Dual Pane windows

Princess Kathleen

We recommend the dual pane windows....and the fireplace....been a many cold night that the fireplace has kept the living area cozy and warm....besides it is pretty to look at as you snuggle on the sofa....or floor....with some nice music on the surround sound and wine should I continue...of course this is the Luv Shak

PK

wfwilson

Founding Canadian Region Director - Retired
Windows

When we ordered our BH we wanted Dual Pane windows. The dealer talked us out of them. We are sorry sure wished we would not have listened to him.
Regards
Wayne
PS that is our only regret with the trailer and such is life we love our unit and will know better next time.

You know, Wayne, that's exactly what we ran in to with the salesman that we talked to. :confused: I didn't expect a salesman to ever try to talk us out of anything. I assumed that his comission would go up as the price of the rig goes up. Also, we have used the shrink wrap film on single pane windows in a home that we once owned and they did work well, however, they were fixed panes of glass that didn't open and I wouldn't want to mess with taking it off and re-installing just to open the window.
I believe we are going to go ahead and add the dual pane windows to the rig so that they can be installed at the factory. I think that would be better for the integrity of the rig as opposed to having someone install them at a later date. Besides, if I had a nickle for every time we said "we can do that later" and never did, I'd have enough to pay for the windows:D

Delaine and Lindy

Well we didn't get dual pane windows on the Landmark. We have had 1 out of 4 5er's that had dual pane windows. Dual pane windows add weight and cost more. Don't know if the cost and the weight justifies getting dual pane windows. We have the reflective type windows and I guess it will reflect some of the light. We aren't sure about getting the dual pane windows or not, I guess we will learn. We are seriously thinking about getting our windows tinted with dark tint. To keep more sun light out is the major reason for that. We also were told we didn't need dual pane windows and really didn't need the second A/C, I disagree on the 2nd A/C, I think the 2nd A/C is a must, dual pane windows I'm not sure. GBY...

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
Well we didn't get dual pane windows on the Landmark. We have had 1 out of 4 5er's that had dual pane windows. Dual pane windows add weight and cost more. Don't know if the cost and the weight justifies getting dual pane windows. We have the reflective type windows and I guess it will reflect some of the light. We aren't sure about getting the dual pane windows or not, I guess we will learn. We are seriously thinking about getting our windows tinted with dark tint. To keep more sun light out is the major reason for that. We also were told we didn't need dual pane windows and really didn't need the second A/C, I disagree on the 2nd A/C, I think the 2nd A/C is a must, dual pane windows I'm not sure. GBY...

Try spending a few days in Las Cruces NM with a single AC...you'll find out real quick that you need that 2d AC

theharveys

Being in Texas, we ordered the 2nd A/C. I don't care how well insulated your rig is...on a summer day in Texas, the 2nd A/C extends the life of the primary A/C as it (the primary) does not have to run as often or as long.
We also ordered dual pane windows. This is the first trailer we have had with them...and I will never get another trailer without them. They make a very noticable difference in how quiet the trailer is inside...and how much sound travels outside. It also seems that they really help insulate the trailer.
They do add more weight and expense to the trailer, but I feel the weight and expense are tradeoffs I am willing to make for the additional comfort and livability the dual pane windows add.

StevieWonder

The reason dual pane windows are necessary is because glass is a POOR thermal insulator (but a great electric one).

The plastic film I mentioned does NOT have an airspace between the glass and the plastic because the plastic is the insulator. It's not as effective as the double pane but it's a SMALL FRACTION of the cost and can be installed easily without special skills or tools. Part of the effectiveness is the reflection of radiant heat, the biggest issue with glass. Another part is the thermal value of the film itself. This is what keeps the windows from developing condensation in cool, humid weather.

If you get dual pane ... great. If you don't the film is a reasonable, inexpensive and effective "fix".

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
That may be Lefty...put I can guarantee it can't stop the noise like dual-panes do. Taking plastic off and on would get to be a real pain after awhile.

It's all in what you want. Personally I'll never own another rig without them...best money we ever spent! I can't remember the exact price, but I don't remember the option costing that much...for us, it was money well spent!

StevieWonder

FWIW, opening and closing the windows with the film on them is NOT an issue. The work exactly as advertised. No need to remove the film to do so.

And, no, it doesn't have the same noise reducing qualities but there are so many other "weak spots" for noise, like the skylights that I can't think it would be that different. You can buy a pair of softie earplugs for less than $2. They won't even let you look at a sample dual-pane for that!

jwb187

If you have an opportunity to purchase a unit with dual pane windows, by all means do so. We got them as an option on our Bighorn and have really enjoyed them.....they really block out the noise from outside and seem to cut down on the amount of sunlight entering the trailer, thus making it cooler. We also purchased a second AC unit for the bedroom which has been very beneficial in the high humidity of the mid west and Gulf coast which is where we do the majority of our camping. They do add a little weight to the trailer, around 200 lbs I am told....anyway IMO they were worth the extra money...jwb.

StevieWonder

I'd order the dual panes IF I was ordering a new unit that wasn't on the lot, but IF you didn't do so I wouldn't pass up the film as a viable solution nor would I pass up a nice unit on the lot you like that doesn't have the dual pane windows.