Draw Tite Companion Hitch

TX_Clay

Bought my 06 Dodge 3500 used 5 years ago and part of the deal was to get a companion hitch. Dealership installed the hitch in the existing Hitch system that was on the truck. Pulled our 10,000 Playmor 5th wheel around till last October and got the CY3010. Lifted the companion hitch out of the bed last week and noticed that my bed being indented on each end of the companion hitch legs. Knew that something was amiss. Took it into a Draw Tite dealer today. He says the companion is sitting to high and leg supports are not against the bed and it is rocking fore and aft.
Apparently, it was installed with the wrong pin adapter (to long and would hit bottom before the hitch was all the way down) so there was no adjustment available. As this pin style (Square) was used, the companion was designed for newer round pin. He believes we can send the pin to a machine shop to mill the end down some to allow it to **** deeper into the hole and then we should have adjustment available to get it right.
Hard to believe I have been towing this setup wrong for years. Only came to light when I got the heavier trailer. Hard to go back to the installing dealer on this one.

Attachments

• 9480_1000.jpg
    9480_1000.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 26