Electrical water heater not working

danemayer

Hi Katy,

We have a troubleshooting guide that focuses in on the electric side of the Suburban Water Heater. You'll need a volt-ohm meter to run find the problem without guessing and throwing parts at it. Here's a link.

It's pretty common for the failure to be in the electric heating element, primarily because if you turn the water heater electric side ON with an empty tank, the element will be damaged in a very short time. But it can be other things.

The guide will also point you to the reset switch for the electric side, which may have tripped if the water got too hot for some reason.

Oregon_Camper

One other thing to check is the actual switch on the front of the tank. Take off the cover to the hot water heater and look for a small (normally black) rocker switch. Make sure it is in the "On" position.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
One other thing to check is the actual switch on the front of the tank. Take off the cover to the hot water heater and look for a small (normally black) rocker switch. Make sure it is in the "On" position.
I found this switch to be "ON" in our rig but when I tried to cycle it off then back on it felt quite strange. The switch pries out easily and, after doing so, an ohm meter showed the switch had failed. A trip to Lazy Days and $8 later we had an electric water heater again!

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Did you push in the reset button at the water heater ? There's 2 round rubber boots push those in and you'll probably feel and hear it click.

Jerrod

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dreamer7

Hello, not yet. But thank you, I will be looking soon. My crank thing stopped working so I need to get ratchet set to fix that. Then, I will look at directly. I have been told second hand by two people. I am completely clueless as to anything water heater related. However, I am compiling data and have learned there are basically two kinds, Atwood and Suburnan and they both have switched. In two different places. Please say a prayer, I will need it!! Lol.

Katy.

Did you push in the reset button at the water heater ? There's 2 round rubber boots push those in and you'll probably feel and hear it click.

Jerrod

danemayer

There are many possibilities and 2 choices of how to find the problem: 1) randomly guess by examining and replacing parts, 2) use a meter starting at the heating element and working your way backwards through the power connections.

If you can find someone with a Voltmeter who knows how to use it, you can work your way through it pretty quickly - at least on a Suburban.

Atwood units are a little more difficult to troubleshoot. But, since they use a single reset button, if the heater works on propane, pressing the reset button won't help because a tripped ECO would disable both gas and electric modes. They have a single thermostat, so if it works on propane, the thermostat is working.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Here's a picture of what you're looking for. Just push in buttons with your finger.
c061d23802c0b2403ce3bcabd06940a9.jpg

Dreamer7

Here's a picture of what you're looking for. Just push in buttons with your finger.
c061d23802c0b2403ce3bcabd06940a9.jpg

Ok thank you. I replaced the crank yesterday and think I may just rest today. I will check this out tomorrow. :)

Katy

- - - Updated - - -

There are many possibilities and 2 choices of how to find the problem: 1) randomly guess by examining and replacing parts, 2) use a meter starting at the heating element and working your way backwards through the power connections.

If you can find someone with a Voltmeter who knows how to use it, you can work your way through it pretty quickly - at least on a Suburban.

Atwood units are a little more difficult to troubleshoot. But, since they use a single reset button, if the heater works on propane, pressing the reset button won't help because a tripped ECO would disable both gas and electric modes. They have a single thermostat, so if it works on propane, the thermostat is working.

Oh wow. Ok now I am quite confused. Maybe I will call the mobile repair person I spoke with yesterday. I also have a handyman coming out today and hopefully he can help me troubleshoot. I have a voltmeter...good times! Lol

Thank you,
Katy

- - - Updated - - -

I found this switch to be "ON" in our rig but when I tried to cycle it off then back on it felt quite strange. The switch pries out easily and, after doing so, an ohm meter showed the switch had failed. A trip to Lazy Days and $8 later we had an electric water heater again!

This is encouraging!! :).

- - - Updated - - -

Ok thanks so much.

Katy

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Katy,

We have a troubleshooting guide that focuses in on the electric side of the Suburban Water Heater. You'll need a volt-ohm meter to run find the problem without guessing and throwing parts at it. Here's a link.

It's pretty common for the failure to be in the electric heating element, primarily because if you turn the water heater electric side ON with an empty tank, the element will be damaged in a very short time. But it can be other things.

The guide will also point you to the reset switch for the electric side, which may have tripped if the water got too hot for some reason.

