Electric Tongue Jack help

Hello everyone,

I need help determining what kind of electric tongue Jack I need. We have a Prowler 27 BHS. Tongue weight is 750lbs. My question is do I need a 2500lbs jack or a 3500lbs jack?
Any suggestions?

Regards,
Chirs

oldmannj

If you have a weight distribution hitch you have to lift both the truck and trailer when hitching. IMHO seems the higher the rating the better. My 3,500# jack seemed as though it strained quite a bit to get the height where it was easy to snap the chains over. After a jack mishap....I bought a 4,500# jack and it seems to do a much better job handling the weight. Check out etrailer.com My 4,500# husky was just over $200.00 and the shipping was free. Hope this helps you out. Let us know what you decide.

pegmikef

I have used the Barker VIP 3500 on two different TTs and have never had a problem. It has been on my North Trail (tongue weight 800 pounds) for the last couple of years and there is absolutely no straining when lifting both the TT and the TV to hook up the WD hitch torsion bars. You can google it as there seems to be a large spread in the cost. I took a cursory look and saw prices from around 200 up to 280, so shop around. It takes about five minutes to install. You'll need a couple of jack stands or you can just hook it up to your TV to install it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
One thing you should do, is install a fuse or circuit breaker inline with the wires running to the battery to power it. Ya dont want to let all the smoke out of the wires if the battery is low. I would go with the circuit breaker as a personal choice.

pegmikef

One thing you should do, is install a fuse or circuit breaker inline with the wires running to the battery to power it. Ya dont want to let all the smoke out of the wires if the battery is low. I would go with the circuit breaker as a personal choice.

The Barker VIP 3500 comes with its own fuse setup that could easily be changed to a circuit breaker. I have never had to replace the fuse.