Fulltime RVer Veterans Considered "Homeless Veterans" by VA

wdk450

Gang:
I have an application in with the California State Department of Veterans Affairs to get residency and care at one of their 7 California Veteran's Homes. I was told the application paperwork was complete and all I had left to do was to have an in-person meeting with the department heads at the home in Chula Vista. That was in August, then the admissions officers were pulled off of their regular duties for a database conversion project that was supposed to take 2 weeks, but with November at our doorstep, the project is incomplete, and all applications are frozen.
I wrote an e-mail to the admissions officers and their superiors last week, and got an e-mail reply from the superior that due to the fact that I live in my RV fulltime in Thousand Trails parks, I need to apply to the Federal VA for a letter stating that I am a "homeless veteran" to add to my state home application package.
I certainly do not feel like I am homeless. Yes, my SS/Calpers Survivor retirement income is below IRS filing minimum, but I live OK, and have previously been able to help support my post heart transplant daughter until she got permanent disability, and have had $1600 a month available to pay down my credit cards. Yet, I am classified as a "homeless veteran".

david-steph2018

The VA doesn't classify me as "homeless", but as a "traveling Vet". Since we travel fulltime, I am a traveling vet. One other classification the VA uses is "Snowbird Vet".
The difference is a snowbird vet goes from home to the same location year after year.

wdk450

The VA doesn't classify me as "homeless", but as a "traveling Vet". Since we travel fulltime, I am a traveling vet. One other classification the VA uses is "Snowbird Vet".
The difference is a snowbird vet goes from home to the same location year after year.
David:
Do you still own/rent a "sticks and bricks" home? Maybe that is the difference in classifications

wdk450

Well. I finally called the local US VA advisor I was referred to, I related my previous years' living situation for about 5 minutes, and she sent this form via e-mail to me before the telephone call was ended. I was a little surprised that she asked for no documentation verifying what I told her. But I now have my documentation listing me as a "homeless veteran".

Attachments

• img20231105_08433182.pdf
    183.7 KB · Views: 15

wdk450

Cal Vet local head admissions officer was the one insisting I get this designation to maybe jump me up in the admissions line to get into the CalVet retirement/convalescent home here in Chula Vista. State of California requires you pay about 1/2 of your retirement income for this, but it really beats the private retirement / convalescent home prices in California.

AidanMoran

I’m in a similar boat, applying for residency at a California Veterans Home. My application was complete and I was waiting for an in-person meeting, but then the admissions officers got sidetracked with a database project that’s still ongoing. Recently, I got a response saying I need a letter from the Federal VA stating I’m a “homeless veteran” due to my full-time RV living situation. It feels strange because, like you, I don’t see myself as homeless. I manage on my SS/CalPERS income and even support my daughter post-heart transplant until she got disability.Navigating this can be frustrating, but I’ve found support through PTSD lawyers to be incredibly helpful. They’ve guided me through similar bureaucratic hurdles before. Maybe reaching out to them could help streamline things for you too.

Last edited:

NYSUPstater

Is this a Cali thing only or nationwide? Not a vet here, but do know that Cali does things a whole lot different there.

wdk450

Is this a Cali thing only or nationwide? Not a vet here, but do know that Cali does things a whole lot different there.
California Department of Veterans affairs (CALVET) is a California State agency but follows U.S. department of Veterans affairs guidelines.

I would advise any other California Veteran trying to get into these homes to immediately ask their admissions representatives what the maximum personal income limit is. I spent over a year doing this application and hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel for me, to be FINALLY notified that my $2200 monthly SS and $600 monthly CalPers survivor benefit (from my deceased wife) was over the maximum income limits as set by the U.S. Veterans administration. My application was rejected. If I become so disabled that I am classified as bedridden, I can start the application process again, and income limits are not applied to this higher disability level. I currently have leg congestion, knee pain, spinal stenosis, and circulatory issues, frequently use a rollator (wheeled walker) to prevent frequent tripping, but my application status is the same. I suspect the CalVet admissions to get just tighter with a $30 billion California State budget shortfall for 2024.

BTW, my income from these 2 sources only has been BELOW the IRS minimum income requirement for filing tax returns the last 7 years or so. But it is STILL too much for entry to the CalVet homes. Go Figure!
Am I poor, or am I rich???

Last edited: