Don't be Cary

crussian

Here is Cary's water heater rod.
Cary is lazy on RV maintenance.
Don't be like Cary.

20170318_201838.jpg20170318_201830.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

sengli

Boy, I dont know, if I would rush out to replace that. There is a little left on the rod there, it could go a while longer! NOT!

wdk450

I hate to say that when I FINALLY serviced my water heater this year, just the bare rod was left. I suspect I had stayed in areas with acidic water. I last serviced the water heater about 2 years ago, and then the anode was in good shape although it had been about 2 years since the service before that.

crussian

Okay, replaced the anode rod, hot watwe on 12V/LP. Went to change out heating element, 110V, i didnt have the right sized socket. Went to my local RV repair shop, and bingo, they sold a socket (large one) specifically for the heater core. Will install new core this evening. Its been a learning journey. I have a feeling I'm not done either.

C&J

mlpeloquin

You have a Suburban. Well so do I, and my being new to fifth wheels when I purchased my Big Horn, I noticed a plastic plug on ours. I asked the tech while going through the PDI if it needed an anode rode. He said never with this water heater. I can tell you that a Suburban tank lasts two and a half years without one. Now you do not have to ask me why I know!

Piperflyer

I have a Suburban water heater and they recommend changing the anode every 12 months. I just did mine after 11 months on the road and it was a good thing I did.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I have a Suburban water heater and they recommend changing the anode every 12 months. I just did mine after 11 months on the road and it was a good thing I did.

Hmmm? Everything I was ever told/read on water heaters, residential or RV, concerning the sacrificial anode was that if there is something other than the bare core rod it's still doing its' thing. Now Cary's is going a bit far I'll agree.

Up to this point I have always had to winterize my rig and pulling the anode was part of the process, so I got to see it every winter. The condition of the water put through the water heater is going to dictate how long the anode will last for sure. I'll have to watch mine closer as we will be traveling this fall and it won't get it's normal inspection unless I make it a point to pull it at some point.

crussian

Wasnt able to hook up city water last night after work. Honey do's were first priority. Probably fill up water tank as well. Will attempt later today.

C&J

crussian

Okat, heater core installed, CMD Center switch on, 120V switch on and red. Gave it an hour. Nada. Fuse okay, no other water taps are on, inside or out. Maybe a bad breaker?

C&J

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
So you have no hot water? Have you tried LP?
Rather than throw parts at it you need to do a little trouble shooting using a multimeter.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Have we addressed the 120V Hi-Limit switch under the rubber cover yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crussian

Understand about troubleshooting. I have never used a voltmeter. I probably should invest in one quickly. I had gone through the Troubleshooting guide but didn't see anything that reached out and grabbed me as being wrong. Will let you know what happens next.

C&J

- - - Updated - - -

Have we addressed the 120V Hi-Limit switch under the rubber cover yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did take the cover off and replaced the 110V side. 12V works fine.

C&J

Apropdoc

Utah Chapter Leaders-retired
Just a thought, did you fill the WH and purge the air in the tank with the over-pressure relief?

crussian

Ran all the hot sided faucets until water came out before i turned on the 110V side. Multimeter is next.

CDN

B and B
HD or Lower also sells a wrench for removal. Even though I carry deep sockets the wrench works better for removal.