Edge OEM AC Replaced Today with Brisk II - AC opening not framed at factory?

evolvingpowercat

I replaced my OEM Penguin 11K BTU AC with a 13.5K Brisk II today. I bought the new unit at rvpartscountry.com and their price and execution on the order could not have been better! They truck shipped the unit directly from the Dometic location in Indiana to my home and I had the unit delivered by a truck with a lift gate 4 days after I placed my order!

The Brisk II works as advertised, it is lighter and quieter than the older OEM Dometic AC. It is 4" higher than the Penguin so that was one down side - that I increased the height of my Edge by 4". It has three speeds vs. the Penguin that only had 2 speeds, and in particular the low speed is going to work better for me at night and when trying to watch TV in the rig. I also like that the fan runs continuous and only the compressor cycles on and off making the noise level constant vs the old unit cycling on and off.

I had one issue - the Dometic installation instructions for both the OEM unit and also the Brisk II require that the opening be framed and Heartland built the roof of my Edge with no framing around the AC opening. I went ahead and framed the opening before installing the replacement unit.

I was surprised that the opening was not framed as both Dometic and I thought also the RVIA code book required AC openings to be framed.

photo.JPG