Dual Fuel or Remote Start Generator?

jddelano

Monday night our sticks and bricks home's power went out. Never happened before (even during our hurricanes) as we're on a hospital power distribution circuit. But a transformer three houses down blew which took out power to just five homes. Took all night and into late morning to get it fixed as some of the wiring burned out (our neighborhood power lines are all underground which probably exasperated the problem).

So, I decided to purchase a backup generator that can (1) provide emergency power to keep refrig and a few lights in the house, and (2) serve as an RV generator. I wouldn't order a Landmark with the generator (I'd rather install it myself and save some $$$$ if I go that route). My preference; however, would be to configure the generator bay with a large battery bank and solar electronics and use a 3000w generator as a backup from the back of my pickup. So, based on the comments from closed posts I've read here on the HL forum as well as some others, I've decided to purchase one of the "new" Champion 3000 inverter models.

I wanted to get your thoughts on what might be a better purchase from an RV perspective:

1. Dual Fuel Electric Start (but not remote start) - Gasoline and LP (more expensive than option 2, but still cheaper than a 2000 Honda).
or
2. Gas Only with remote electric start (cheaper solution than option 1, but not dual fuel).

I didn't see any of the Champions that combined remote start with dual fuel.

I would think the remote start would be nice at night/or early morning or when it's raining; but on the other hand, the dual fuel would be a bonus when boondocking (tanks on these models are small (~1.6 g), and unlike the Honda, they don't have a fuel pump).

Thanks for your thoughts.
Dave
Chesapeake, VA

B

Boatman

Don't overlook the height of the Champion, the noise they produce, and the weight. I personal use 2- Honda 2000's and they fit in our truck bed, and are below the bed rails. Using my homemade extended run kits. I can run a couple of days on 6 gals, depending on the load. And nothing beats them for dependability and low noise output. However, they are pricey compared to the Champion. I'm sure you will be happy with whatever you select based on your needs. See you down the road.

Sumo

If you get a campion your camping neighbors will hate you, VERY noisey.
The nice thing about LP is the fuel won't go bad after setting for along period of time. Which can be a big plus.
My first generator was a China knock off Honda, looked good on paper (cost less). My advice is buy a Honda or Yamaha you'll be much happier in the end.

Sarge

I've seen the Hondas for less than $2500 for the pair with the required tandem wring kits.

If we didn't have the built in gen - I'd have these in the bed of my truck.

FYI - My Ram has a 110 plug in the dash. Not sure how much it could run but you might want to consider a newer truck if that solves your needs...

Sarge

Dean-Pam

We have the older Champion 3100 (no remote start) and my brother-in-law has the Honda 2000's. Mine is as quiet has his, though the tank is small. It is 30amp, so you can't run two A/C's if this is a requirement for you.

szewczyk_john

I have seen people who rigged up 2 honda 2000s to run an tandem and they had it stored in the front bay where a generator would normally be stored. They had a shelf that slid out on ball bearing slides. If you went this route, it would be cheaper than the factory installed units, would not be in the bed of the truck, and would be protected from the weather by the overhang. I have seen many inverter type generators that are as quite as honda ones.

jddelano

Appreciate all the insights. Hadn't thought about the longevity of LP over gasoline but that shouldn't be an issue as I'm intending to use gasoline most of the time just to top off the batteries and occasionally run the AC when boondocking--wasn't planning in using in an RV park/resort.

When you look at size and weight of the new Champion dual fuel and remote start 3000 inverter generators, they are smaller and lighter weight than either the Honda or Yamaha inverters. The Champion noise level is a bit higher (59db@23') versus Yamaha @ 53/60db and Honda at 49/58db, but I considered these factors before I asked my question. The Champion $$$ is significantly less than its competitors. Lots of good reviews for the Champion 2000; really liked "Love Your RV" review after his five years of good use.

My question wasn't intended to compare the Champion with any other generator. I only wanted some thoughts regarding the dual fuel vs remote 80' start features as Champion doesn't make one that combines both dual fuel and remote start together--so it's an either/or proposition for me.

Thanks, Dave

justafordguy

The Champion 3000 Inverter generator is very quiet. I am unable to tell the difference in sound level compared to a Honda 3000.

IronJ

Appreciate all the insights. Hadn't thought about the longevity of LP over gasoline but that shouldn't be an issue as I'm intending to use gasoline most of the time just to top off the batteries and occasionally run the AC when boondocking--wasn't planning in using in an RV park/resort.

When you look at size and weight of the new Champion dual fuel and remote start 3000 inverter generators, they are smaller and lighter weight than either the Honda or Yamaha inverters. The Champion noise level is a bit higher (59db@23') versus Yamaha @ 53/60db and Honda at 49/58db, but I considered these factors before I asked my question. The Champion $$$ is significantly less than its competitors. Lots of good reviews for the Champion 2000; really liked "Love Your RV" review after his five years of good use.

My question wasn't intended to compare the Champion with any other generator. I only wanted some thoughts regarding the dual fuel vs remote 80' start features as Champion doesn't make one that combines both dual fuel and remote start together--so it's an either/or proposition for me.

Thanks, Dave

this generator thing is a significant portion of the reason I ended up with a toy hauler....and in the journey I have owned 5 gennys.....including

1-chamion 3500/4000 non inverter with remote start
1-champion 3100 inverter with remote start
2-champion 2000 inverters with parallel kit
1- Honda 7000efi

a lot of the genny upgrades were due to moving up to a bigger trailer, and probably more importantly being able to afford to buy better stuff...

the 500/4000 champion was a BEAST , loud , and heavy...but the remote feature was nice, although I found I didn't use it as much as I thought I would. I had to have ramps to load it in truck.

the champion 2000 was really well rounded and as a matter of fact I still have one in the garage. I camped with many o Honda and Yamaha, and it was MAYBE slightly louder at idle, but less or the same at load....I had 2 and the parallel cable, and it would pop off one of my 15k ac,

I caught a closeout deal on a champion 3100 remote and picked it up next....it was pretty much as quiet as the 2000 and had enough power so I didn't have to shut of one thing to turn on another...it would not ALWAYS start my a/c but if it was not humid out or too hot it would.....and it had the remote which I found myself using MORE than the 3500/4000, but probably because I was running the 3100 a lot more since it was quiet...

towards the end of my bumper pull days, I wanted the best of all the worlds...power and quiet and fuel efficient...I wanted to be able to use my camper as if I was plugged into shore power anywhere I was......so I manned up and bought the fuel injected Honda 7000......and yeah....it was AWESOME..ran both my 15k ac with no problem and was quiet doing it!! no remote start tho, and it was STUPID heavy, but I just rant it from bed of truck.....also my bed cover would not close on it so I had to put the cover off and on....but yeah...

as for dual fuel, I really never considered it much, as I was running non ethanol fuel in my gennys and they never sat for more than a month without getting a workout....over 6 or 7 years they all started and ran like a charm... if you don't see using the genny much then propane may be an option, but its not as efficient as gas/diesel...plus gas is much easier to refill when your on the road and have no idea who refills propane..

as for the remote, I had 2 that had the remote and of course I found them easier to use....given my use I would pick the remote over dual fuel anytime...

my TH has the built in ONAN , a remote button, and 45gallons of on board fuel....and for me was a HUGE part of the reason I bit the bullet and went toy hauler. there may be a propane onan, but if there was I didn't ask and I didn't want it.....

jddelano

I guess it's true IronJ, folks from Texas do everything bigger! :)

Think I'll go with the remote start Champion.

Thanks