Dual Pane Windows?

boatdoc

We had our choice between two 3670's sitting side by side, one with and one without. Sat in the two for about 15 minutes and the noise reduction in the one with them was like night and day. No brainer which one followed us home.

Lynn1130

I don't know how much truth there is to this but I was told that problems develop with dual pane windows and the amount of pounding that the RV takes over roads and back roads. They develop leaks.

jnbhobe

I don't know how much truth there is to this but I was told that problems develop with dual pane windows and the amount of pounding that the RV takes over roads and back roads. They develop leaks.

Ahhh, another fish tale!!!!

danemayer

When I hear things like this, I usually figure the comment originated with a dealer who wanted to sell the single-pane rig he had on his lot, rather than have you look elsewhere for what you want.

A friend just bought a new Landmark. The dealer was trying to sell what he had and told my friend that full body paint is no longer offered. They ended up placing an order, but believed the full body paint story and just found out it's not true.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ahhh, another fish tale!!!!

Agreed.
We fulltime, have dual panes and have had no issues with them whatsoever
Some dealers need their knuckles rapped by the mfgr. when statements like that are made.

Lynn1130

Could be. Like many things there are a number of opinions out there. My 2011 3010 has "mirrored Solar Reflective Safety Glass Windows" but then I live in Arizona not Canada. The following is a quote from NU-WA's web site

"Can someone explain thermopane versus storm windows?
spacer.gif
First of all we know of no "real" thermopane windows in the RV industry as are used in homes. Cost and vibration's impact on the window prevent this design.
What is available is a "dual pane" window, which does in fact have a 1/16" inert air space housed between two layers of glass instead of the normal single layer of glass. Don't expect tremendous difference in the insulation value created by the extra pane of glass and small air space. But those customers who have dual pane windows do feel they offer worthwhile benefits. Benefits mentioned by customers are increased insulation, reduction or elimination of window condensation, and noticeable reduction in outside noise penetration. Negative comments are the $1,300 approximate cost and 150 lbs of added weight.

Dual pane windows are only manufactured with a slider window design, so any jalousie windows in the trailer will become slider windows with the dual pane option. NuWa is not for or against dual pane windows, although the benefits for fulltimer customers is being appreciated more as customers influence our staff's thinking. It's an option worthy of consideration. "

caissiel

I have the dual pane windows and the spacing is more like 1/4" and far more then 1/16". I would feel the same if I had only 1/16" spacing as it would surely be to small an air space to be worth anything. I feel those windows mentioned above are just for an excuse of having dual panes.

HEHR windows model 5600 like we have on our units state 1/8-1/4-1/8 for a total of 1/2" glass.

Manzan

Our first hard side TT had easily removable storm windows. Fit inside the factory installed window and cut way down on sweating in the winter. Don't know if anyone makes them now or not. This was an SOB some twenty two years ago.

trackeer

We ordered DP windows in our 3814 simply because we live in New England and plan to use our camper well into the later season perhaps even into winter, I can't attest to heat/cooling retention value but those who have them report a significant condensation improvement in their campers, condensation is a serious issue in enclosed area's like campers that have minimal air flow.
I would not hesitate recommending them even if the insulation barrier between the glass is minimal, it is an improvement enough to lower condensation so I would suspect other benefits as well, less heat/cooling loss,
quitier, etc.
So what's another grand or so, not like your going to buy one of these every 2 years unless you booboo and buy the wrong set-up, lololol

Good Luck

Moe in NH

porthole

Retired
The new Landmarks have frame less windows and look really nice. Will a dual pane option remove that look and add standard frames to the trailer?

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The new Landmarks have frame less windows and look really nice. Will a dual pane option remove that look and add standard frames to the trailer?

We have the DP frameless windows and they really look nice. Not real crazy about the screens but they work.

2psnapod2

No I'm not a salesman. Just a Soldier thats ready to retire. The screens are ok, I'm just not crazy about how they hook into the window. They use a small clip and attach to the windows from inside. There are some gaps and they dont always stay put. But I would not go without the DP and I really like the look of the frameless. So don't go without them because of the screens. They do work, just not the best idea. JMO though. Michael

I have them on My BC3450TS.
I believe they work great and are worth the money and the weight.
They do make the coach quieter.

Hockster

jpajax

Not to high jack this thread but I don't think that the windows are the total problem of heat and cold lose in our campers. If you think about when you extend the slide outs and all that extra sq footage that has little or no insulation, then you will start to understand why things are like they are. But it is not only Heartland that has this problem it's a large amount of the units that are manufacture today. I think it would be a great selling point if Heartland would address this weak point. I am sure that the dual pane windows would help especially the big window in the rear of most models but it is not the major lose and gain of temp. in our campers.

2psnapod2

I also ordered my KL with the Yetti Package that comes with the foil insulation in the floors of the slides. I figured it would at least help, and any help in that area is worth having.

porthole

Retired
And tank heaters and fresh water line heater. Even if you don't need the freeze protection at least it will keep the fresh water temperate.

We have the Kinro windows. Had a problem with three of them. One sucked out while driving....left the inside window intact. Could have happened while passing a truck. The glue on a rear window came loose. I understand that Mobile Suites and one other have stopped using these windows due to recurring problems. Seems like there is a problem with the adhesive that holds the outside frameless glass in place.