Dual Thermostats - How do they operate together

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
OK, here is one of the areas I did not get a very good "orientation" on from Camping World when we picked up our trailer. My San Antonio has two a/c units and it has two Domenic thermostats. Both say I have up to 4 zones available. I've gotten through all the set-up procedures and have a very limited, basic, understanding on how the thermostats work. What I don't understand is the zone thing and how they coordinate between the two thermostats. I have the main thermo set on zone one, and have also set the bedroom thermo on zone 1 also. Is this correct?? Does it make a difference if I set the bedroom to a different zone? Another question....I have tried using the "program" settings but find that if, for example, I set program one for 70 degrees for daytime operation and then set program two for 67 degrees for nighttime operation, at the point program 2 is suppose to kick-in, my system will go from heat (if it's cold outside) to a/c to adjust the temp to the lower setting. Just seems kind of crazy to me to try to heat the camper only to have the a/c kick in at the program 2 time. I know with my "home" heating system I can program the thermostat to start and stop at specific times, but with the camper I can only program the system to start at two different set times. Anybody have any words of wisdom on these two issues for me?

danemayer

Hi klindgren,

I believe that only zone 1 is relevant since there is only 1 A/C unit controlled by each thermostat. I'm not familiar with the programming issues, but it sounds like the mode for programs 1 and 2 are not the same.

You might want to take a look at our Heating and Cooling Guide in the manuals section of the forum. It doesn't deal with thermostat programming, but you may find other useful information there.

jbeletti

Keith,

I agree with Dan that each thermostat is only connected to and can only control the one AC unit. So use Zone 1 on each.

I know nothing of the programming as I've never used it.

DougAndJudy

The key to understanding the Dometic thermostat is knowing that it is dumb as a board. You have to manually change the mode for each programmed time to switch it between heat and a/c. For example, the weather we are having now is warm during the day and very cool at night. So I set the living room thermostat's Program 1 to start at 6:00 am. At night I program for the next day by setting program 1 mode to Furnace, with a temp of 72. When it gets warm enough during the day, I have to change Program 1 mode to Cool, with a temp of 79. Then at night, I have to remember to set the Program 1 mode back to Furnace before I turn in. The Program 2 setting stays at 66 with the mode set to furnace. As mentioned above, the bedroom furnace only controls the front a/c, so the only changing I do is between Cool mode and Off. The zones don't seem to be programmable on either thermostat, so it's not an issue. As a side note, the 2 thermostats are interchangeable, so you can troubleshoot heating and cooling problems that may be thermostat related by swapping them.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
To change between heat, AC and furnace I just set a temp on auto...works well for us. Haven't tried programming...the auto setting keeps things comfortable.

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
To change between heat, AC and furnace I just set a temp on auto...works well for us. Haven't tried programming...the auto setting keeps things comfortable.

Same here. I just set it to "auto" and let it switch between AC or heat from the dual Heat Pumps as needed. I did program mine as well since I like it a little cooler at night when sleeping and then it will warm back up a couple of degrees before we get out of bed.

Eddhuy

The different zone are for remote sensor, you can purchase a remote sensor that will read the temp at the other sensor and activate the heat, HP or AC. Here is a link to what it looks like.

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Dometic-3106486008-Remote-Sensor-Kit-Trailer-Camper-RV

Bill & Katherine

2013 Cyclone 4100
2012 Dodge Megacab 3500 Dually, 6.7L max tow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My understanding of zones is different. I believe that even with a remote sensor, you would not have a zone. A zone would allow regulating the temperature independent of other zones. So you would have to be able to not only have a sensor but a way to regulate the temperature separate from the other zones. This can be done with separate heating/cooling units or electric vents that can be regulated by a control board.