Emergency Exit Windows

GoodToGo

We just purchased a new 2018 30 Big Horn and my question is can you use the emergency exit window in the bedroom for air flow or is it just to be used in emergencies? The dealer told us that the emergency window in the lounge area in the back should not be opened much because it is hard on the lever? Is this true?

Thanks for you reply!

Mark-Roberta 051995

Hi and welcome - your Emergency windows are fine to use. They do have a different type of lever but we use ours in the living room with no concerns

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We just purchased a new 2018 30 Big Horn and my question is can you use the emergency exit window in the bedroom for air flow or is it just to be used in emergencies? The dealer told us that the emergency window in the lounge area in the back should not be opened much because it is hard on the lever? Is this true?

Thanks for you reply!

Is this a "new" design and they don't have screens and moveable glass panels in them? Our bedroom exit window has levers to release it, but the entire frame swings out. For ventilation, we just slide the glass panel to one side. The one in the living room does not have levers, but a glass panel and screen that slide out of the way. But then, ours was built many years ago and has withstood the test of time...more or less.

I have my own opinion about the functionality of those emergency exit windows in a real emergency. They're not designed for folks with any girth or mobility issues. Better to rely on multiple functioning smoke and CO detectors and good maintenance of your rig.

CDN

B and B
Is this a "new" design and they don't have screens and moveable glass panels in them? Our bedroom exit window has levers to release it, but the entire frame swings out. For ventilation, we just slide the glass panel to one side. The one in the living room does not have levers, but a glass panel and screen that slide out of the way. But then, ours was built many years ago and has withstood the test of time...more or less.

I have my own opinion about the functionality of those emergency exit windows in a real emergency. They're not designed for folks with any girth or mobility issues. Better to rely on multiple functioning smoke and CO detectors and good maintenance of your rig.

I open my windows to make the seal isn't glued and sticky not allowing opening when needed.

I agree on the suitability. If I have to get out of the Bedroom a drawer or closet door is going through the window and there will be lots of room!!

GoodToGo

Thanks for you reply!

Thank you all for your input now I know it is ok to open the window. Really needing to air out the "new" smell :)

BusManRG

I open ours, but just make sure that you’re careful about it. The window is meant to open and drop at a certain point so if you’re not careful you could actually have your window drop to the ground. That would not be good!

Sandy

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I open my windows to make the seal isn't glued and sticky not allowing opening when needed.
We have the sliding glass with the whole frame swinging out for egress in the garage on our Cyclone. Just a couple days ago I wiped the seals down with dry silicone to see if that will stop the frame from "gluing" to the seal. When it sticks it really sticks!

Gary521

We open ours all the time. The lever is not the strongest thing and not suitable if there is a strong breeze.

carl.swoyer

Thanks for you reply!
When ever I dry camp all the egress windows are prop open with skewers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk