Electric Rear Jack Problem

BarneyFife

Another trip in our Cyclone. Another failed part.

Arrived at the track and got everything set up. As usual, my youngest son's job is to drop the electric jacks in the back when we finish everything else. He tells me "Daddy, they won't go down."

Sure enough, sometimes the motor jerks a little as if its trying but nothing turns. I pull and push on the jacks but no movement from the actual jack stands. After three or four attempts, the motor quits trying. Now it won't do anything.

Fortunately this isn't something necessary for camping. We did have a good race weekend but once again, we're back home and I have to fix something on the camper.

Any ideas?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Electirc Rear Jack Problem

I'm not familiar with your type of rig, but if the rear jacks you're talking about look like the rear stabilizer on mine, you should be able to manually crank them up and down if the motor dies. On the end opposite the motor there should be a fitting and you should have a crank rod in your basement (unless it got purloined at the dealer).

As to the motor, itself, it's Asian garbage. They're not sealed properly in most cases and moisture will seriously corrode the brush springs. You can dissassemble it and replace the springs with sections cut from a ball point pen spring. I "rebuilt" mine last fall after it died the last day of our camping season while we were getting ready to bring the rig home. Used Rescue Tape to make a seal where the case joins to the gear box and it's been working fine since.

wdk450

Those motors usually have a self-resetting breaker built into them. If you get the mechanism moving O.K. with the crank, you might try the motor switch again. Be SURE to remove the crank BEFORE trying the power switch. I think the rear stabilizers are also on the front power bus in the battery compartment, and you might have to push one of those tiny red buttons on one of those circuit breakers to get power to the motor.
If the crank gets it free, I would think about lubing the mechanism.

davebennington

We just replaced the motor on our unit. If you find that you need a new motor it is best to order it from Heartland vs Lippert. The price for Heartland Owners Club members is about $300.00 vs $550.00 from Lippert.

dave

bggrndodge

Just experienced this with my 3010 yesterday, didn't have time to tear into it but will this week. its less than a year old and I'm not happy about it!!!

wdk450

Just experienced this with my 3010 yesterday, didn't have time to tear into it but will this week. its less than a year old and I'm not happy about it!!!

2 thoughts on this:
1) Use your warranty, you paid for it. Call Heartland service, and you can go to a dealer or the RV servicer of your choice. They have a list of servicers they have had good experiences with.
2) The screw drive and motor are pretty exposed to most of the road salt and corrosion. I would think this would be especially bad in Alaska, and in transporting your rig to Alaska. Find the best anticorrosive, long-lasting lubricant you can find and use it often on the screw drive. If the motor is still O.K. (or once it is replaced) seal it up against water intrusion the best you can with silicone rubber sealant.

bggrndodge

Bill,
Yes that is the plan but if I can fix it I would like to do that. I just moved to your area, who do you recommend for warranty work? I took it in for some small stuff and after a month of them having it they hadn't even contacted heartland. I called Heartland to find out what the hold up was and they didn't even have the request for work,over something that was already approved through heartland.....

Thanks in advance

2 thoughts on this:
1) Use your warranty, you paid for it. Call Heartland service, and you can go to a dealer or the RV servicer of your choice. They have a list of servicers they have had good experiences with.
2) The screw drive and motor are pretty exposed to most of the road salt and corrosion. I would think this would be especially bad in Alaska, and in transporting your rig to Alaska. Find the best anticorrosive, long-lasting lubricant you can find and use it often on the screw drive. If the motor is still O.K. (or once it is replaced) seal it up against water intrusion the best you can with silicone rubber sealant.

wdk450

I have used RV Doctor George and Allied Trailer Supply in Sacramento, and am pretty much satisfied. Heartland recommends Affordable RV repair in Newcastle (near Auburn), but I haven't tried them.