Dog ride in trailer?

SilverRhino

All three of my Beagles ride in the truck cab with us......each has their own harness....connected to a seat belt. If anything happens I would not want my dogs "flying around" loose.....in the truck ...or...the trailer.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
My navigator usually rides in the rear seat, keeping close tabs on me! :D

//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=4952&stc=1&d=1251388535

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    332.8 KB · Views: 490

Oldlthrneck

Just an Old Jarhead
According to the Towing World chart on Towing Laws it is legal, in 20 states, for people to ride in the back of a fifth wheel. Not that I would do it, but if it is legal for people, I don't see why the law would object to pets being in there. I have stopped to use the bathroom and left a bottle of water on the counter and found it still sitting in the same place 200 miles down the road. I don't see where the ride is so bad. As far as them being injured in an accident. They're just as likely to be injured in the truck bed or cab, if there is an accident. The only issue I would have, if I currently owned a pet, would be the heat in these extreme SW summers. We plan on getting a pet, sometime in the future, and it will more than likely ride in the truck with us. There is only the two of us, so we have that luxury. If we had kids and were full up, in the truck, I would have no qualms with having the pet ride in the trailer. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just because one wouldn't do it doesn't make the one that does a bad pet owner.
Just my humble opinion on the subject.
Fred

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

monk8860

Presently have a 1999 F-350 Crewcab and am purchasing a 3300QS. Back seat does not fold down and I'm looking for a way to modify rear seat to accommodate our 2 greyhounds and 1 smaller dog..Any Ideas?? MONK

Presently have a 1999 F-350 Crewcab and am purchasing a 3300QS. Back seat does not fold down and I'm looking for a way to modify rear seat to accommodate our 2 greyhounds and 1 smaller dog..Any Ideas?? MONK

I also have a 99 (not my TV) but I do carry my dog everywhere. I just took the back seat out. Works very well, If you don't need the seating room.

landp

I dont put my dog in the trailer, although it could happen, the cat rides in the trailer. We have tried the truck but as soon as we start driving, it poo's and we have to clean it out. it then starts to scream in that very louad cat voice. I have toyhauler so we open the back vents and it keeps the trailer coolish, I do a temp check when we stop. If it were to get too hot we would move it into the truck.

Delaine and Lindy

All of our Cars and Trucks were bought with our furr Kid "Montana" in mind. They have to be big enough for Montana to have a place to ride. We researched the Smart Car before we began double towing but it wasn't large enough for Montana to have room when we were in the Smart Car. So we bought a Chevy HHR and I got a Chevy C/C so Montana has plenty of room. Montana would never be allowed to ride in the 5th wheel, the 5er isn't designed for a human or a furr kid to ride in while towing. Montana rides in the Freightliner just as we do. But its a choice you have to make........... GBY...

wdk450

Gang:
Not to change the thread too much, we have a cat that is miserable to ride with. She meows loudly and constantly while she is in the truck with us. We tried all sorts of remedies including tranquilzers, and nothing shuts her up. So, she rides in the trailer.
We have a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer from WalMart we normally use while staying in the trailer with the outdoor sender mounted on the generator compartment outside door. When we travel, I unsnap the sender from the outside, put it in the cat's cage, and put the receiver display in the truck. Then we know in the truck just what the temperature is in the cat's crate in the trailer, as we roll down the road. So far, the cat has done pretty well on our trips, and settles in when we setup in a campground. She just hates travelling (and being in the crate).

goodtruck

Not having large dogs (4 Chi's) we use a doggie hammoc that fits on the headrest on the back of both seats.so that they have a secure ride without having to be in our laps or tied to something.so far it has worked well for us.

kseagle

Our two labs also ride in the truck with us (Dodge 2500 extended cab). We use a doggie hammock along with a quilted blanket for comfort. The hammock keeps the dogs from falling on the floor in a sudden stop. However, we have a terrible time of cleaning up the dog hair. It seems to imbed itself in the cloth seats and won't vacuum out easily. We've tried pet hair remover products with limited success. Anyone had experience with a well fitting back seat cover? If so, what brand? We're thinking of covering the seat as well as using the hammock. Thanks....

