Dometic AC not running.

Puzzled_1

2017 Torque XLT T32, 50 AMP 2 AC's, appears one (main) is "ducted" and one (garage) isn't. Brisk 2 B59516.711JO

The main AC will click on with the thermostat. Sometimes it will run as it is suppose to. Sometimes it will run for awhile than stop blowing cold air than it starts humming, eventually poping the breaker. Sounds like the compressor shuts down than the fan stops. Lately when the thermostat is calling for air it just hums and that's it.

SO... not being the person to leave anything alone I started checking things out. Since I have two units I have test parts! Simple test was the capacitor, easy swap. The AC fired up and ran for about 5 minutes than the compressor shut off and started humming. The motor turns freely by hand when the thermostat isn't calling for air. When the thermostat is calling for air and I hear the humming it is the motor not turning. I can rotate the motor by hand however it won't continue on its own. Since I'm not an AC guy I'm a little lost as to the sequence of what makes what work.

Yes the camper and AC is under warranty. I fear how long a dealer will hold my camper captive. I dread the wait time for parts. I'll spend a few pennies to fix this myself if I can and not have my camper spend more time at the dealers than on the road.

What do I start testing and how? Meter is no problem. I don't have gauges for whatever Freon type is in the system however I can come up with a set.

Last edited:

wdk450

It sounds to me like your blower motor stops working. This causes a lack of heat exchange airflow in the evaporator and condenser coils, which will cause the compressor to overwork and shut down. I had this happen with my home rooftop unit condenser fan motor.

The fan motor can turn freely and still not work fulltime under power. It may have an intermittent internal or external electrical connection, or maybe the relay driving it is flaky. If I had a unit to swap parts with, I would probably start with the blower motor, then maybe the electric control box. You might just put the unit in FAN mode, and see if the fan keeps running continuously for a while to test the fan motor without the AC compressor.

Puzzled_1

That sounds plausible to me.

I did a search and was able to come up with a motor part number.

I'll call Dometic, Heartland and the closest dealer to me tomorrow morning.

Worse case scenario I'll buy a motor.

Puzzled_1

Called Dometic, no tech per say however listened to me and agrees it sounds like a motor. Ordered a motor on my dime. I'll have it in a few days.

Called Heartland, great service rep. Went through everything with him. They are sending me a warranty claim form. If all is good I'll end up with a second motor which I'm ok with. I could have asked about reimbursement however the cost isn't much at all and spare parts are a good thing.

Hit the internet last night and ordered hard start capacitors for both AC units.

Puzzled_1

New motor will be here tomorrow, two days from phone call to arrival.

Warranty claim, still waiting to hear back.

This is why I just ordered a new motor outright. I suspect I'll have the motor installed and hopefully the AC running before my warranty claim gets moving....

Hard start Supco capacitors will be here today.

Puzzled_1

Heartland emailed me to let me know that they submitted a claim with Dometic.

Lets see how long this all takes.

It is definitely different than the field I'm in. My manufacture would have warrantied the part on the spot than they would take it to the vendor. I think it is odd that the vendor is doing the warranty not the manufacture. I didn't buy my camper from Dometic....

New motor will be here today. I'll have it installed this evening. I'm hoping that will do the trick. I'll install the hard start capacitors while I'm up there.

danemayer

Heartland emailed me to let me know that they submitted a claim with Dometic.

Lets see how long this all takes.

It is definitely different than the field I'm in. My manufacture would have warrantied the part on the spot than they would take it to the vendor. I think it is odd that the vendor is doing the warranty not the manufacture. I didn't buy my camper from Dometic....

New motor will be here today. I'll have it installed this evening. I'm hoping that will do the trick. I'll install the hard start capacitors while I'm up there.

Your trailer manual has a warranty statement that should clear things up for you on who covers what under warranty. No it's not like automobiles or some other industries. It's more like a sticks-and-bricks home where the builder warrants what he builds and directs you to the appliance manufacturer for warranty on the items he didn't build. That's just the way the RV industry grew up.

Puzzled_1

Your trailer manual has a warranty statement that should clear things up for you on who covers what under warranty. No it's not like automobiles or some other industries. It's more like a sticks-and-bricks home where the builder warrants what he builds and directs you to the appliance manufacturer for warranty on the items he didn't build. That's just the way the RV industry grew up.

That's ok, just unusual. I'm not much of a warranty person to start with so this is something I'll have to get use to.