Easy addition of an Inverter.

porthole

Retired
Hot water would be propane when inverter is used. Fridge probably too. I just filled my 1st propane tank yesterday (30 x pound). We are starting our 4th season. So I guess the fridge really doesn't use that much. I have the fridge on propane whenever moving.

I would consider running the AC while on the road, say an hour from the stop. When my inverter is finally installed and all the options figured in I will also have a 2/0 cable from the batteries to the back of the truck. The truck already has the cable and connector at the bumper.

Urban350

I just filled my 1st propane tank yesterday (30 gallon). We are starting our 4th season. So I guess the fridge really doesn't use that much. I have the fridge on propane whenever moving.

Not to change the subject (I assume you mean 30lbs not gallons) but I went through, as an example, 60lbs of propane in less then 1 week one month ago using the furnace. So 30lbs in 3 years that would be incredible.

porthole

Retired
Not to change the subject (I assume you mean 30lbs not gallons) but I went through, as an example, 60lbs of propane in less then 1 week one month ago using the furnace. So 30lbs in 3 years that would be incredible.

Corrected my post. 30 pound = 7.5 gallon tank (which full weighs 51 pounds and has 6 gallons)

I hardly ever use the furnace. I have heat strips in the AC units and an original Pelonis heater that is still going strong. For the most part the propane is for the fridge and grill.

Jimalberta

Does anyone know how to permanently disconnect the battery charging part of the factory converter? I am using solar for boondocking and plan on using a 3 stage automatic battery charger to charge my batteries when on shore power. Or...is the converter that comes with a 2008 Bighorn smart enough to fully charge my batteries? Thanks in advance.......Jim

branson4020

Icantre Member
Your converter is manufactured by Progressive Dynamics. Depending on the model number, it is either already a smart 3-stage charger, or you can add the "smarts" externally with an accessory they call a Charge Wizard. My 2009 BH has the smarts built-in.

danemayer

Does anyone know how to permanently disconnect the battery charging part of the factory converter? I am using solar for boondocking and plan on using a 3 stage automatic battery charger to charge my batteries when on shore power. Or...is the converter that comes with a 2008 Bighorn smart enough to fully charge my batteries? Thanks in advance.......Jim

I've attached the buss bar wiring diagram for LM/BH/BC. Note the 2nd breaker is to the converter. Try disconnecting the wire from that terminal. I think there's a separate wiring path from converter to DC fuse panel, but you'll need to make sure. You might be able to check this by setting the battery cutoff to OFF while on shore power and seeing if the 12V lights still work.

With the converter disconnected, when operating other devices on the buss bar, like the hydraulics, slides, power cord reel, etc. you're depending totally on the battery to drive high-current devices. I would think with the converter wired in, you're getting some help from the converter. Not sure if that'll be a problem.

Attachments

• Buss_Bar_for_LM-BH-BC.pdf
    694.4 KB · Views: 37

caissiel

I installed a 3 way switch with one line closed on the slide breaker and branching to the inverter.
Normal the slide power is from the breaker. Switched over it takes power from inverter.

I have to switch the fridge on gas and we can operate the satellite television and charge the computers.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2

Jimalberta

OK I looked at my converter today and it is a Progressive Dynamics make. Can I assume that because the BH is a 50 amp unit that the smart charger is built in to this converter? I see no way of finding the model number without tearing a lot apart.

Jimalberta

Good news! I crawled into the storage bay today and opened up the bulkhead and took a good look in there. I saw a device with fins on it so made my way in there and found a PD 9260C Intellipower which is the Progressive Dynamics charger with the charge wizard built in. So...I'm good to go with my solar panels and the charge controller and the Wizard I don't think I need anything else.