Dual batteries?

diamondl

Our 2013 Bighorn 3260 came with a second battery box, but no battery and no instructions. Some of us need a lot of help! Would + to + and
- to - be the correct way to hook this up. It seems right to me but.....
diamondl

Gizzy

All the info provided so far is great. Our coach came with one 12 volt and two boxes. On our first long trip it did not take long to discover that the one 12 volt battery would not last long if we had to stop somewhere without hookups and running off an inverter. After doing much research on this forum as well as advice from other experienced RV'ers, I switched over to two 6 volt golf cart batteries and it was one the best things I have done to the coach so far. I suggest doing more research on changing to two 6 volt before buying another 12 volt.

scottyb

All the info provided so far is great. Our coach came with one 12 volt and two boxes. On our first long trip it did not take long to discover that the one 12 volt battery would not last long if we had to stop somewhbatterieshout hookups and running off an inverter. After doing much research on this forum as well as advice from other expe12ienced RV'ers, I switched over to two 6 volt golf cart batteries and it was one the best things I have done to the coach so far. I suggest doing more research on changing to two 6 volt before buying another 12 volt.

I agree. Dealers put the batteries in before delivery and they have a reputation for using the cheapest ones they can get. These 12 v marine batteries are hybrids and not true deep cycle. You can get two 6V GC batteries for a few dollars more, and only have to buy one jumper to go from + to -, between the two. You already have a 2nd box. Then you will have 220-250 Ah and real deep cycle batteries.

pegmikef

I agree. Dealers put the batteries in before delivery and they have a reputation for using the cheapest ones they can get. These 12 v marine batteries are hybrids and not true deep cycle. You can get two 6V GC batteries for a few dollars more, and only have to buy one jumper to go from + to -, between the two. You already have a 2nd box. Then you will have 220-250 Ah and real deep cycle batteries.

I wanted to replace mine with Trojans 6 volt like I used on my North Trail, but the only batteries the boxes installed in my BH will accommodate are group 27 12 volt, so I bought a pair of them instead. At some point I will break down and buy the bigger boxes to so I can switch to six volt.

evolvingpowercat

if you have 1 12 volt battery now then you just parallel the 2nd battery plus to plus and minus to minus. the jumpers just go right under the same wing nuts on the first battery. Walmart and auto parts stores sell the jumpers in different lengths with the ends already crimped on. I put an 80 amp fuse in the plus jumper from battery 1 to battery 2 this protects against a catastrophe if you do a major oops and connect to plus to minus and minus to plus to by mistake. Wal-mart and auto parts stores sell big fuse holders and fuses too.

Randy

diamondl

Thanks for the help guys, I have heard about the 6 volt change before, but have been ignoring it as I rarely camp without hookups. Once a year we go to the Bluegrass festival in Blythe, Ca. and run on generators. Usually the battery goes dead during the night from running the heater. I will look into the 6 volt change if they fit in the current boxes but don't think I will change for just once a year.
diamondl

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
My 2011 BH 3670 also came from HL with two 12V batteries. Trace

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My 2009 BH3670 came with one battery but has two battery boxes. The supposedly cheap, crappy battery has gone through five summers of use (with shore power) and looks to keep on going. A similar battery in our pontoon went 10 years before it weakened last summer.