Dometic AC issues on 2014 key largo

MIKEGELLO

Hello all
So my key largo is just over 2 years old. 2 weeks ago just before vacation I had to replace living room AC unit, thought that was bad enough!! I'm now on vacation and the bedroom one quit in the middle of the night. Heard a pop and it tripped the breaker. Smelled like the start up capacitor blew. I got to tell you I'm not to happy with dometic right now and the wife is flying off the handle!! Come on dometic what the **** is going on!! Not a happy camper!!! Not to mention the cost of these high performance units is not cheap. Now I got to hope the onsite repair can get parts fast for these units. The first unit lost all its freon and this one sounds like a bad compressor. Anyone have any issues with theirs??

Mike

danemayer

Hi MikeGello,

I think several others have reported loss of freon recently. Given that this is your 2nd unit failing on this trailer, I'd give Dometic a call and see if they'll replace this one as a goodwill gesture.

My bedroom ac lost all of its freon on our second trip with our new camper. Dometic replaced the unit under warranty now my main unit isn't cooling and my Dometic power awning won't move it just clicks. I am not real impressed with dometic products either. Luckily I am still covered by the manufacturer warranty.

MIKEGELLO

Ok folks
So after having a mobile rv service look at AC unit they found nothing. Ran for 2 more days and tripped the breaker last night. So like they say... Fix it yourself. Started at the breaker and tighten screws and looked at all the wires, nothing found there. I'll cut to the chase. The power quick connect on the other side of the condenser was lying in water. So who's fault is it? Id like to say heartland but dometic should not have put a quick connect right in the path of water!! I'll try to upload photos shortly. Thanks for all the replies!!
Mike

danemayer

Glad to hear you got it figured out and thanks for circling back around to share. It may help someone else down the road.

MIKEGELLO

Hi Danemayer
My pleasure!! Might be worth it for everyone to take 20 minutes and check theirs as well. Could save a lot of aggravation and protection fire if the breaker were not have tripped!

MIKEGELLO

Ok here we go again!! E1 code now. Found dirt and corrosion in the quick connect for the thermostat wiring. I still can't believe dometic would run all these wires with quick disconnects in front of the condenser. Just a side note, when I recently replace the living room unit I had a issue with the thermostat wiring. The wire must have broke in the covering. I cut both ends of and crimped the wires directly together. It's just telephone wire. This is how I knew what to look for in this unit with a E1 code.

jbeletti

I passed this up to the plant where Engineering and Production met on it. Going forward, greater care will be taken to fasten the wiring/conectors to prevent connections from sitting where water pools. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

MIKEGELLO

Thanks for the concern. Truthfully dometic should not have any quick connects in the area of the evaporator to begin with. Sorry I kept saying condenser. All connections should be on side of unit!!
Thanks again for the concern.
Mike.

camr

Our bedroom Dometic HP lasted less than 6 months. Full timing in Victoria, BC you can imagine how little the unit has been run since delivery in January. The repair tech advised me that in his opinion the newer Dometic units are built to fail. He mentioned light gauge refrigeration tubing amongst other things. My decision to purchase an extended warranty was based on the lift system. It may possibly pay me back with HP repairs, based on my experience so far.
On a side note, the Carrier units on our previous coach ran day and night in the southern U.S. without missing a beat. Sadly, they are no longer in the RV market.

MIKEGELLO

Camr
Thank god I bought the Good Sams extended warranty!! They were great in my reimbursement of my first AC unit. Just sad there's no quality anymore!!