Hello again Dan,

I will check this out, thanks so much!

Katy

Dreamer7

Hi Katy,

Hi Dan,

I just broke a sweat opening the water heater compartment. lol Turns out it is an Atwood. Is there a manual for that?

Thank you,
Katy

danemayer

Hi Dan,

I just broke a sweat opening the water heater compartment. lol Turns out it is an Atwood. Is there a manual for that?

Thank you,
Katy
Katy,

The Atwood units are a bit trickier to diagnose. I'm attaching a document that might help, but you may have to call in an RV tech to figure it out.

Attachments

• Atwood Electric diag.jpg
    Atwood Electric diag.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Atwood Water Heater Service Electric.pdf
    210.4 KB · Views: 32

Dreamer7

Katy,

The Atwood units are a bit trickier to diagnose. I'm attaching a document that might help, but you may have to call in an RV tech to figure it out.

Dan,

Ok, the attachment w the most writing won't open on my phone (not sure what php file is) and my computer doesn't have PDF...the fun continues. Could you possibly snap a pic of the first attachment and attach as a jpg or image?

Thank you. Also, luckily I have a small engine repair person and camper friend coming over in the next hour. Hopefully this will soon be worked out. Thanks a bunch.

Katy

Westwind

We have replaced the electric Thermostat which burned out on ours (1st year we used it to snowbird) and the second year the rocker switch let go, then the check valve year 3, and now another check valve year 5 also the annual annode rod replacement. I find Suburban HW heaters a pain in the Axx. Had a Atwood on my first trailer and the only thing was the annual flush and drain for winterizing. Heartland isn't the only manufacturer to us Suburban but if I replace it a Atwood will be my choice. I had tech's do the first 3 problems because hot water is my wife's priority, she's a retire nurse and everything needs hot water to be clean. During our first year of RVing in 2002 I learned all of her priorities when them became mine. LOL

danemayer

Dan,

Ok, the attachment w the most writing won't open on my phone (not sure what php file is) and my computer doesn't have PDF...the fun continues. Could you possibly snap a pic of the first attachment and attach as a jpg or image?

Thank you. Also, luckily I have a small engine repair person and camper friend coming over in the next hour. Hopefully this will soon be worked out. Thanks a bunch.

Katy
Ok, 2 pages in jpg format. On your computer, 2 or 3 clicks should open the jpg and let you view it at a good reading size.
Atwood Water Heater Service Electric_Page_1.jpg
Atwood Water Heater Service Electric_Page_2.jpg

Dreamer7

You can get the Adobe PDF reader for free using this link.

https://get.adobe.com/reader/

Cool, thanks! :)

- - - Updated - - -

We have replaced the electric Thermostat which burned out on ours (1st year we used it to snowbird) and the second year the rocker switch let go, then the check valve year 3, and now another check valve year 5 also the annual annode rod replacement. I find Suburban HW heaters a pain in the Axx. Had a Atwood on my first trailer and the only thing was the annual flush and drain for winterizing. Heartland isn't the only manufacturer to us Suburban but if I replace it a Atwood will be my choice. I had tech's do the first 3 problems because hot water is my wife's priority, she's a retire nurse and everything needs hot water to be clean. During our first year of RVing in 2002 I learned all of her priorities when them became mine. LOL

Wow! That's a lot of repairs! Glad at least Atwood seems better... Yes, hot water is uber important!

Dreamer7

Katy,

Hi Dan,

I installed the Adobe Reader so going to try to troubleshoot today. Crossing fingers! If no luck, when is the next Rally? haha. Someone would probably figure it out in mere minutes!

Katy

- - - Updated - - -

Katy,

Since I wasn't there when it wasn't working, I'm going to just fill tank and see if I can get it operating. How long would you say it should normally take to heat the water?

Thank you,
Katy

Oregon_Camper

Hi Dan,

I installed the Adobe Reader so going to try to troubleshoot today. Crossing fingers! If no luck, when is the next Rally? haha. Someone would probably figure it out in mere minutes!

Katy

- - - Updated - - -

Since I wasn't there when it wasn't working, I'm going to just fill tank and see if I can get it operating. How long would you say it should normally take to heat the water?

Thank you,
Katy
Electric isn't very efficient. Maybe around 30-40 minutes? Gas would be around 20 mins

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk