Electric Landing Gear Limit Modification

wdk450

Gang:
I was helping out a couple of friends moving their newer Bighorn a couple of weeks ago, and noted a difference (improvement/upgrade) in their electric landing gear legs. It was a rebar-sized rod welded to the landing gear legs on the long axis of the trailer, just above the extension snap clips. This effectively makes a mechanical stop that hits the fiberglass/frame instead of the snap clips hitting and bending.

After picking up my rig from my RV repairer for an insurance claim repair recently, I went to hitch up, was bringing the legs in enough to get the hitch pin down, and ran into unexpected problems with the elevation motor system. Since I have been used to having no highth problems hitching up due to the fact that my truck has been the only vehicle hitched to the Bighorn, I didn't immediately figure out what was going on. During these 3 weeks at the RV repair shop the rig was moved around with their forklift, and evidently they extended the legs out. In fact, after finding the problem, I had to have the guys there lift my hitch with their forklift so I could get the legs telescoped in enough to hitch up. Lucky for me the RV repairer had a new set of large diameter snap clips (my old ones had bent rods and broke the weld on the mounting plate) - Bad news was that they cost about $70.

I am going to have my welder at my storage facility add these stop rods to the legs.

jnbhobe

I would just paint a line or put a piece of tape at the upper and lower limits of the legs. Welding on rebar will only create a stop that will blow a fuse. With a line painted on all you have to do is pay attention.

wdk450

Well, the bar is what the mfr. has chosen to do, I have NEVER blown a landing gear fuse or circuit breaker (although I have sheared the connecting bolt once or twice).