Rear Electric Stabalizer Jack Dead

JanAndBill

So I hit the button on the rear jacks this morning and all was well as it has been. 4 hrs later when we arrived it wouldn't work. I've verified power to the switch and power going to the jack motor. I'm assuming that it's in the motor at this point, but find it odd that it happened without any warning. I wouldn't think it's a low power issue as there's nothing coming from the motor. Any suggestions on what else to look for.

Bobby A

I had the same problem several years back and yes John had the fix, lucky he lives about an hour from me and came over to offer his help. The fix was, the spring in a ball point pen !! Once he did the fix for me it has been fine ever sense. Thanks again John !!

danemayer

One of the springs is probably rusted and broken and yes, a ball point spring or 1/2 of one should get things working again. Pay attention to wiring polarity while working on the motor assembly and seal the opening around the wires when finished.

sengli

Back when we had our big horn, I read that those motors arent very well sealed. I went and gooped mine up with RTV externally, to stop it from getting water in it, which ultimately causes them to fail.

JanAndBill

Moved it with manual crank, it worked but as soon as I let up on switch it wouldn't work till I moved it again. Will leave it be for now, and work on it at home.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you disassemble the motor, be careful when taking apart the brush spring holders. The plastic is brittle and the screws are tiny and easy to lose. And there is a thin copper bushing that will grow feet if you don't keep an eye on it. When we repaired Bobby A's motor, it disappeared so I drilled a hole in a penny and McGyver'd it. Hardest part of putting it back together is aligning the long steel screws through the casing past the magnets. I used Rescue Tape wrapped around the joint between the gear box and cover to keep water out. Mine was still working when I sold it last year after repairing it several years prior.

JanAndBill

We have a place in town that repairs all electric motors, including 12 volt. They're very reasonable, and will give me a like new motor when done. Since its 7 yrs old that might be the best route.

wdk450

You can also get a new Klauber C-800 motor on E-Bay for about HALF of what Lippert charges.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Some of us like to tinker, others do not or can not. I like to see if I can repair something before replacing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

Some of us like to tinker, others do not or can not. I like to see if I can repair something before replacing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've done pretty much everything over the years so repairing myself isn't an issue. Time unfortunately is. To many projects on my plate for the next few months.

Bobby A

If you disassemble the motor, be careful when taking apart the brush spring holders. The plastic is brittle and the screws are tiny and easy to lose. And there is a thin copper bushing that will grow feet if you don't keep an eye on it. When we repaired Bobby A's motor, it disappeared so I drilled a hole in a penny and McGyver'd it. Hardest part of putting it back together is aligning the long steel screws through the casing past the magnets. I used Rescue Tape wrapped around the joint between the gear box and cover to keep water out. Mine was still working when I sold it last year after repairing it several years prior.
Your repair is still good John, the motor is still running good, thank you my friend.

JanAndBill

Sometimes it's better to think it over, before you start. 4 hrs home today, backed under the cover, and unhooked. Out of curiosity I hit the switch on the jacks.....worked like a charm. I hit some really rough sections of road on the way up.