Drain it

RoadJunkie

I unscrew the anode rod and let it drain. If you want faster results, lift up on the lever for the overpressure valve to allow a vent source.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Depending on the brand of your water heater you may have the anode rod that Len described or you may have a plastic plug.
Since water goes to the lowest point look near the lower edge on the outside of your water heater.

Peace
Dave

ClarksLaw

Finally found instruction manual for the water heater. It's an Atwood. Could be either a 4-E or 10-E or neither. Pulled open the panel and it looks alot different from the manual illustrations. Only thing I see that might be the drain plug is on the bottom with a bunch of rust around it. It seems to be threaded for a hose to be attached. If that's the plug, is all I gotta do is pull it - wait for it to drain and then put it back?

Would think I should disconnect my water hose from the RV first. It will not be re-attached.

david-steph2018

Finally found instruction manual for the water heater. It's an Atwood. Could be either a 4-E or 10-E or neither. Pulled open the panel and it looks alot different from the manual illustrations. Only thing I see that might be the drain plug is on the bottom with a bunch of rust around it. It seems to be threaded for a hose to be attached. If that's the plug, is all I gotta do is pull it - wait for it to drain and then put it back?

Would think I should disconnect my water hose from the RV first. It will not be re-attached.
The drain plug should be threaded. It could be plastic as well. If it is plastic I always change it whenever I drain the water heater.

Once you remove the drain plug, then you open the pop-off vent on the upper corner to help vent the water heater and drain faster.