Dura Max On A Hook Again!!!

cmart

I'm sorry I can't make a constructive comment because I'm still laughing so hard at Katkens statement. But anyway I replace my batteries every 4 years regardless.

Uncle Rog

I took the truck all around today, shopping etc, started and stopped 5 or 6 times, ran like a top....new fuel filter tomorrow............

Uncle Rog

The new batteries are 800 CCC, I think that is more than what came stock. I do not remember. Any body with a Dura Max still have there originals? How many CCC's are they?

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Uncle Rog said:
The new batteries are 800 CCC, I think that is more than what came stock. I do not remember. Any body with a Dura Max still have there originals? How many CCC's are they?

My 04 LLY has Catalog# 4979, CCA 770, AH 63 and replacement # 78-7YR. I had the Delco 7 year battery in my last truck and got 7 years and 3 months before it died. Good luck on the new ones.---Ken

ChopperBill

Rog, these new 2 micron fuel filters plug up faster than an old man on a cheese diet. I only got 8,000 miles on my last one. Darn near didn't make it up the mountain a few weeks ago. I carry a spare and changed it when I got to our camping spot. Runs like a charm now. I was going to add an extra primary filter but the outfit I contacted wanted almost $400! Yikes! Can change lots of filters for that kind of lay out.

DaleR

Uncle Rog said:
My 07/3500 has the same as Katkens, but the catalog no. is 4971 (AC Deco)?

Last edited:

Uncle Rog

Chopper, you might be onto something, I have a little less that 8k miles on the filter. The truck would not start on Monday and the local part house did not have the right filter so I had it towed again!!! I too will now have a spare under the seat. I had a come to heysoos conversation this morning with a very humble service manager about the situation. We will see what happens, I plan to get a major adjustment on the cost of the batteries and get the truck back right.

Uncle Rog

Bad Priming Pump?

I am learning a lot about the Dura Max, I think. The dealer said the priming pump on the fuel filter was bad and had to be replaced? It was my understanding that the pump is to re-prime when you change the filter or if you run out of fuel. I think maybe they are pulling my pinata, any ideas from you boys and / or girls...............

ct0218

They do go bad, but not often. The diaphragm develops a leak. Rog, I would carry 2 spare filters just to be sure. I went thru 2 in less than 20 miles from a bad batch of fuel. A tanker was delivering a load as I filled up, and there must have been a bunch of crap in the bottom that he stirred up. I got about 10 miles before mine died, luckily I had just changed the filter and had picked up a couple more at the parts house a day or two earlier. Having a filter delivered in the middle of nowhere would not be cheap, so I always have 2 in the truck now. Also, be careful with that tiny vent screw. It is NOT available from GM unless you buy the filter head, which is a couple hundred $. You can shop around for the best price for the filters--they are all made by Racor regardless of the name on them. Just make sure you get the latest version, #3.

snuffy

I still have the original batteries in my '01 Max but I am not home right now so don't know which batteries I have in them. I also would suspect a bad filter. That is the cheapest thing to replace anyway but not the easiest.