ElkRidge 35QSBS or ???

ihsolutions

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. I currently own a 2-month old 2005 Sunline F-293SR triple slide fifth wheel. It's an amazing coach, but the floorplan is ill-suited to to my family's needs. We need the ability to sleep more people, preferably something with bunks. The sunline is a high-end unit (quality wise) and I've looked at the Sundance (2998RB and 3300RLB) and was quite disappointed in the quality relative to what I currently have.

While on the factory tour last Friday an Elkridge was coming off the Sundance line. It seemed much nicer, and they have a floorplan with quad bunks (35 QSQB). I'd love to hear any feedback from owners or those who have seen one in person. No dealers in my area carry this line (nor the Eagle Ridge it replaced). I've seen the Big Horn line and liked them, but they have no bunk floorplan.

As I've looked at probably a dozen brands in the last month or so, it seems to be industry practice to only offer bunks on the lower end product lines. The quality units mostly have floorplans suited to full-timers or couples. So, among the lower-to-mid end units, I have to figure out which is best. Any feedback is much appreciated!

jimtoo

Hi Ihsolutions,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information. I'm sure some will jump in here and give you their view of the units.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

chloe2

We liked the Big Country Bunk Houses and the Elk Ridge Bunk Houses. The Big Country was a step up from the Elk Ridge in some respects, but the Elk Ridge had some really nice features such as the Cherry cabinets, a 1/2 bath in the back, a table in the bunk house, 16" aluminum rims and the 32" LCD TV.

The Big Country 3494 had R23 insulation in the roof versus R14 in the Elk Ridge. The Big Country also had a little higher end interior. The Bunk House model did not have the 1/2 bath option.

Hello,

We just purchased the Cedar Ridge extended stay trailer, and love it, but in our quest, we stumbled across the Elk Ridge 35DSRL. this 5er has a very unique floor plan that warrants checking out. It has an upper loft in addition to a den type room underneath adding lots of versitillity. we loved it. I hope you check it out!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
You might take a look at the Cyclones. Many have used the garage area for the kids. You also have to remember in the big scheme of things, generally most folks with young children are more interested in the lower end units as they don't have the disposable income for a higher priced RV, therefore they usually opt for a travel trailer versus a fifth wheel. Some folks with the older children are more interested in toy haulers like the Cyclone, Road Warrior or Razor. MHO

ihsolutions

Thanks for the input so far. I'll have to check out the Big Country bunk house. That must be a new model, or I missed it. Dave W (the guy who gave me the tour) said they were redone with new outside graphics for 2010.

I did check out the rear loft Elkridge and really liked it, except it lacked the half bath that the QSBS has. Ideally I would like to limit the number of slides (ie maintenance!). Four is a lot. Three would be better.

I'll take a look at the TH's but hadn't to this point because I assumed the pin weight was heavier. I'm pulling with a Chevy 2500HD D/A so even the 35 QSBS will be right at my limits, though a couple hundred pounds less in pin weight than what I'm currently pulling.