Endless Hot water?

rvlsc

We are now officially FT in our RW420. One of our issues is the fact that while there is a bath tub in the unit, the hot water runs out prior to filling the tub. We have been looking the tank less hot water heaters and find the reviews vary and my biggest concern in hot water with partial flow (when washing up in one of the sinks). Also looking for recommendations as everyone claims to be the best.

Thank you!

The Petersohns

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtoo

Hi rvlsc,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will get some more recommendations from our other members soon.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

TxCowboy

RVLSC, the RW page at the Heartland website says you have a gas/electric water heater. Do you happen to have both sides of the water heater turned on? The combination of gas and propane at the same time should recharge (reheat) your hot water very quickly.

danemayer

Don't know how much water the tub holds, but sight unseen I would guess there should be enough hot water to fill it.

Do you get hot water or just luke warm water from the hot faucet?

IronJ

With both elect and gas running, my wife/daughter fill out RW 420 tub up easily?....they love bathing in there (my grey tank dissagrees) lol...we've never bathed when it was uber cold out though. ..maybe that makes a diff??..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Petersohns,
Welcome to the Heartland Owners Club and Family. As a whole, I believe tankless heaters have improved greatly in the last few years. I don't have any first hand experience however.

I believe Jim Beletti either has, or has had a tankless water heater in one of his rigs. Maybe he can chime in and add some information here. Trace

jayc

Legendary Member
I've seen lots of complaints on them on other forums. I've never had a tub in a trailer and never run out of hot water in the shower. For us, no reason to consider one.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
For what it's worth, my son has a whole house tankless WH (natural gas fired) in his house. He says if you're running a large quantity of water it's the the way to go. If you need just a bit of hot water it takes awhile to get up to temp after it fires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jbeletti

Trace is right - I've had a tankless water heater in the RV before. It was many years back from a company just getting into the tankless RV business. My experience was rough - though the product did evolve.

If I were doing this today - I'd go with the Truma. Their unit is amazing from my review (bench) of it with Truma. I've ready a couple of good user reviews too. $$ though :)

rvlsc

Thank you all for your feedback!

I will double check that the gas is working along with the electric prior to making a decision. I have done extensive (online only) research and the Truma appears to be the best. Should I make the decision to change to the tankless system I will update everyone on the outcome.

Thank you again,

Robert

rvlsc

So after investigation I have discovered that the electric heat is working, however the gas side atempts to fire but will not. The ignitor attempts and then shuts off.

I shut off the electric and attempted to run just on propane - it took more that 7 attempts before it actually fired up.

Any ideas??

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You might try to remove the burner tube and make sure it is clean.
Turn off both AC and DC power before taking it apart.

Peace
Dave