DSI Light comes on

Riski

Though connected to AC we use propane to heat the water in our rig. When I first set up and turn on the propane switch the how water heater immediately fires up. However, if we are gone for a while I'll turn on the hot water the water is cool and the DSI light is on. I am assuming this is because the water heater tried to turn on automatically and heat the water and there was some interruption in the delivery of the gas to the unit. But, that is an assumption. Anyone have an idea as to why this is happening? Or, maybe, this is a safety/propane consumption feature. Any thoughts on this?

danemayer

It's a safety lockout feature. Three ignition tries and it stops to keep bad things from happening. Try running off the other propane tank. You may have a problem with a regulator or pigtail.

Riski

It's a safety lockout feature. Three ignition tries and it stops to keep bad things from happening. Try running off the other propane tank. You may have a problem with a regulator or pigtail.

Ok, I switched the tank it draws from but the problem still continues. When I turn off then on the hot water heater turns on and works as expected. However, if we leave for a while (4 hours) then come back the DSI light is back on. Could it be a low pressure issue? In other words, a slow leak or blockage? Potentially, the regulator? And, doesn't the regulator automatically switch to the other tank once pressure drops below a certain level? As you can see, the RV life is new to us. :) But, we love it!

danemayer

Most likely causes (not necessarily in order of likelihood) are 1) marginal propane supply due to regulator problem or pigtail problem, 2) marginal adjustment at the igniter, 3) insects in the air intake or igniter, 4) low voltage to the circuit board or loose wires, 5) circuit board.

LP problems can be difficult to diagnose and it's dangerous to work on. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet and get a trained tech to look at it.