Dometic Recall

jbeletti

Van,

You assume too much. I am trying to help but I will not make up an answer to tell you what you want to hear. No answer back to you from Heartland should be construed as we do not know. I certainly do not know as I don't work at the plant. I have been unable to find out anymore.

This leaves you where you already were. A dealer telling you it was done and no one else able to confirm it. This is Dometic's recall. If it were me wanting that confirmation as you do, I would surely want it from the recaller - Dometic.

I understand what you want. I believe you understand I don't have the answer. On these points, I feel we agree.

Please circle back here after you ask Dometic to review your pictures so we all know how this turns out for you. We all want the same thing - for you to know the recall has been done and for you to take comfort in that.

Thanks,

Jim

Forrest Fetherolf

Jim,
I will assume from your response and position that Heartland either did not perform any of the repairs during construction or they do not support what they did. Hopefully some day Dometic can tell me what Heartland did.
Thanks for your support.

Heartland does not make repairs on product recalls such as refrig, stoves, micros, or A/C. My opinion that would be bad judgement on their behalf creating additional liability. The recall was on a series of Dometic refrigs, not all, and not on just in Heartland RVs. Send the photos to Dometic, they should be able to confirm if the fix was done or not. Jim B was correct doing what he did.

Forrest

Uncle Rog

I did not read the problem corectly, the web site confirmed that our unit needs to be fixed. I never received any thing from Dometic or HL..........

Forrest Fetherolf

Overview: On August 28, 2006, Dometic Corporation announced a voluntary recall of over 900,000 refrigerators manufactured between April 1997 and May 2003. The recall addresses a potential hazard that may result from the operation of refrigerators installed in recreational vehicles as original equipment or aftermarket equipment.

The Problem: A fatigue crack may develop in the boiler tube of the affected refrigerator allowing pressurized coolant solution to discharge into an area where an ignition source (gas flame) is present. Under certain conditions, the coolant could ignite, resulting in a vehicle fire.

Remedy: The Rework Kit Dometic has developed two versions of a “rework kit” for this potential defect, one for use with two-way refrigerators (model numbers ending in “2”) and one for three-way refrigerators (model numbers ending in “3”). The contents of each kit includes:a secondary burner housing, replacement fuses, and an installation guide.

Installation of the kit prevents a fire from developing outside the burner area of the refrigerator. The work effort to install the kit is approximately 30 minutes.
To ensure that the correct rework kit is available for installation, please schedule an appointment.

Note Rework kits are designed to address a potential safety hazard in a select group of Dometic refrigerators. Installation of a rework kit should not be interpreted as a replacement for regularly scheduled maintenance or service of a Dometic refrigerator. To discuss maintenance or service of a Dometic refrigerator, contact the Service Center.

Complete Recall article.

Forrest

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
I would not assume it was done at the factory. The recall was sent to us approx. 2 years after Van's unit was built. Unless another dealer performed the recall along the way, I think it is safe to say it was not done by Heartland RV.

vangoes

Thanks FennerJ.....thats all I was looking for. Needless to say I guess I need to find another service center if Dometic cant determine if it was retrofitted or not.

fhollan

Dometic and Clear Creek RV Center

Forrest: Earlier today after noticing the Dometic recall ad in the November Trailer Life, I went to their site and entered my information and the reply was that mine was affected. Earlier this year I had the kit installed so I'm in compliance.

Now you had this recall site in your post. So I entered the same required information and the reply was that the refrig was not affected. That doesn't make sense. Anyway, mine is in compliance. This is just for your info.

jbeletti

Looks like Clear Creek RV has not yet updated their site to include the 08E-032 recall. Theirs appears to only include the 06E-076 recall.

Good eye on that.

Jim

Uncle Rog

I had a mobile RV guy do the install on my unit this morning, pretty simple really. The kit consists of a stand off plate below the burner stack, two pieces of sheet metal against the box behind the stack with a mount to hold the new over temp sensor wires, another piece that screws into the rear section and wraps around the stack between the wall, and the last piece in the front of the stack screws into the wrap around piece and the top of the stand off plate. All it does is isolate the heating area so that in case of a fire it would not spread. The problem usually occurs when the unit is used way out of level............

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I received notice of the recall in the mail last summer, direct from Dometic (this was on the 2006 MY TT we traded in last month for the BH3670). After checking the model/serial number online, I called Dometic, got a registration number and found an authorized repair facility in northern Michigan, where the trailer was located. The facility did the recall work at the campground, along with replacing the awning that got destroyed by a heavy cloudburst. I had called them prior to the awning problem to schedule bringing the trailer to them for the recall, but when I called about the awning, they noticed my appointment and said they'd do both onsite.
Guess it pays to send in those little registration cards.

Shadowchek

On our Last trip to the coast a Repair man was comming around checking for people that neeeded the recall work done. He said they are continally updating and adding more numbers to the list. So if you haven't checked it lately you probably should. Ours was not on the current list. He said that they are all built the same so we will probably be added sooner or later. He didn't do the work because they wouldn't pay him to do it but he gave me a kit so I could do it myself if I wanted. I am a Hvac contractor and do a lot of furnace recall work which can be similar. Just keep checking for your number to come up. We don't want your rig to burn down.

Greg

Netem

And here I thought my 08 was safe. I had to have my 2000 5ver fixed, you would think they would have this problem under control by now.