

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Lefty,

Well, I suppose this is where common sense has to come in. I put our dog in the back of the truck, in her crate, in 10 degrees C (about 50 F) for the 20+ min ride to the local campground.

Chris

I understand...and we are talking Highway Patrol not common sense. There are some situations that I prefer not to put myself into. Cause no matter which direction I go, I'm gonna be wrong. No matter how strongly you feel about your animals, sometimes you have to make a hard decision on them. It's easy for me to say, I've got an extended cab with 3 seats, even with my wheelchair in the back. So, I've got a place for all my animals. Others with kids, ain't got the luxury. But, you need to look into what the boys in blue have to say about it.

Friend of mine got pulled over the other day so that the HP could verify that the mother was feeding the child from a plastic, not glass, bottle. If it can be stupid, inane, and a royal pain in the patoot, the TDPS can fill the bill. I won't even go into the hassle I got about not having stickers on my license plates here...my truck is registered in Texas...no stickers on plates, not in years. Everything is on the windshield.

The Virginia Department of Public Safety didn't know. The clown wanted to give me a ticket!

Best of luck to ya.

dancer

egnor's much better half
it doesnt get 100 in michigan. like 90 at the very hottest and we're talking the goshen trip. we dont have any others planned. the way our hitch is there is no room in the back of the truck for dog cages.

wyleyrabbit

Heh. Well I guess that's another reason I should be happy I have the long box. :)

That said, parking it in the city is a hassle. Oh well, trade-offs.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
When we went to Branson last year I had to put our dogs in the trailer in crates one rode well the other broke out and slept on our bed till we got there anyway that was where he was when I opened the door. They were fine but would have rather been in the truck with us. Some times it just has to be that way.---Kathy

katkens

kathy, put kenny n the trailer and the dogs up front...

tell him I said so...:D

I thought about it but he's my driver , we had taken our grandson with us and to many dogs. We put 2 dogs in trailer and 1 in back seat with grandson. Kenny is still chuckling , little things that make him laugh....Kathy

jpmorgan37

Golly, we don't have that problem. My bride has the Brandy with her in the car and follows me where ever I go. Dog is happy because she's with mom, Dad is happy because momma's happy and everybody is comfortable. Long trips, short trips, it's all the same. Our next one will be from Washington state to Georgia. I wouldn't put my wife or my dog in the trailer for any trip, long or short. Just my opinion.

John

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Stacey, I also told Kathy to put kenny outside at night and bring the pups inside. Don't know if she did or not. Bob:D:D:D

dancer

egnor's much better half
IM SURPRISED SHE DOESNT JUST MAKE HIM A KENNEL? I MEAN I HEARD HE ALREADY HAD A WARNING SIGN ON THE FRONT DOOR NEXT TO THE BEWARE OF LITTLEDOGS SIGN...None:D

katkens

Stacey, I also told Kathy to put kenny outside at night and bring the pups inside. Don't know if she did or not. Bob:D:D:D

It's a good thing Kathy never believes anything you say or i probably would be sleeping with the critters.

Thought maybe you would enjoy a picture of Stacey having a bit of refreshment at the local CG.

squirrelbeer.jpg

truknutt

Committed Member
Uh, Oh ! I get the feeling "IT'S ON!" :eek::D

Looks like there may be some added entertainment at the Rally in June!!

dancer

egnor's much better half
None I only retaliate I never instigateNone

(holding breath) ....(eyes rolling,.. is he buying it?):D

OwensMom

We travel with our 2 Border Collies in the back seat of our king cab pickup. When we bought the truck that back seat was a priority. I worry that during an accident they could be trapped under debris. Happy Trails, Lynn

donr827

We travel with our Bicheon in the back seat area of our crew cab. She is crate trained and her crate fits perfectly in the rear seat area. She actually sleeps the whole time we are driving.
Don

porthole

Retired
We have a crew cab. So for now the rear seats get folded down, the custom made pad goes on the the now flat floor and two Golden's and a pet carrier with the bird ride with us. But - that doesn't mean that we will never not try the in the trailer method. We aren't riding with human passengers with the camper so it is not an issue, but that could change.

We will be giving it a "human" test drive in the trailer to see how it is for the ride.

porthole

Retired
Friend of mine got pulled over the other day so that the HP could verify that the mother was feeding the child from a plastic, not glass, bottle.

Since when does the highway patrol have a right to even check that?

It wasn't until just recently that you couldn't be pulled over for not wearing a seat belt.

Maybe some people feel that feeding from plastic is not the way to go.

There is a lot of hoopla out there now about all the bottled water bottles possibly causing cancer ....................

It never ends.