Double Pane -- good idea?

Harry1

I too was told approx. 400 lbs. I did not order the double pane because of the low R value and added weight. We did order the Yeti package and have been in Michigan in the low teens. We have not had any problems, however we have added a 75 watt lamp in the UDC area and a 100 watt lamp over the water pump for those low temp nights if needed. Will the windows show condensation? Yes if you don't vent or crack a window from time to time. The air you breath and using your stove will build moisture in any RV, double pane windows or not. We do close our MCD shades at night and that helps as well. As you have read in the posts, those that have them love them. Are they a must have, no. If you can handle the added weight and cost for the value, go for it.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I would go and change the order. YOU will be happy with them if you spend time in Michigan in the cold. You will be kicking yourself in the rear if you do not get them. They are too expensive to add later.

AAdams

We had them on our '09 Landmark. We ordered our RW390 with them. I haven't had a problem with the seals leaking or sweating. Sorry, I don't remember how much they were since I just gave them a list of what I wanted they added it up and we negotiated a package price. They help with the heating / cooling loss and it really helps with the sound.

Jim.Allison

R-Value might not be that good, but anything helps when running propane, its not a money issue but rather a refill issue, anything that cuts the number of trips for propane is a plus. The real reason you want them is to hold down condensation on the inside of the rig. condensation is a RV killer, AND the last and foremost reason is noise abatement, yapping dogs and generators become difficult to hear in double pane window unit, you have not lived until someone leaves their little yapper in their RV and leaves for a day long jaunt, it will be then that you wished that you had double pane.

SeattleLion

We have single pane windows and have had no condensation in our application. Noise has not been a problem either. Of course, most of our stops are at state parks that tend to separate the sites more and enforce rules. I like the idea of double pane windows, but not enough to pass up a good deal.

Jim.Allison

Condensation is easier to manage in the larger rigs, extreme cold with people inside and cooking are the main contributors. One should always look for condensation damage near the windows when looking at used rigs. But people who use ventilation properly should not have this problem, it is a self inflicted injury for sure. But like I said, sound abatement is a plus. You have to add up all the benefits of them to justify buying them, they are a big ticket item.

We have single pane windows and have had no condensation in our application. Noise has not been a problem either. Of course, most of our stops are at state parks that tend to separate the sites more and enforce rules. I like the idea of double pane windows, but not enough to pass up a good deal.

caissiel

We winter in Florida and in the north it gets down to 0deg F. Our windows never sweat while every one here complain about moisture. Now that south gets some colder days we enjoy our dual pane. Will never have an other unit without. Previous unit had none and we had to use foam in the windows and lost all the heat from the sunshine.
Glass has hardly any R value anyway. Its best at absorbing heat from the sun on the south side.

KAB

We just purchased a 2015 Cyclone 3800. My wife is very light sleeper. We took it to Pechanga RV resort and the people next to us were outside at 6 with a crying infant. We could hear everything since our heads sleep in the slide out and there camp was right there. So, we're going to put Dual Pane Windows in the bedroom, 2 in the slide out, one above the dresser, and one in the hallway leading to the bedroom. It's worth trying to help the wife sleep. I'll give you some feedback in a few months if it made any difference at all. I know the walls on the slide out are razor thin so I'm sure we'll still get some noise. We mostly go to the desert in So Cal with it so the cold winter thing doesn't apply for us so much. Mainly noise insulation.

buddyboy

We love ours. Been in single digit to triple digit temps and know they helped to heat and cool the rig. Can't validate noise reduction, but sure they're effective for that too.

KAB

Oh yes, been using ear plugs for a few years now. We previously had an Eclipse lightweight toy hauler, ultra thin and light, you could hear everything. The Cyclone is quieter for sure. If we can keep most of the noise out without ear plugs that is idea as ear plugs can also amplify noise inside your head. They work and we use them. I've learned after 25 years of marriage, Happy wife happy life. So, it's worth the investment for me. Lol.

Birchwood

You will have moisture on the inside windows during cool weather unless they are dual pane.We have dual on our 09 Landmark and just noticed last month a little fogging on the inside of one of the panes but then clears up.If you are a weekend camper in the summer I wouldn't worry about dual panes but if you are a more serious RVer buy them