Edge M21 Axle Flip

RAchord

I recently discovered I had a broken leaf on my passenger side rear axle leaf spring on my 2011 Heartland Edge M21. While my mechanic was working on it he noticed that the axles at all four wheels were banging against the bottom of the frame, bending the edges of the frame above each wheel. BTW, this is the same leaf spring that was hanging, not attached to the shackle on one end, when I bought the trailer. And, the bolt to hang the spring on the shackle was in place with the nut tightened.

The mechanic has suggested that I flip the axles to add a few inches of clearance between the axles and the frame. The Lippert trailer frame as a pair of 2500# axles, hopefully labelled correctly. How does Lippert and/or Heartland feel about this? Is there anything I should be concerned about? I understand there "over/under kits" available for these conversions.

The RV already bounces like crazy at times when I pull it and I'm concerned it may be worse after changing the center of gravity. My tow vehicle is a 2011 Ford F-150 with the eco-boost engine. Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard Achord
Pearland, TX

danemayer

Hi RAchord,

Sounds like maybe your springs have flattened out. Flipping them would get you more clearance, but as you've noted would also raise the center of gravity and cause towing problems.

Bouncing might be another indication that the springs needed replacement.

Maybe just replacing all the springs is the best answer.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If your springs look like this:

AxelRearDrivSide-IMG_3900.jpg FrontAxlePassSide-IMG_3906.jpg

Then they need to be replaced!

Have them upgrade the springs to a heavier duty set than what came on the trailer.

We just went through all of that axle stuff with our previous trailer (2013 Heartland Trail Runner) . . .

The axles and springs upgraded to the next level, and bought larger tires and wheels to replace the stock ones, and it raised the trailer roughly 5-6 inches.

When we traded it in two weeks later, the dealership asked if we had flipped the axles, to which I replied "No!", and then described all of the work that had just been done to the trailer.

They told us that had we flipped the axles that they would not have taken it in on trade . . .

Food for thought.

RAchord

Thanks Guys, I think that helps make my decision. If the springs are flat, am I'm sure they are, and replacing them will give me back some wheel well clearance, than I think that's my route. I already planned to upgrade them. I'll likely have to replace the tires because of the outer wear, so I'll look at some better, possibly bigger, tires also. Maybe some all-terrains. :) And thanks for the trade in advice; something I didn't consider. Thanks again, -Rich