Kevin and Henny White

Past California-Central Chapter Leaders
Check doc fosters magazine they have lots of stuff to protect your seats. we have the dog sheep skin seat covers and then the sheep skin dog hammock. It protects them from falling if you have to come to a quick stop. we have F-350 four door and it works like a dream.

porthole

Retired
Since this has turned into dogs and cats - Our cat while in the truck was kept in a cat carrier. But, It seemed being in the covered "box" was too much like his covered cat box at home. He urinated each time we put him in there - and cat pee stinks! Letting loose in the truck has it own issues - and then there is the cat cry.

We tried leaving him in the trailer and he seems to do very well in there. He eats, drinks, uses the cat box and at times sleeps in the sink. When at the campgrounds he sleeps on a pillow next to the bedroom window, I'm guessing he still hasn't figured out why there is no view out the same window when traveling.

Deb has stayed in the trailer with him and she says he does great, moving around like we are parked.

mountain1

I have a toy hauler and haul five or six dogs in crates back there. We have Matiffs and Australian Shepherds. Run the generator and one of those ACs that has the small vent. I do not consider this any more dangerous than when I hauled them in the back of a van. If something hits eather vehicle in the rear then bad news.
Peopel have hauled horses for years and it ahs worked.
I show my dogs and do various performance events and hauling this way has thus far not created a problem. i have the crates very secure.

Northern Virginia
I was thinking about this very thread when we were at the Virginia Horse Center in Lexington, Va two weeks ago. Great point about the horse trailers! As long as there is proper ventilation and the animals are secure, not much difference.

ParkIt

Since this has turned into dogs and cats - Our cat while in the truck was kept in a cat carrier. But, It seemed being in the covered "box" was too much like his covered cat box at home. He urinated each time we put him in there - and cat pee stinks! Letting loose in the truck has it own issues - and then there is the cat cry.

We tried leaving him in the trailer and he seems to do very well in there. He eats, drinks, uses the cat box and at times sleeps in the sink. When at the campgrounds he sleeps on a pillow next to the bedroom window, I'm guessing he still hasn't figured out why there is no view out the same window when traveling.
Deb has stayed in the trailer with him and she says he does great, moving around like we are parked.

Dangabbit porthole - you just made me choke on my tea from a sudden burst of laughter!
Then I kept cracking up thinking "what if we let all 3 cats ride in the trailer?" and I know:
Gabby would be stuck to the ceiling
Frass would look at us like "well, that wasn't interesting, yawn"
and ShuShu would be stuck in the smallest hole/space possible we'd never imagined she could fit into.
I've only had one kitty that loved to ride with me in the MH but he was a baby when he started so all 40' was his playground/nap/bug the mommy space. These 3 girls are rescues, never go outdoors and hate the 10 minute trip to the vets.

Since we are planning 6 month stints we already thought this logistic out and there is also Rocko & Ubu to think about as well. While the boys would ride in the Jeep following the trailer, they are used to it aside from "how come we haven't stopped at a park to play ball?" and the cats will be flown in via an airline that costs extra to transport our precious (when they are asleep) kitties. Yes, I'm cheap but the cost to fly them is worth my sanity ;)

Don't have anything (yet) for frequent moves but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

Northern Virginia
Today, for the first time, we let the dogs stay in the camper on the return trip home. We monitored the temperatures with out remote thermometer. The dogs seemed very happy when we got home. Everyone in the back seat was happier too. I think we will start doing this from now on.

John

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
When we take our two cats to the rig at the seasonal site, we ride them in the truck in their carriers. It's a three hour ride. These two don't mess the carriers, but they do "sing" for a few miles. Eventually, they shut up until we hit a bump or rough road. We've had previous cats that would dump in the carrier before I got to the end of the driveway going to the vet around the corner. Never knew something so small could smell so big.